Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

Default Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

As I've mentioned ad nauseum here I spent the summer of 2017 camped on the west coast of Vancouver island within 100 yards of a pack of wolves, and 10 miles by boat from another pack that had 8 pups. This was in many ways the best summer of my life, and I want to do it again. This time though I want to be more mobile and safer than I was in the 14 foot aluminum boat as well as more able to go longer distances and still have a comfy heated place to sleep at night if I chose to stay wherever I might find myself. A big part of finding another pack is just sitting and waiting while watching and listening, sometimes for days at a time, so being comfy and secure is better.

Also, I may spend a year or two, probably in a float house which I will have to build, which means being out there in the winter, and winter on the northwest coast of Van. Isle is harsh, to say the very least, and I will be more likely to survive with a more suitable craft.

I guess this will be the 4th iteration of my "Christopher's Dory", but with more sheer, as in John Gardner's 19 foot surf dory, and with 4 truly enormous floatation compartments. I'm aiming for self-righting and unsinkable, and it will have a small self bailing cockpit and a 9 foot fairly low profile insulated cabin, pretty much a lifeboat with a cabin. Propulsion will tentatively be a 25 HP 4 stroke Tohatsu in a well with a 9.9 auxiliary on standby just in case.

This design has evolved because it fulfills my needs so well. It's quite seaworthy, it's fuel efficient and it's very shallow draft. I did consider getting a 19 foot RIB and putting a cabin on it, but I prefer ghosting along and around and about in a much quieter more fuel efficient hull of my own design and build. Besides that, the RIB would cost a fortune that I don't have while I do have lots of red and yellow cedar which has accumulated over all of those years when I used to haunt the local beaches salvaging the odd beach-worn and otherwise non-marketable old growth, something I have always loved doing.

Construction is red cedar and HydroTek and AquaTek over yellow cedar, some laminated and some as futtocks on the ply bulkheads.

I started drawing on about 7 September, it's been 2 months and a week now and it's starting to look like something. I work between 6 and 12 hours 6 days a week, or something like that, and don't always feel inclined to post at the end of a day, and a day's work often doesn't show very much anyway, so this will go slowly, same as most builds. I'm driven to be back there by the end of May though, thus the concentrated effort.

OK here are a couple of early photos.

There was very little lofting done, just drawings of individual parts, by eye, so no photos of lofting.

Here are the stems going together, AYC with epoxy, each one glued up in two installments to avoid too much clamping pressure and glue starved joints. They were still pretty tight, I might have done them in three installments, but once beveled and with the planking glued on they won't go anywhere. They're heavy at 3 inches by 4 1/4 inches.

Big Dory Build 001.jpg

Big Dory Build 003.jpg

Big Dory Build 005.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-16-2018 at 01:11 AM.

Default Re: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

Lovey says it's movie time. More tomorrow.

Very nice Gib. Can you share any of the drawings? I'm curious to see how she will look when done. I'm envisioning something like a big St. Pierre dory but maybe with a bit more beam?

Cool, a new big boat build!
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Subscribed!

Thanks for sharing the journey.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I am looking forward to following along!

Looking forward to more!

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Very nice Gib. Can you share any of the drawings? I'm curious to see how she will look when done. I'm envisioning something like a big St. Pierre dory but maybe with a bit more beam?
    Movie is over and I'm not sleepy enough to go to bed just yet.

The only drawings have been on the assembly table itself where I laminated the stems and one frame right to the drawings and on the bulkheads themselves which were then cut out then AYC futtocks glued on.

The hull is symetrically double ended with two identical frames spaced fore and aft of midships, two more identical frames between them and the stems, and the stems themselves as the points that had to fair together. Three points will always produce a fair line, right? The only question was the spacing, which had to be right so that the full length is fair. I got it right the first time, but was prepared to move them around a bit if necessary, or add or subtract a bit of material if that's what it took. I got lucky.

