Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

Default Re: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

It did it again, a repeat and an extra this time. Ho Hum. Movie time anyway.

Looking good. I like the joggle stick variation.
    -Dave

gib, that is nice fast work. i am new so can you show some of the other boats you have built?

jim

Gib,
    Thanks for sharing these pics and your project. I have shop (and wood) envy! Are you monitoring the wolf population on Vancouver island? Can’t wait to see this build come together. Thanks!

I like the profile of the stem...

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    gib, that is nice fast work. i am new so can you show some of the other boats you have built?

jim
    Sure, the ones since I joined the forum and started uploading to the computer, briefly. And, you say fast, but it's been over 9 weeks now.

This one scanned, built in '94 for my son Christopher, hence "Christopher's Dory".

Scan 120580000.jpg

A whaleboat wannabe. 40 MPG at 6 MPH with a six horse 4 stroke Tohatsu.

rowboat 134.jpg

First iteration of Christopher's Dory, scaled up but not proportionately, for my own use.
    46.jpg

Pedal, trolling motor and oar powered. My favorite.

028.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-18-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedarfish View Post
    Gib,
    Thanks for sharing these pics and your project. I have shop (and wood) envy! Are you monitoring the wolf population on Vancouver island? Can’t wait to see this build come together. Thanks!
    Just in one small (150 square miles plus or minus 20%) area. That's 4 packs, and just for my own enjoyment, although I did spend a couple of weeks assisting Ian MacAllister and a crew from IMAX filming for a documentary they're working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I like the profile of the stem...
    Thanks. I think it would have looked a bit better like this one which appears to be reaching out and grabbing at the future,

Big dory.jpg

or this one

JunkDory-5.jpg

or this one

Lowell surf dory.jpg

but while I wanted the easy entrance I didn't want the extra windage so raked it a little more near the bottom and curved it up a bit as it neared the sheer.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-18-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Here's the chine getting laminated in place.

Big Dory Build 037.jpg

Big Dory Build 038.jpg

Here's where the drawknife really came into it's own. The lower outboard edge is a knife edge. To project the bevel I ran a handsaw up the edge of the frame then used a long batten to connect the ends of the saw kerfs. From there it was much like the stems with cross cuts every 3 or 4 inches from the knife edge in to the line then go at it with the drawknife then with the block plane. I might have used the slick but it's heavy and the work was up pretty high even standing on 2 stacked milk crates, too hard on the shoulders. I needed a little pulling exercise anyway.

Big Dory Build 040.jpg

I put the camera on the tripod today, so once we get to the new pics there won't be any camera shake. A few to go yet though.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-18-2018 at 10:04 PM.

I spent days beveling by the time it was all done. Hard labor but I stuck with it until it was right. Here are the chips and shavings from the chine. The frame chips and shavings were in a big box as fire lighter for the shop wood stove by then. It's getting cold enough that I have to have a fire for an hour or 2 in the morning for comfort's sake and for proper glue curing.

Big Dory Build 042.jpg

My favorite part of the boat so far, stuff coming from every direction. That's 2 layers of 3/4 HydroTek. I would have used AquaTek to save a few dollars but already had the HydroTek so saved even more. That's important now that prohibition is over here and I lost almost half of my income helping a licensed "medical" gro op. We still have our CPP and OAP and I still sharpen the knives at the restaurants and do the caretaking thing for a friend a couple of miles down the road.

Big Dory Build 046.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-18-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Another shot of the bottom. It looks long and skinny because it is. I expect to get 10 MPG at 6 or 7 MPH with the 25 at 1/3 throttle and won't be surprised if it does better. I'd like to go with just a 9.9 but don't think it would be enough in heavy weather and rough seas.

That's the joggle stick bulkhead in place. The aft end of the stem is cut plumb and the bulkhead and frame is screwed right to it, bedded in epoxy. Same thing aft.

Big Dory Build 047.jpg

Big Dory Build 048.jpg

See the lights up there? Rob would like them, cheapo stainless salad bowls with hardware from the electric section of the hardware store. Saved hundreds.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-18-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks for sharing this.

I don't envy you being anywhere near Cape Scott over the winter, it must be pretty nautical up there even behind an island or up a bay.

