Thread: Best design features for a homemade plywood family inshore power boat

Default Best design features for a homemade plywood family inshore power boat

Stability... appropriate for all ages
    Capacity... comfortable seats for 2-6 family members
    Shallow draft... for easy trailering, launching, exploring and beaching
    Planing speed with modest power
    Easy to build in a garage, and to store on a trailer
    Beauty

Default Re: Best design features for a homemade plywood family inshore power boat

Planing potentially 6 adults across the water may require more than modest horsepower...a slightly bigger boat than otherwise...and cost money: but that's relative to what you consider modest. A wider, flatter, chined plywood hull that more efficiently provides lift to plane innately will be less curvacious than something rounder that most classically would generally describe as 'beautifull' in shape like a Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff: a necessary compromise, but beauty can be conferred by a deeper physical understanding of the object and why it is the way it is. Sheer and tumble home can still be played with. Compared to a yacht, any planing powerboat is relatively simple to build and easy to launch: a roller tilting axle trailer is the king maker here.

I think looking at the overall picture, you're probably only going to be out by yourself or one other person most of the time...plywood...chined planing hull...what most consider modest power etc...not too overbearing to trailer launch...a B & B Marissa might be in your sweet spot. Things are going to get bigger and more expensive to be comfortably seating 6 pretty quickly or you'll have to to temper the speed requirement to semi planing.

What are your ballpark expectations for length (how long is your garage), horsepower your comfortable paying for and weights of the 6 people?

Default Re: Best design features for a homemade plywood family inshore power boat

22 footer. Modest power - 30hp outboard. Semi planing I guess...
    2 to 4 people... 6 might be stretching it a bit, unless some of them are small people.
    I find it quite beautiful. I'm just beginning building one right now.
    http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Articl...ret/index.html

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

"Semi planing", I never heard of that.
    Is it a thing?
    Is it knowing the boat will only plane when lightly loaded?

As above, not sure about the planing bit.

Otherwise I'd say you've described the Redwing 22 or perhaps 18.
    http://www.cmdboats.com/rw18.htm

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Bolger Idaho

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vox3gnHtAE4

Or Shortened Tennessee
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    "Semi planing", I never heard of that.
    Is it a thing?
    Is it knowing the boat will only plane when lightly loaded?
    As a standard boat reaches its ‘displacement’ speed its vertical center of gravity starts to drop. If the boat travels faster, it will start to develop hydrodynamic lift. The semi displacement zone is the period between displacement and the point at which that VCG is back level to the static point. Above this speed, more lift generated raises the VCG progressively above static levels, the semi planing period, until eventually planing occurs.

The optimum design parameters for an owner looking for maximum efficiency in semidisplacement and semi planing conditions are different. For example a slenderness ratio of 12 is optimum efficiency at semi displacement speed, while a SL ratio of 7 is required for optimum semi planing efficiency.

With regard to then OP, I was referring to the choice if a low horsepower motor was necessary for cost while carrying 6 people, you could instead run at lower speeds and design the boat optimally. In chop and adverse conditions a slender semi displacement boat can be a more useful tool.

Planing with 6 adults might be pushing things but here's my vote for the ultimate fast inshore cruiser.

Bartender 22 (also available in other lengths). https://bartenderboats.com.

For a displacement cruiser I would vote for Tad Roberts' Timbercoast Troller. Plans also available from Bartender.

(This one is aluminum but plans are available for plywood construction and one is being built in France)