Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

Default Re: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

Phenomenal Gib! I showed my wife your pics and when I said you'd be painting it she sighed. I gotta admit, that'd look gorgeous bright, but for a "mobile campsite" it'd be waaaay too much maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    And never to be forgiven!! Actually, thank you for prompting me Tim. Sometimes I need that.
    ...sure, no problem... just don't ask me if there is any progress on mine...

For Mother's day Lovey made us a peach pie. It's a real struggle trying not to overeat here. The summer I went camping I lost 17 pounds in 3 months going from 192 to 175. My own cooking never looks like this.

Big Dory Build 10 004.jpg

5 layers of 7/16 AYC for the outer stem. It's tapered, about 4 1/2 at the chine by 3 at the sheer. Funny how that worked out, I didn't anticipate it, but I like it.

Big Dory Build 9 007.jpg

Big Dory Build 9 003.jpg

One of my favorite parts of boat building is the odd bit of sculpting.

Big Dory Build 9 004.jpg

At the "garboard" there's 7/8 of strips, 1/4 of veneer, two coats of sealer, one layer of 10 oz., 2 coats of epoxy, one layer of 1/4, 2 coats of sealer, 2 layers of 10 oz., and two coats of epoxy. I've used over 10 gallons so far.

Ken, the world class kayak builder and racer who posted earlier as Kennee, gave me a gallon of Interlux InterProtect 2000, an epoxy waterproofing barrier coat. That will go on the garboard next, about 3 coats, which is what's recommended, will use it up. I want to keep the water off of those 18/8 (304) staples for as long as possible. I read that crevice corrosion can only happen in the presence of moisture.

Here's the second layer of glass. I used butt joints this time since there are 2 layers with the joints staggered. The glass being on the outside it won't add much strength but it does act as reinforcement for the epoxy which is there to harden up the cedar and make it waterproof. Then again, there being so much of it there will be strength added, not that it needs it.

Big Dory Build 9 08.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 05-16-2019 at 02:03 AM.

I like the way you shaped that stem.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    I like the way you shaped that stem.
    It looks better in person Ben.

I forgot to mention the 2 layers of 3 inch 6 oz. tape applied to the AYC strip. The waterline can take a beating sometimes and it was easier to apply than the 10 oz that doesn't have a selvedged edge to wrap over the rounded strip and form a good joint with the glass above the waterline.

Big Dory Build 9 09.jpg

Big Dory Builp 9 10.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 05-13-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Looks like I may not get away this summer due to all of the time spent cleaning up storm damage. I was hoping to get to go see this handsome fella, destined to be the next alpha if he lives that long. He's 2 years old now and may remember me well enough not to hide when I'm about and he may be moving on to start his own family pretty soon. I just like to slip in a wolf pic from time to time here on the forum.

Nikon Summer 2017 452.jpg

Attachment 37370

OK, that's all for now out to the shop to install the skegs and start the InterProtect.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 05-13-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Nice garden Gib. I have one plowed and ready to plant but it's been raining every day for a year. Seems like rice might be a good crop. I'm tired of feeding the deer herd anyway I probably skip it this year.

Last photo link came back as "invalid" Gib. Dory looks fab, stem looks beef.....

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Last photo link came back as "invalid" Gib. Dory looks fab, stem looks beef.....

Fixed it.

The stems are massive for sure. It doesn't need all of that wood except that I wanted a lot of gluing surface for the strips and then the outer stem needed to be that deep to look right.

Re missing the wolves this year: any thought of a shorter, light load visit to check in? I get that logistics are daunting, but you've been out there before, with the tinnie...
    Bigdory looks great, your progress has been quick (quicker without the storm mess, but still) and I'll add to the voices appreciating your shop, place, and life choices!

thx for the ceiling info and your place looks really nice, as does the boat. shame to cover it up with paint tho. are you near the water, i forgot if you mentioned it.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    It looks better in person Ben.
    I believe that.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

I love the wolf pics! And I think it's marvelous that you can combine your interests in boating/boatbuilding and wildlife!
    I would suggest you make every effort to visit your wolf friends this year; I'm at the stage of life where "next year" is far too uncertain...
    Thanks for sharing these aspects of your life with us!
    regards
    pvg

Gib, Recommended reading if you haven't already, "Never Cry Wolf" by Farley Mowat. All of your posts followed, always interesting, always educational. Thanks

ZZ

My only comment on the boat, the shop, the garden and all : " simply elegant" !!! A beautiful build, Gib - and thanks especially for posting all the pictures....

Rick