Good luck!
    F/V No Quarter
    1973 Grand Banks 42 Troller

Envy tour shop... Interesting project

2 x 3/4" on the bottom is a pretty serious foundation! Are you planning on a few hairy surf landings, or is it just because you can?
    I love the budget workshop lights, might have to steal that idea.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

thx for the previous boat build pics. nice work!

jim

Gib,

What is TAKING so long? I’m lucky enough to have studied the lines for Christopher’s dory, and if this new big bad boy ends up looking half as sweet, this is going to be one handsome boat.

I can’t wait to see you in her, heading off to your dream. Not because I want to rush, but because I would love to see this come to fruition. It’s the whole dream I love, and I know the boat is step one. You’re awesome, Brother.

Enjoy!

And, if you meant me, yeah, of course I like them!

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-on-the-Boat View Post
    Thanks for sharing this.

I don't envy you being anywhere near Cape Scott over the winter, it must be pretty nautical up there even behind an island or up a bay.

Good luck!
    You can't hide from the rain or cold, except by being in the cabin, but you can get out of the wind by going behind an island in a cove off of an inlet. It's the sudden changes in transit that are rough. "Pretty nautical". I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    2 x 3/4" on the bottom is a pretty serious foundation! Are you planning on a few hairy surf landings, or is it just because you can?
    I love the budget workshop lights, might have to steal that idea.

Pete
    No hairy surf landings thank you, it's too big for that, but I want the weight down low, will be adding some inside ballast, and I spend a lot of time in shallow water where surprises abound. I also want to be able to let it sit on the bottom when the tide goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Gib,

What is TAKING so long? I’m lucky enough to have studied the lines for Christopher’s dory, and if this new big bad boy ends up looking half as sweet, this is going to be one handsome boat.

I can’t wait to see you in her, heading off to your dream. Not because I want to rush, but because I would love to see this come to fruition. It’s the whole dream I love, and I know the boat is step one. You’re awesome, Brother.

Enjoy!

And, if you meant me, yeah, of course I like them!

Peace,
    Robert
    Sorry to be dragging it out like this Rob. As an old friend used to say, "The faster I go the longer it takes".

It will look more like this than "Christopher's Dory". From this WBF post back in 2012. Beauty. eh?

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ardner-s-boats

Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-20-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post

Big Dory Build 048.jpg

See the lights up there? Rob would like them, cheapo stainless salad bowls with hardware from the electric section of the hardware store. Saved hundreds.
    This should be in the bilge, it is genius...

????

What an interesting project. I like it! Will you ballast it to meet your self righting requirement, making way in the rough, and perhaps to stop it blowing around? Water ballast perhaps to keep it light for transport? Above the water line it kinda reminds me of Nathan Smith's Blakely boat, although that one was 42 feet overall (34 feet on the water line) and had a substantial keel. Yours will be much nicer for poking into really shallow spots. I don't imagine that your house will be as fancy, it doesn't néed to be and you don't need the windage.

Looking forward to seeing the final product!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    What an interesting project. I like it! Will you ballast it to meet your self righting requirement, making way in the rough, and perhaps to stop it blowing around?

All three Dave. Probably galvy rebar in concrete under the cabin sole fastened in somehow.

There will be 2 skegs. They'll offer some protection on the beach, provide some tracking and they'll take the weight when trailering on a flatdeck trailer without scraping off the bottom paint. These are from an especially dense and heavy fir 2x6 that's been drying in the shop for years. Good to get it out of the way. Glued and clamped to conform to the rocker. They will get 1 inch of HDPE as wear shoes.

Big Dory Build 049.jpg

Big Dory Build 050.jpg

The actual placement of the sheer has been up in the air until now. I suppose I could have just laid it out with battens but didn't have any that were all that straight and none at 36 feet so it was time to lay up a nice straight sheer plank and just use it. It's 3 pieces of 7/8 by 1 inch netting 7/8 x 3 and layed up and clamped against a straight edge screwed to the floor along a chalk line. There are probably 12 pieces in each one, with 10 degree scarfs at the butts. I laid them out so that I could start at one end and spread the T III then clamp 3 pieces at a time. That was my way around the short working time. It would be nice if they would market a retarder, but there's always a way.

