Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

Default Re: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I would guess he is leaning back against the engine room bulkhead. Cant remember the names, perhaps Gifford, or Emmons built something like that....

Attachment 26829

A 25ft from 1906. Nice to know im not the only one to question old photos.
    Pretty similar to the old photo alright, but I don't think it's the same, not enough sheer aft.

I like the seaworthiness mention in the text, would like to read more of it.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-24-2018 at 01:29 AM.

I've been putting in the hours but sometimes they just don't show.

Beading and coving. I've spent days turning big piles of lumber into a couple of much smaller piles of beaded and coved strips. Rip them out, cut out any bad sections or ends, plane S4S, bead one edge, change cutters and set up all over again then cove the other edge. I did get a few installed though. Believe it or not it takes almost 2 hours to install one full length glued and nailed. I'm working out a system though so it's getting faster. There will be about 3,135 linear feet of strips.

Big Dory Build 2 001.jpg

While I was doing that my friend and neighbor Patrick brought over and gave me a couple of items he's been hording for the last 45 or 50 years. You can see the bead and cove profiles here also. I use cutters from Lee Valley that have a diameter at about 1.5 times the thickness of the strips. That works just as well and saves lumber.

Big Dory Build 2 003.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-24-2018 at 01:32 AM.

Big Dory Build 2 005.jpg

2 piles of strips. That'll keep me going for a few days, during which there won't be much to post.

Big Dory Build 2 006.jpg

Quitting time at 1945 tonite. Back to the house for a nice bowl of beef stew. Now for some sleep.

Big Dory Build 2 007.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    I've been putting in the hours but sometimes they just don't show.

Beading and coving. I've spent days turning big piles of lumber into a couple of much smaller piles of beaded and coved strips. Rip them out, cut out any bad sections or ends, plane S4S, bead one edge, change cutters and set up all over again then cove the other edge. I did get a few installed though. Believe it or not it takes almost 2 hours to install one full length glued and nailed. I'm working out a system though so it's getting faster. There will be about 3,135 linear feet of strips.

Two hours/strip is very similar to my own experience when building a 23 ft hull using square strips. Not much to say - it takes the time it takes

/Fredrik

Been putting in the time but it's slow tedious work even though I don't need to be meticulous since it will be getting two layers of 1/4 inch veneers in epoxy. That big pile of strips and another not so big pile before it only got me this far. Just keep doing it. Need to make another pile like the last starting tomorrow.

The time is well spent, I like hulls that will never leak. It's astonishingly stiff already.

I'm starting to look for a corded or pneumatic stapler and 316 stainless staples to do the veneers. The strips will need to be faired first but not wanting to do that by hand I got this 315C straight line sander thru Amazon. I haven't tried it yet but it has a substantial feel to it. Ingersoll Rand has a good rep. 40 grit blue zirconia/alumina ought to do it pretty quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-315.../dp/B00004XOT5

Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 12-05-2018 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks for the thread Gib, I love the whole build for a purpose aspect.

I have no personal experience, but have heard good things about plastic staples. Apparently, in a situation like veneering, you just bang them in and leave them, because they fair right out like the wood around them.

If you don’t have a gun or staples, it MAY be worth looking into...

She does look lovely, so far.

Peace,
    Robert

Looking awesome Gib. Like JohnB I hope the thread expands into the study as well.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I have no personal experience, but have heard good things about plastic staples. Apparently, in a situation like veneering, you just bang them in and leave them, because they fair right out like the wood around them.

If you don’t have a gun or staples, it MAY be worth looking into...

She does look lovely, so far.

Peace,
    Robert
    Raptor's longest staples are only 9/16. Laying up 1/4 inch may need more than that, especially midships, unless I keep them quite narrow. I'd prefer using 3/4. Maybe use the widest veneers I can get away with elsewhere and narrower where I can't. I'd rather use the plastic than metal and avoid the possibility of corrosion.

The nails have tiny heads in 3/4, I don't think they'd work as well unless I heat the veneers and pre-bend them. That's a possibility though.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 12-05-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Looking awesome Gib. Like JohnB I hope the thread expands into the study as well.
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor the gloom of night shall stay this dreamer from the completion of his appointed task.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 12-05-2018 at 01:55 PM.

"Margurite Slawson" I think you should name your new boat after her.