The hull is to be 7/8 WRC B&C strips edge glued with TIII and edge nailed with HDG box nails, with two layers of 1/4 or 5/16 WRC cold molded over it, so the frames don't need to be closely spaced. The middle frame in the cabin is just a laminated frame, all of the others are bulkheads built with 5/8 AquaTek, which is BS 6566 meranti, a bit cheaper than HydroTek and the only difference I've seen is cosmetic and nearly invisible, very good stuff. The nails aren't necessary, but they clamp the strips together while the glue cures allowing me to continue adding strips with no clamps in the way. The strips are glued to the frames with thickened epoxy, which I'm using because a good portion of the glueing surface is the edges of the plywood. They will be held against the frames where necessary, perhaps every other strip, with temporary screws with big washers, probably to be replaced with stainless flat head screws.

Big Dory Build 001.jpg

The beam will be just a tad over 9 feet with the rails on, so the two frames closest to midships had to be wider than a sheet is long so I joined a bit more to one end with a simple spline and epoxy. I would never use this method for planking, but since the bulkhead is supported by so much more and will not be stressed I went ahead with it. It's remarkably strong.

Big Dory Build 003.jpg

Big Dory Build 004.jpg

Anyway Chris, no drawings but the hull will be more like a giant Gardner surf dory than anything else. In fact, if I were to do it again I would be tempted to just expand those lines as needed.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-16-2018 at 01:07 AM.

Anyway Chris, no drawings but the hull will be more like a giant Gardner surf dory than anything else. In fact, if I were to do it again I would be tempted to just expand those lines as needed.
    Well, I know it's got two pointy ends so I'm already in love with it. And you will need a wood stove I expect? I can picture the boat already. A nice little gunkholer but seaworthy enough for a winter on the west coast. Looking forward to seeing her come together.

What a great build, and a great mission for your boat (and you). I'm jealous, and watching with great interest. Good luck!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Very interesting!

Cant wait

Used to hanker after a big dory, now settling for something more suitable. Love me a double ender.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Nice project!
    How old are you Gib ?

Old enough Bruce that I'm not planning on wasting any time on fancy detailing. 71 and 169/365.

Lunch break.

I do my best not to waste epoxy, have the pumps carefully marked off at 1/2 and 1/4 strokes, but there's always some left over. I use it wherever I can.

Big Dory Build 005.jpg

On the left are the 2 frames/bulkheads furthest from midships, on the right the one frame/bulkhead and frame closest. In between are the 2 stems. The camera angle makes the wider ones look like they are the narrow ones, but not so.

Big Dory Build 007.jpg

WRC. I think this ought to be enough to do the planking, but I have some 4 X 6 beams to take to the mill if I need more. Turning all of this into strips and veneers will waste about half.

Big Dory Build 009.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-16-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Pretty big jump without photos. Oh well, I get going and forget all about the camera.

Frames were positioned relative to a very tight line stretched down the centerline and spaced above the heels of the stems at the amount of rocker, about 1 1/2 inches if I remember correctly, same as Ian did with Last Boat. I couldn't measure up from the floor, it's not level or flat anymore, nor is the ladder frame since the "stiles" aren't all that straight. I take the easy way out whenever I can, it only makes sense. There's always a way.

Big Dory Build 010.jpg

Clearly too much unsupported hull between the stem and the frame, plus I want 2 floatation/storage compartments at each end, not just one, so need to add another bulkhead/frame right at the heel of the stem. If I manage to hole one the other will still hold 'er up. This was the plan right from conception, I would never have been able to project the shape or size of that bulkhead without lofting.

Big Dory Build 011.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-16-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Gib, I am not seeing your pictures.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Gib, I am not seeing your pictures.
    Same as before. Must need to reduce the size of the files.

Back to work.

Now I have even more shop envy than before...
    Still lots of room even with a 34 footer in there

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Same as before. Must need to reduce the size of the files.
    That worked.

Power to old farts!

Party on, Gib.

Jeff

Looking good!

I don't get to use the slick very often, but when it's needed it sure is nice to have. About 45 years ago I was helping a terminally ill 70 year old friend who gave it to me just before he died. He was a great guy, Hal Wilder of Essex Connecticut. I like it that when I use the slick it makes me think of him.

