Thread: What am I?

Default What am I?

I recently acquired a 22' wooden yacht. It is believed to be a Len Randell design. Is there a site I can access to look up her details? Her name is Wraith.
    Believed to be built in the 1940s. Some have suggested she is a rugged but she is double ended rather than flat sterned.
    Any help would be appreciated.IMG_20181126_054529.jpg
    Last edited by Niffty1a; 11-25-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Default Re: What am I?

The Wooden Boat Forum is a good place to,start. Best if you post some pictures!

Try writing to
    Len Randell
    4A Blackwall Reach Parade
    BICTON WA 6157

Found this
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jackson View Post
    SMOKY CAPE is a double-ender built in 1973 for marine artist Jack Earl, who co-founded the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race and circumnavigated (not in this boat) in the late 1940s. The boat is 23'9" LOA, cold molded to a design by Len Randell.

Here's a look at SMOKY CAPE's unusual tiller, which I this is an elegant solution to the yawl steering problem. Rather than a swoopy lamination or complicated gear, the curved metal frame allows the tiller to swing as a normal tiller would. The ends of the frame no doubt provide positive stops to the swing of the tiller, which can be a good thing to prevent oversteering. The feel of the helm would be undistinguishable from regular tiller steering, which I think provides the best "feel" at the helm.

This yacht is BRITANNIA (not to be confused with the racing 18footer, obviously). Her information is in the next slide following this one.

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I spoke to Len about a decade ago and he was sharp as a tack. However, the information is on Trove, the national newspaper archive.

It seems that she's not just one of Len's designs, but formerly his own boat; https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...&searchLimits=

She was designed as an experimental light displacement boat;

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...&searchLimits=

There's a brief mention here too;

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...&searchLimits=

She's got some good history and sounds like a great boat. Does she have a diesel now? She looks a bit stern-down.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

So not a 'model type', but a bespoke. Looking sprightly for a 65 year old boat.
    She appears to be missing a mast. I see winches on the cockpit coaming, so not a putt putt.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Yay team, good job. Nice looking boat, missing 2 masts I reckon.

Yes she has a diesel ln board it's a 10 hp yarmah which pushes her along very nicely. Thanks for the links and information I hope to learn more about this great yacht as I enjoy working on her and can't wait to sail her. We are in the process of restoring her mast.