Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AK Argie

Quote Originally Posted by ron ak View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, after what, eight months, I’m back. Hacked out some daggerboard sides, ground the mid ship aft seat risers to fit (mostly, need slight fine tuning) and chopped out a daggerboard. Did some rough shaping with a 36 grit belt, ummm need to be careful. That job I thought might take forever went pretty fast, might be a wee bit over the guidelines in a couple places, but it’ll be fine. Keep moving.

Default Re: AK Argie

Looking good!

Done shaping the dagger board. As you can see I cheated a bit and went with some 3/4 (20mmish) marine ply I had on hand. Pragmatic or lazy, not sure, but am trying expedite the build and not get too carried away with custom features. Was going to do the pivoting center board, but think this will be easier to plug when I take down the sails and crank up the outboard. Did have to do a very small amount of filling of the veneer where it was void. Liking my dust extractor I had hooked to the sanders.

got some glass on one side of the board finally. The dog is unimpressed. As usual. It’s been tough though as the skiing has been good, well, for skiing next to the ocean, Fred can relate. 😆oh and then it takes time to extract ones self from head plants like this. thinking I might feel it in the morning.

I believe you found your mast!

My experience of glassing one side of the board at a time has convinced me that doing the other side as soon as practical is a good idea.

I'm enjoying your build, keep the updates coming.

I didn't want to look at that first snow pic too long cause I was worried an avalanche might come down on me

I hadn't caught this build. Thanks for sharing. I'm planning to build the 10ft version for a dinghy for the big boat.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Glassed side two tonight. Sighted down the front edge trying to decide if I could see a hook from doing sides a couple nights apart. Jury is deliberating. Neck is a bit sore though from the epic head plant. Hopefully this is the worst of it, not too bad considering the abuse I applied. Should be more careful. 😆

Got two or three coats on the dagger board, enough to get the idea of the final thickness. From there I was able to rip the strip between the DB sides so the case fit snug around the board but not too tight, I hope. In this pic I’ve screwed the front ends of the upper DB casing reinforcements to my temp work station so I can slather them up with (reg epoxy and then some thickened) and then some screws. Hopefully will be able to assemble the case soon and get it installed to tie in the aft mid-ship seat riser etc and then I can CUT A HOLE in the bottom of my boat!

was a bit concerned about locating and installing my dagger board case. Helps having the center line on the bottom panel where I drilled the larger hole near the middle of the slot. I could then measure from the topside and drill some small holes to start a larger bit at either end of the slot. not as traumatic as I made it out to be. The line on the bottom panel really helped. And I tried to cut it shy all around but went over a little some places, glad I aimed for shy of the line. this is a good feeling. Glued, clamped, screwed, etc. and after inadvertently gluing the case to my workbench a couple days ago and having to spend nearly a half hour working it loose, I feel pretty confident I don’t have to worry about it coming loose from here, ever.

I’m back! Finally. Yeah, bathroom remodel last winter (did turn out nice if I do say so myself), then spent the summer getting kid one married up in the age of COVID. Few complications but very much worth it. He married a great gal and her family is awesome! (I case they ever read this) 😂. No really they’re all cool, very lucky.
    Oh yeah, the boat. So reading Dudley’s instructions again and decided, get out there and do the three coats of epoxy on all interior surfaces. Except I hadn’t filleted rear mid seat bulkhead and daggerboard, so had to do that. And tape it. Then I stopped by my preferred local paint shop which is also my go to for System 3 epoxy supplies. (Used West on the Pygmy Kayak and no complaints with that stuff BTW). Anywho, my dealer says check out this S1 epoxy sealer stuff. Your boat will last for ever cause the capillaries in the wood will absorb this stuff and not water. Your brain will also absorb the fumes from the s1 so make sure your approved respirator has fresh charcoal cartridges and you ventilate well. Goes on easy and seems like a great idea. Going to and a coat or two of regular epoxy over the two coats of this that I did. Though apparently I didn’t do the process quite right. Read up.

Looks very neat. Keep them photo's coming.