Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Great Design Features in Boats

Default Re: Great Design Features in Boats

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    thanks, John, much appreciated, of course; but as my wife would no doubt be reminding me right now if she were reading this over my shoulder, it's not a sailing vacation we're after! (Even if some of us might be inclined that way...)

I'll be keenly interested in seeing Long Steps and Sei in person for sure. The catching up with a friend I haven't seen in a few years will be the best part, though.

Tom
    I appreciate your position, just pulling your leg ever so gently.
    With luck though we can take Kairos, ( the ship) across to the big bird sanctuary about 10 miles from here and do a walk ashore to see the native birdlife close up.

A week and a day, see you soon.

John

BTW, sailing, if we were inlined that way? Did you realise that monohull sailors are more inclined than catamaran sailers?
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

New Zealand is lovely, Tom. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'll be there again for a few weeks in late December/January myself.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Tom arrives here at my place in less than two weeks, I am very sure that we're going to have some really interesting discussions on this subject, as I write I'm taking a few minutes break from working on Long Steps, which is a whole different set of compromises from the usual sail and oar cruiser, but then she's intended for a whole different purpose. There are in fact at least two further along with their build of that design than I am, and its quite possible that I'll be finding out how the design performs from one or other of them before I get mine in the water. But I;m trying to catch up.

John Welsford
    Don't doubt for a moment your clients will be very happy John, That will be an interesting discussion after a couple of splashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hvalsoe View Post
    Don't doubt for a moment your clients will be very happy John, That will be an interesting discussion after a couple of splashes.
    I'm very much looking forward to hearing what they've got to say. James McMullen will be here a few days after Tom Pamperin arrives ( we'll have to put a bit more bouyancy under the island to stop it sinking with both of them here) and I'm keen to hear what those two have to say.

So when are you coming to visit/

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I'm very much looking forward to hearing what they've got to say. James McMullen will be here a few days after Tom Pamperin arrives ( we'll have to put a bit more bouyancy under the island to stop it sinking with both of them here) and I'm keen to hear what those two have to say.

So when are you coming to visit/

John Welsford
    Appreciate the thought re New Zealand.
    James and Tom visiting at the same time . . . ?!
    Therein, broadly speaking, will be represented 3 highly respectable schools of thought - Welsford/Oughtread/Kurlyko. And of course other designers whose work the two and three of you have experience on the water with. That would add several more names. I've seen one of the posse migrate from a Kurlyko to Oughtread style arrangement, and I've heard another of the posse express interest in moving away from an open Oughtread arrangement to something, more like a Wellsford. Always felt it would be a good investment to study, with respect, a set of your plans John.
    Eric

No, not at the same time! I've carefully managed my visit to avoid having to face "the James" in person. I did that once. It was horrible. He made me steer with a push-pull tiller, and insisted on having this tiny little sail at the back of the boat. That just seemed too weird to me.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Agreed. That guy James has some really weird preferences. Definitely shouldn't be used as a role model--a warning, maybe.

I have two friends with CY's who will switch from push-pull sticks to ordinary helm again and I had encouraged them to a pp thing. Only one CY with pp left I think. Donald Duck used to go to Marrakech in situations like these.

Cockpit drains often have a maddening habit of back flowing and creating a lake on the lee side of the cockpit well. This often leads to wet shoes, sox, boots and pant legs which, can be uncomfortable for those who are on watch in that area of the boat. I usually design cockpits that are slightly lower forward than aft and have drains on both ends of the well which, doubles the drainage efficiency. The forward low end keeps most of the water away from the feet of the helmsman and keeps the weight of some of the water closer to the center of gravity of the hull. Crossing the drain lines athwart ships, when possible, basically eliminates back flow through the drains. Water slopping back and forth on the lee side of the cockpit well is not something that makes for comfort on a cold day or night!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hvalsoe View Post
    Appreciate the thought re New Zealand.
    James and Tom visiting at the same time . . . ?!
    Therein, broadly speaking, will be represented 3 highly respectable schools of thought - Welsford/Oughtread/Kurlyko. And of course other designers whose work the two and three of you have experience on the water with. That would add several more names. I've seen one of the posse migrate from a Kurlyko to Oughtread style arrangement, and I've heard another of the posse express interest in moving away from an open Oughtread arrangement to something, more like a Wellsford. Always felt it would be a good investment to study, with respect, a set of your plans John.
    Eric
    Thank you for the implied compliment there Eric. much appreciated.
    I rarely get the opportunity to sit and talk with people such as yourself, James, Tom and others with experience in both use and design in the field of serious open boat cruising. I miss that, and am very much looking forward to those two visiting.
    I'm always open to constructive criticism, and new ideas.

On the steering thing, I'm drawing a boat that will have a whipstaff connected to the rudder with a power boat push pull steering cable. I have to get the movement around an aft cabin that has a mizzen on top, and the customer doesnt want to have a wheel taking up space in the mid cockpit so the whipstaff is a reasonable solution to the many problems that this layout poses.

John Welsford