Big Dory Build 012.jpg

Big Dory Build 013.jpg

I don't remember where I got the draw knife, may have been born with it, it's just always been there. The slick was more effective for this bevel though. I used the batten to slowly work down to where it needed to be then, once it was block planed, took measurements and transferred them to the other side and to both sides of the after stem. Once I had that line to go to it was easy to make cross cuts every 3 or 4 inches and just whack off the blocks between the cuts and finish it up with the slick and block plane.

Big Dory Build 016.jpg

I was given the block plane too. I was helping my very old and crippled up landlady by turning over her garden and came across it. It looked more like a lump of rust than anything else, but the brass knob was sticking out so I looked into it a little further and found a Stanley 60 1/2 low profile adjustable foot hiding in there. When I showed it to her she said I could have it, she was long past being able to use it. Since then I must have planed acres of bevels and edges with that plane, it's my favorite tool. No pic, but here's one from the web. Mine is lacking the swing arm. I just tighten the hold-down bolt a little more. See where it says No. 60 1/2? Mine used to say that, but I've worn it right off.

Her name was Margurite Slawson. She had moved from NYC to Lyme Ct. during the depression and built a few cabins on the very cheap which she then rented, sort of like a very low end resort, to her friends and others from the city. The place was something of a farm where she raised and grew most of what she and her girlfriend and her guests ate. By the time I met her her knees were profoundly bow legged and painful and the cabins were blending with the earth but still good enough for a few of us young hippies. People used to bring me road kill deer which I would butcher and share with her and the rest of the crowd. She would always make me a fabulous venison mince meat pie. We became fast friends.

Note: She was frugal. Rather than plant whole or even partial potatoes she would just plant the peels. She always grew a fine crop.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-16-2018 at 10:03 PM.

^ You can buy spares for that.
    http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/ecplfor121.html

Thanks Nick.

You made the stem bevels look easy.
    Hope I can replicate that.

Really cool shop and boat. Can't wait to see it.
    Walt

Great looking build! I appreciate your building style and am looking forward to seeing you do it again and bigger.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Thank you all for the encouragement.

OK, so the stems and frames are up, minus the one that will be at the heel of the stem, so time to put in the chines (chine logs, I know ). I faired a line to go to that represented their inner edges on the floor timbers then clamped a few blocks in place to act as guides and routed them out. That was quick and easy, although I wound up eating a fair amount of YC dust, sort of like a pretty dry breath mint.

That's not a gap between the ply and the frame, it just looks that way for some reason. Those joints were dead simple flat on flat with epoxy, no room for error. Sometimes the camera plays tricks on me.

Big Dory Build 017.jpg

Big Dory Build 018.jpg

I don't remember exactly, but it's about 4 inches wide by 7/8 inch thick, much to wide to edge set so it's laid up out of 3 strips which are scarfed to length. First 2 were applied, then a third once the epoxy was cured. Then it was removed and run through the planer. Here you can see the strips being gang planed before gluing. They were an unruly bunch so I had the bright idea of wrapping them together with masking tape. I'll remember this for future use, it worked very well.

Big Dory Build 019.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-17-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Old enough Bruce that I'm not planning on wasting any time on fancy detailing. 71 and 169/365.
    Wow! I am impressed. I am younger by a bit and I doubt my ability to spend 6 to 12 hours 6 days a week working on something like this. You are in good shape.

And I admire your shop too!

Randy

I don't know why or how that second photo of the router came to be, and I can't delete it, it won't show on the edit page. Oh well.

I'm obsessed Randy. That explains a lot. I'm hot to get back and see if any of these guys remember me. Of course they will. A dog would, and wolves are smarter.

Nikon Summer 2017 191.jpg

Nikon Summer 2017 446.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-17-2018 at 09:47 PM.

I stuck 6 battens on just to see how they would relate to each other in way of the still-to-be built bulkhead/frame.Beauty, first try. I do get lucky sometimes.

Big Dory Build 022.jpg

This is my version of a joggle stick. The post is plumb and square to the centerline. The sticks are glued to it, and once the glue cured the assembly was removed and the points marked on a sheet of 1/2 inch Aquatek, etc. etc.

Big Dory Build 023.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images