Thread: Temporary Finishing Space

Default Temporary Finishing Space

Dear Folks,

I am in charge of a space that is intended to operate repairs on many boats. We want to do some varnishing but our area is limited and our budget even more so. What I would like to do is build a temporary space to do finishing that I could take down when not in use. I was curious if you folks had an idea about a way to do that with out building a whole new building.
    I was thinking of building a frame and then shrink wrapping in to keep dust out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Temporary Finishing Space

I wouldn't use shrink-wrap, just poly sheets sealed with poly tape. Then introduce fan-forced air filtered through furnace filters to maintain positive-pressure clean air inside the enclosure. I believe you can buy adhesive-backed zippers to allow enclosure access.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I wouldn't use shrink-wrap, just poly sheets sealed with poly tape. Then introduce fan-forced air filtered through furnace filters to maintain positive-pressure clean air inside the enclosure. I believe you can buy adhesive-backed zippers to allow enclosure access.
    This, with 6 mil vapor barrier poly, in panels that can be disassembled and stored out of the way.

Or just hose down the floor to keep the dust from kicking up until the varnish dries, wipe your surface well with a good tack rag before varnishing, and just do it. It's not rocket science. You don't need a NASA "clean room." Just make sure somebody isn't stripping bottom paint with a grinder right next to you.

Do not attempt to control dust beyond basic measure. Rub it out.