Thread: Hull Repair and Paint Removal Questions

Default Hull Repair and Paint Removal Questions

I'm replacing two plywood planks at the base of my Owens Sea Skiff. I'll have help with that from a pro. But when I have the Owens out of the water, I'm thinking of stripping the old paint off entirely, patching and sanding the hull where necessary, and repainting.

I'm an old house painter and I'm pretty good with a heat gun and hand scraper (I did my whole house, and others, over the years). Is that the best way to go? Also, what do I fill little gaps and bumps in the hull with?

Thanks for any advice. The adventure begins!

Default Re: Hull Repair and Paint Removal Questions

Well, it sounds like you know exactly what to do to strip that boat down to bare wood! I have found a new system that works well if, it is a big job. Dry ice pellet blasting gear can be rented and it does an amazing job, does not raise the grain and leaves all of the paint as dust in a drop cloth! The dry ice pellets gas off and disappear. All that needs to be done then is to fold up the drop cloth and dispose of the paint dust by the accepted method. Oh, did I mention that the process is very fast?
    Wishing you good fortune with your project! Please post some photos.
    Jay

Wait a second Jay! You're saying that standing there with a gun knocking the paint off while drinking a beverage of your choice is better than hours & hours (days?) with a scraper & heat gun? Say it ain't so!

I filled 2 35 gal. trash cans with scrapings when I did my boat with heat gun & scraper. Can't tell you how much fun it was...

One thing I did not like using the heat gun & scraper was the fumes. If doing it inside, make sure you have plenty of ventilation & wear a respirator. That said, it did do a good job.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Not sure I’d want to go at plywood with any kind of media.
    The biggest difficulty with plywood is the wavy hard and soft parts of the grain and keeping it smooth.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I had a plywood Owens as a teenager in the 60's.
    I recall it was an MDO ply. Paper covered.

Since you already possess a relevant skill for a perfectly reasonable approach... I'd use it. If you're working with a pro, maybe they - being more familiar with the details than any of us here @ WBF - can advise you also.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The dry ice blasting leaves the wood smooth and undamaged, not jagged and eroded as other blasting sysems do. It seems to not attack the wood at all. Note how a piece of veneered furniture is stripped of its damaged clear finish in the video below.
    Jay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj8FNkFYqbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Xfsj6u9Hc
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 11-25-2018 at 03:22 PM.

I am mystified as to why no one seems to be interested in following this up? I must admit that it is a very slick process, one that really works!
    Jay

I'm also removing bottom paint from plywood using a heat gun. How far down do you scrape or sand? Paint is still in the low part of the wood grain (see photo) and I don't think I want to sand it out all the way.
    Should I lightly sand and prep for primer?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I am mystified as to why no one seems to be interested in following this up? I must admit that it is a very slick process, one that really works!
    Jay
    How widely available is the kit, materials. and skilled operatives?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Skamp View Post
    I'm also removing bottom paint from plywood using a heat gun. How far down do you scrape or sand? Paint is still in the low part of the wood grain (see photo) and I don't think I want to sand it out all the way.
    Should I lightly sand and prep for primer?
    As long as your new paint is compatible with the old paint, sand smooth and remove any flakey stuff and get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    How widely available is the kit, materials. and skilled operatives?
    The process is international. Check on line for a service near you. Equiipment for rent as well as professional services are readily available in most major cities.
    Jay

Dry ice works, but it's expensive, at least where I live. DIY, renting the whole kit for a day is around 500€ plus the ice wich is +/- 1€/kg depending on quantity. If the profesionals do it it's 130€/h, ice included, plus a call-out fee.
    Soda blasting is also an option, cheaper than dry ice, but not so clean. A soft cedar might be better of with dry ice, but hardwoods and larch or douglas can be safely done with soda by a skilled operator.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    The process is international. Check on line for a service near you. Equiipment for rent as well as professional services are readily available in most major cities.
    Jay
    I just did.
    The nearest one to me does office equipment. https://www.yell.com/biz/mico-dry-ic...ipley-9418032/
    This firm https://ecoblastsupplies.co.uk/clean...-ice-blasting/ is 2 1/2 hours drive away, then the next closest is in Scotland. Not particularly near to me.
    Still I have learned about a new technique.

I looked it up in Vancouver the other day and the rental cost locally would seem to be more geared towards large jobs done by people with deep pockets. Quite expensive. That or businesses. It does look cool though. impressive!

It takes a bit of digging to find the right service or tool rental for CO2 ice blasting. Granted a lot of it is geared for larger boats and jobs but, it takes a bit of digging. The reward lies in the ease of operation and the pristine job it can produce. I am gearing for a special job on our house which will save an enormous amount of effort hence the savings that are made by the easier results and clean up. And, this process is 100% Ecco-friendly!
    Jay

I just did.
    The nearest one to me does office equipment. https://www.yell.com/biz/mico-dry-ic...ipley-9418032/
    This firm https://ecoblastsupplies.co.uk/clean...-ice-blasting/ is 2 1/2 hours drive away, then the next closest is in Scotland. Not particularly near to me.
    Still I have learned about a new technique.
    Maybe its a biz opportunity for you then? Fill the gap?

I had my (FG) boat soda blasted last year. In my life I have manually removed paint from many boat bottoms. I'll never do it again. Paying a " stripper" is worth it.
    The guy who did mine, uses a variety of media and techniques depending upon the susbtrate. He mentioned in fact, that boats were the third largest segment of his business. Second was car resto and first was furniture resto.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.