Big Dory Build 052.jpg

It was something of a noodle to get screwed and glued to the frames. I screwed a support block to the 2 middle frames, let it sit on them and clamped one in place then messed with the positioning on one end until I liked it then did the other end the same. Then I marked the inside of the plank and the frames and stems so I'd would know where to apply the glue, added one screw to act as as a quick and easy index, then removed it, applied the glue to all of the surfaces and attached it. From there the heights were transferred level across to the other side and the other one glued and screwed in place. I used epoxy on these joints because they were partly plywood edges.

The photo is of the 2 of them side by side having just been run through the planer 2 sides.

Big Dory Build 053.jpg

Big Dory Build 054.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-21-2018 at 01:28 AM.

It looks a lot less clunky with the sheer determined and it looks just right to me, but then it would, wouldn't it? It's going to be pretty. I can already feel it in the water, gliding along quietly in a beautiful environment. That's going to be gratifying.

Big Dory Build 055.jpg

Here is the first of a great many strips, hollowed on it's top edge, glued with TIII and nailed to the "starter" and glued to the frames and stems with epoxy thickened with wood flower. Stripping this is going to take a while, like a month from the looks. Then it will need 2 layers of veneers. A visitor remarked on my patience, but it doesn't take patience when it's all I want to be doing. OK, patience and determination, but that's already in place so not a challenge. Just gotta do it.

Big Dory Build 056.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-21-2018 at 01:35 AM.

Looks awesome Gib! Great progress!

Thanks Hugh. I'm pretty pleased with it.

Wow, moving right along with the build. Looks great. Thanks for taking time to post about it.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Will you sheath over your cold moulding? I do wonder at the time and material cost of a couple of layers of wood compared to a heavy cloth over the strip plank. I have only had experience on a much much larger project where veneers were overlaid and also glassed. Without doubt it produces a light and stiff hull. How will you fix the veneers?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Will you sheath over your cold moulding? I do wonder at the time and material cost of a couple of layers of wood compared to a heavy cloth over the strip plank. I have only had experience on a much much larger project where veneers were overlaid and also glassed. Without doubt it produces a light and stiff hull. How will you fix the veneers?
    Yes, if for no other reason than that I don't like the looks of diagonal planking, which will print through even when painted. It goes against the grain, so to speak.

There won't be any glass on the interior though. I want it to be absorbent so that I can spray it from time to time with borax, and the interior of the cabin will be spray foamed under ceiling and over a great deal of the borax.

Probably one layer of 6 oz. above the waterline and 3 layers below to keep the bugs out. I do spend enough time in the shallows that bottom paint will get abraded off in spots. Sometimes I hit rocks, so below the WL I will probably apply glass between the layers as well to keep the worms from penetrating too far once they gain entrance through the dings.

I prefer wood veneers to just thick glass. For one thing I have the wood so it's much less expensive albeit more time consuming. I also don't want to spend that much time spreading and sanding epoxy. It will be 2 layers of 1/4 inch WRC in thickened epoxy with 316 stainless 7/16 by 3/4 inch staples.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-21-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Sounds solid. Unless you have a fancy method of removing staples, being stainless, i guess you can set em deep and leave them in. I guess you could avoid that diagonal look by adding another layer fore-n-aft, with a varnish finish......

Nice old photo, shes a looker!

I'm considering an upper and lower rail with the outer layer of cold moulding varnished or Cetoled and running fore and aft just between the 2 rails, paint below.

I got that photo from someone's post here on the forum quite some time ago and just had to save it. I wish I knew more about it.

Is he standing or leaning back on something?

Does it have an inboard and a big keel or skeg or does it have an outboard? I don't see a rudder or tiller.

How long and wide is it?

Is it an exactly scaled up Swampscott?

When was the photo taken? If it's old enough it may even have an Acadia or some such pushing it along.

Is it a yard boat? Could be with that towing bit aft.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-21-2018 at 07:48 PM.

I was under the impression that we didn't have worms in the water around the Salish Sea. Plenty of non-boring irritations though. Are you planning on taking it further?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

I would guess he is leaning back against the engine room bulkhead. Cant remember the names, perhaps Gifford, or Emmons built something like that....

PICT5892.jpg

A 25ft from 1906. Nice to know im not the only one to question old photos.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    I was under the impression that we didn't have worms in the water around the Salish Sea. Plenty of non-boring irritations though. Are you planning on taking it further?
    We have teredos here Ben, and lots of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_navalis