Thread: Do you own an old boat in the PNW? Square cut boat nails!

Default Do you own an old boat in the PNW? Square cut boat nails!

Big stash of square cut galvanized boat nails for sale in Seattle. Proper boat nails are getting hard to find, and these are the real thing. I bet you can get a screaming deal. These are the perfect for repairing that old boat without causing problems due to mismatched fastener materials.

I want to buy them, but really don't have a use- so I thought someone here might like them. No personal affiliation, just saw the ad on craigslist.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/m...746470026.html

Default Re: Do you own an old boat in the PNW? Square cut boat nails!

I find this upsetting and, not to put too fine a point on it, but -- dishonest.

These nails are rare and hard to come by. I have seen threads here asking about sources. Someone knows this. Someone who cares about wood boats. Someone who could have given these nails to a scrap dealer and got lunch money but instead carted them all over to the Center for Wooden Boats, you know, give back to the community, glorious maritime history, blah diddety blah blah.

CWB could have left them in the back room and told everyone they had them. They could have given them to a place that actually cares about wooden boats.

But no. Craigslist. "Suitable for boats, barns, pole construction and decking"

Hypocrisy and false pretenses really make me sick. Someone trusted this place and donated these unusual materials hoping they would be used for their real purpose by people who really cared about boats.

It's disgusting.

I know nothing about the materials offered for sale on the CL ad. But I do know a bit about CWB. And I would never jump to the conclusion that their staff were doing anything dishonest or disreputable in any possible manner.

Jeff

The problem is getting the word out that you have them, and CWB would not be allowed to advertise them for sale on this site, so putting them on Craig's list and someone pointing to it here is probably the optimum.

I think when someone donates to a charitable organization, they should do so without strings attached.
    It sounds to me, “Favorite” , that you are upset with the powers that be at the CWB for making the decision to turn the donation into cash. If a marine chandlery finds it difficult to justify the space to stock these nails, then the CWB probably has even less space for a very specialized commodity. Hope they sell for some decent cash.
    And I just went to www.tremontnail.com and they seem to still stock the very same heavy duty, galvanized, square cut boat nails. Most of the time I am trying to figure out a way to pull these nails out, but I would not hesitate to use them in a new build where appropriate, mostly they come into play for heavy scantlings and a very slim budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    I think when someone donates to a charitable organization, they should do so without strings attached.
    It sounds to me, “Favorite” , that you are upset with the powers that be at the CWB for making the decision to turn the donation into cash. If a marine chandlery finds it difficult to justify the space to stock these nails, then the CWB probably has even less space for a very specialized commodity. Hope they sell for some decent cash.
    And I just went to www.tremontnail.com and they seem to still stock the very same heavy duty, galvanized, square cut boat nails. Most of the time I am trying to figure out a way to pull these nails out, but I would not hesitate to use them in a new build where appropriate, mostly they come into play for heavy scantlings and a very slim budget.

This is the correct viewpoint. Cash is more useful to CWB than hundreds of pounds of nails that might be useful someday.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I do not find this very ethical.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    Someone trusted this place and donated these unusual materials hoping they would be used for their real purpose by people who really cared about boats

I think you are making a very large assumption here. You assume that the donators wanted CWB to use this material for its intended purpose. Its far more likely that they were cleaning out the shop/shed/workroom/barn/etc and wanted them to go somewhere that wasn't a scrap bin, but someplace that could benefit from this unique stash of fasteners. Enter CWB, a fitting and appropriate venue for such a gift. But how many large boats are they building that need such fasteners? It will take decades for them to use up these square nails, and in the meantime using up (probably valuable) space.

Instead, doesn't it make sense for an organization that is known by so many to be able to disseminate these nails out to those need them now, and be able to pay a few bills or buy lumber or....

They didn't sell a unique one-off to the highest bidder. Its just nails.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

The focus of the Center for Wooden Boats is small boats. When they are rebuilding one of the Blanchard Junior Knockabouts, for example, they need bronze screws. They are currently building a Winslow Kitten, and need bronze screws for that.

https://cwb.org/classes/kitten-boatbuilding-project/

These nails are still in production, so they aren't rare, and the ad is likely to attract someone who needs this particular kind of nails. Anyone who just wants regular nails will go to a hardware store.

I've worked at maritime museums where items (such as the nails mentioned) have been donated, sometimes tools, materials, etc., for their boat shops. They are often gifted items that do not bear directly on their mission and pass through a process of deaccession and sometimes a sale. A few days ago I was asked to research a set of beautiful, unused, wood shell blocks that came in to our local historical society. The owner had passed away and donated the contents of his workshop to the society. Some items were appropriate for them to keep, having local historical significance. Others were not. Some are passed along to other organizations should they have an interest. The blocks are of Canadian manufacture, of no particular historical or local significance, and I've been asked to sell them for the society's benefit. I hope they will bring good money, all of which will go to the society.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 11-20-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    I find this upsetting and, not to put too fine a point on it, but -- dishonest.

These nails are rare and hard to come by. I have seen threads here asking about sources. Someone knows this. Someone who cares about wood boats. Someone who could have given these nails to a scrap dealer and got lunch money but instead carted them all over to the Center for Wooden Boats, you know, give back to the community, glorious maritime history, blah diddety blah blah.

CWB could have left them in the back room and told everyone they had them. They could have given them to a place that actually cares about wooden boats.

But no. Craigslist. "Suitable for boats, barns, pole construction and decking"

Hypocrisy and false pretenses really make me sick. Someone trusted this place and donated these unusual materials hoping they would be used for their real purpose by people who really cared about boats.

It's disgusting.
    Nah, it's fine.

The person or persons who donated these materials had the chance to deduct from their taxes the fair value of the materials. Otherwise, donations like this are pretty much no-strings attached. (A transfer of an item from one museum to another is a little bit different. Though there would still be a path to deaccession an item in their collection and sell it outright.)

CWB can't really afford to be the local warehouse for lost dreams, at least not anymore. Donated materials that can be sold for cash are hugely helpful for covering operating costs at non-profits like CWB. Seattle is an expensive place to run an organization. Space is expensive and limited, insurance is expensive, people are expensive to employ.

CWB has held a couple open house swap meets over the years to clear out donated or unneeded goods and materials and raise a bit of cash.

Anyone who wants to help CWB can visit here: http://cwb.org/join-support/ways-to-give/
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.