Thread: AK Argie

Default AK Argie

Alright, hauled the plywood home tonight, getting ready to scarf.
    I should look through the plans patterns etc (read instructions?). Have a general idea, 8-1 scarf, thicken epoxy to honey, six mil between three joints to keep from sticking whole thing together. B82BE76C-9114-4ADF-B6FB-E2CEFBB32881.jpg78F863C4-54D5-44F4-B1A0-577740BEEB10.jpgFiguring out how the posting works here so Ill apologize now for my lack of sophistication, but in the interest of furthering the interest of newbies like me etc. well see what I can get on here. AND more importantly I may have a question or two at some point that I would appreciate some advice, input, etc. so fire away as you see fit. Thanks, ron

Default Re: AK Argie

Good luck Ron! I look forward to seeing your build progress.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

IMG_0125.jpgIMG_0128 - Copy.jpgIMG_0133.jpgIMG_0136.jpgWell, tried via the mobile (phone) cause it has pictures on it but I don't appear to be smart enough, but it was a good day so I have to report. Got scarfs cut 8-1 with 3 1/2" Makita electric planer first, then my 3x24 Makita belt sander (magic machine, it has done a lot of good work for me) then used the Bosch random orbital to finish things off. Did the scarfs come out perfect? No. My fist time. I have a picture of what happens when you go over the line on the top sheet of the stack. Oh well, I think the hull will be painted eventually and it will be a memory. But after first saturating the scarfs then slapping some honeyish thickened on the cuts and putting them together, i'm feeling pretty good, had some nice squeeze out. Will try to get some pics inserted.
    Last edited by ron ak; 12-05-2018 at 12:38 AM.

DudleyDix Argie15?

I use Tapatalk-app on my mobile, and uploading photos via that app works well..

Good luck

Fred

D174799B-9E38-4D15-A95F-11157FE8B389.jpg2BE8AF75-F409-44E4-BDF2-AC05ED86196D.jpgB2862B8C-C9A5-466A-8E43-B7C7A235F83E.jpg
    And the winner of the pattern to ply transfer contest is the spikey looking one, forget the purple thing. But only use it on the curved pieces, right? Much faster to make a few marks at the corners with your awl on the straight line panels and connect with your straight edge. And speaking of the patterns, I’d heard there may be a “situation” if you scarf your Argie panels together rather than doing the prescribed method. Well, as you can see my panels came up a bit short compared to the patterns! Oops. Looks like I’m going to have to move that line a bit and live with a shorter boat.(Update. Got to laying the patterns on my slightly shortened scarfed panels, and guess what? Plenty of room! Jeez, what you get for "listening" to stuff on that internet! ) That is also the note I put on the blue tape at the end of the bottom panel I started cutting out. (so the plot thickens, since I thought my panels were 3/8" short, I went ahead and trimmed 3/8" off the bottom panel since I had it right there....)(tune in later for the fix) I free handed the lines with a carpenter pencil following the holes from the spikey tool. Not perfect but hope it will fair ok with block plane when I smooth down to the line.
    Last edited by ron ak; 12-30-2018 at 11:55 PM. Reason: became enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by ron ak View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much all the pieces cut out on the floor using doubled up 2x’s under for “saw horses”. Mostly following pencil lines drawn in on the holes left by the Spikey transfer wheel, X where the material was softer and the holes very obvious. Up on the horses now, the adjustable horses that get the pieces up higher are nice. Getting a good workout now with the block plane bringing the cuts/shape down to the little line of dots. Actually going pretty well, need to pay attention so the dots don’t completely disappear!

So I matched up the “identical” panels I cut from the same pattern and after all my careful cutting and planing to the line.... they didn’t match! Well, they were actually pretty close, but I marked the “fat”, the overhang on the larger of the two panels and did a little more trimming, 30 minutes for the two sets of hull panels. Hopefully it will pay off whe I put things together.
    And speaking of that, it’s about to happen. Not really sure why I’m cutting out scrap material to test it all, maybe because I’m going to to try using some dowels inside the hull to help with the alignment of the panels when I zip them together. Is good to play with the layout before I start putting holes in the bottom of my boat. 😊

Good choice stiching together with zip ties! Looking good so far, no the fun part starts!

Finally getting some panels put together! The grippy gloves and the small needle nose pliers with a bend in the jaws really help pulling the ties in position.

Had to remove these lower ties to get the bottom panels evened up. Bit of a wrestling match, but got them evened up eventually. Think I’m winning, but we’ll see.

Last edited by ron ak; 01-24-2019 at 01:11 AM. Reason: clarification

Coming together and a quick measurement bow back to both ends is pretty close. Glad I wrestled the bow.

Little jig giving me idea what 18 degrees off the bottom looks like, maybe close to 15 vs. the water line. Around what the outboard people recommend, hopefully works ok with the rudder installation.

Very nice! Keep the photos coming please.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Adding some 3/4 to the original 6 mm to bring the transom up to about an inch as I hope to maybe hang a 9.9 on there when the wind isn’t cooperating.

Because the transom is an inch thick now I decided I needed to do some beveling to get thing matching up a bit closer. Power plane came in handy again.

Last edited by ron ak; 01-28-2019 at 12:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Every so often you have to just stop and take a step back. Put a hold on the build while I celebrated the build with an addition to the “man cave/boat shop”. Hopefully this will help with my organization/increase efficiency on the build if I can find what I was looking for. But then I have been accused of having man vision.

You are not talking about the calendar are you?

Build looking good!

First, kudos to building in Alaska. I hope you're able to source the stuff you need easily enough. I used to work for a chandlery that had a store in Homer. I'm currently in the US Virgin Islands and don't know if I'd be able to build a boat down here. It was fun enough building in Seattle.

Second, using those bits of dowels under the zip ties is brilliant! That's a great trick to distribute the weight, reduce tear-out, etc. Thanks for sharing.

First saw the “dowel trick” in Wooden Boat. Now I see a good explanation on the West System site attributed to a mr. Dan Anderson. Seemed to help the most in the bow where the inside angles are most extreme.

Ahhh, ggggg, rrrrrr, hhhhh. And that’s about all I can say about installing the transom. Most of my consternation is of my own making. Related to making it an inch thick and trying to get close to an 18 degree angle off the bottom. Glad it’s where it’s at and we’re movin’ on.

Ahhh, ggggg, rrrrrr, hhhhh. And that’s about all I can say about installing the transom. Most of my consternation is of my own making. Related to making it an inch thick and trying to get close to an 18 degree angle off the bottom. Glad it’s where its at and we’re movin’ on.

Anybody know what is up with Tapatalk inserting the additional characters in my posts?

Anybody know what is up with Tapatalk inserting the additional characters in my posts? Fred?

Beginning the fillet process, at last. Going pretty well, glad I watched Russell Brown’s video on the subject from his Mastering Epoxy series. Probably would have been easier starting in the middle, some tight spots up front!

Dont know if its anything wrong with tapatalk, your post shows ok...

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Bog in a bag, or special filler mixture in squeezie bag. Maybe I can be a cake decorator someday. Anyway, makes it easier to get it where you want it.

Special mix one part 404 and two parts each 406 and 407. Per Russell at PT Watercraft.

Just about done with the bog. Though I see I have a few holes above the fillet I need to hit before I tape the joints. Sounds like I’m taping drywall. Done that, probably helps, but like working on boats more.

After the hours and hours of filleting, taping all the seams in an evening is refreshing.

Oh ya, was going to mention that putting some tension, sort of stretching the tape as you roll it down the valley seems to help to get it applied straighter and with fewer lumps that turn into bubbles.

Adding some plywood gussets that rest on plywood pads glued to the bottom for reinforcement of the thick transom etc. for when she’s in outboard mode. Loving the Fein multi master with small blade for cutting notches to fit the seat supports... and the bench belt sander not shown for grinding parts to fit the last little bit. Good to leave the notches a bit shallow then grind the end of the supports to get them flush.

Very pretty fillets.

I applaud your efficient use of space in your workshop. You know that you've built the biggest boat possible when you can barely get around your boat!

Kenny
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin