Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

Default Re: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I would guess he is leaning back against the engine room bulkhead. Cant remember the names, perhaps Gifford, or Emmons built something like that....

Attachment 26829

A 25ft from 1906. Nice to know im not the only one to question old photos.
    Pretty similar to the old photo alright, but I don't think it's the same, not enough sheer aft.

I like the seaworthiness mention in the text, would like to read more of it.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-24-2018 at 01:29 AM.

I've been putting in the hours but sometimes they just don't show.

Beading and coving. I've spent days turning big piles of lumber into a couple of much smaller piles of beaded and coved strips. Rip them out, cut out any bad sections or ends, plane S4S, bead one edge, change cutters and set up all over again then cove the other edge. I did get a few installed though. Believe it or not it takes almost 2 hours to install one full length glued and nailed. I'm working out a system though so it's getting faster. There will be about 3,135 linear feet of strips.

Big Dory Build 2 001.jpg

While I was doing that my friend and neighbor Patrick brought over and gave me a couple of items he's been hording for the last 45 or 50 years. You can see the bead and cove profiles here also. I use cutters from Lee Valley that have a diameter at about 1.5 times the thickness of the strips. That works just as well and saves lumber.

Big Dory Build 2 003.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 11-24-2018 at 01:32 AM.

Big Dory Build 2 005.jpg

2 piles of strips. That'll keep me going for a few days, during which there won't be much to post.

Big Dory Build 2 006.jpg

Quitting time at 1945 tonite. Back to the house for a nice bowl of beef stew. Now for some sleep.

Big Dory Build 2 007.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    I've been putting in the hours but sometimes they just don't show.

Beading and coving. I've spent days turning big piles of lumber into a couple of much smaller piles of beaded and coved strips. Rip them out, cut out any bad sections or ends, plane S4S, bead one edge, change cutters and set up all over again then cove the other edge. I did get a few installed though. Believe it or not it takes almost 2 hours to install one full length glued and nailed. I'm working out a system though so it's getting faster. There will be about 3,135 linear feet of strips.

Two hours/strip is very similar to my own experience when building a 23 ft hull using square strips. Not much to say - it takes the time it takes

/Fredrik

Been putting in the time but it's slow tedious work even though I don't need to be meticulous since it will be getting two layers of 1/4 inch veneers in epoxy. That big pile of strips and another not so big pile before it only got me this far. Just keep doing it. Need to make another pile like the last starting tomorrow.

The time is well spent, I like hulls that will never leak. It's astonishingly stiff already.

I'm starting to look for a corded or pneumatic stapler and 316 stainless staples to do the veneers. The strips will need to be faired first but not wanting to do that by hand I got this 315C straight line sander thru Amazon. I haven't tried it yet but it has a substantial feel to it. Ingersoll Rand has a good rep. 40 grit blue zirconia/alumina ought to do it pretty quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-315.../dp/B00004XOT5

Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 12-05-2018 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks for the thread Gib, I love the whole build for a purpose aspect.

I have no personal experience, but have heard good things about plastic staples. Apparently, in a situation like veneering, you just bang them in and leave them, because they fair right out like the wood around them.

If you don’t have a gun or staples, it MAY be worth looking into...

She does look lovely, so far.

Peace,
    Robert

Looking awesome Gib. Like JohnB I hope the thread expands into the study as well.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I have no personal experience, but have heard good things about plastic staples. Apparently, in a situation like veneering, you just bang them in and leave them, because they fair right out like the wood around them.

If you don’t have a gun or staples, it MAY be worth looking into...

She does look lovely, so far.

Peace,
    Robert
    Raptor's longest staples are only 9/16. Laying up 1/4 inch may need more than that, especially midships, unless I keep them quite narrow. I'd prefer using 3/4. Maybe use the widest veneers I can get away with elsewhere and narrower where I can't. I'd rather use the plastic than metal and avoid the possibility of corrosion.

The nails have tiny heads in 3/4, I don't think they'd work as well unless I heat the veneers and pre-bend them. That's a possibility though.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 12-05-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Looking awesome Gib. Like JohnB I hope the thread expands into the study as well.
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor the gloom of night shall stay this dreamer from the completion of his appointed task.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 12-05-2018 at 01:55 PM.

"Margurite Slawson" I think you should name your new boat after her.

Time for an update.

I was cruising along nicely when this happened.

https://saltspringexchange.com/2019/...ydros-history/

Our property was almost unaffected, we were able to clean it up with a rake and wheelbarrow in 3 hours, but the place I look after got blasted. We were without power for 8 days. No big deal, we have wood heat and cooking and an outhouse and rain water. We just went to bed earlier and got more sleep. That was kind of nice actually.

Once I've got all of this looking pristine again I'll be able to get back to the boat. There's a driveway under some of that somewhere.

Big Dory Build 4 013.jpg

Big Dory Build 4 015.jpg

Big Dory Build 4 019.jpg

Are the fallen species useful timber?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Those photos only show about a quarter of the damage, so it's going to be a while. It's dangerous. There are all sorts of hidden stresses in there and some of those logs are 2 feet thru. A couple of them are really nice fir that I may use as decking for the boat.

The latest photos of the boat, just before the storm.

Big Dory Build 4 001.jpg

As the strips got closer to the chines they required progressively more twist and edge set. Being 7/8 thick and 1 1/4 wide it took some real leverage to get them into place. Once I was no longer able to do it with my hands I started hanging a couple of long pipe clamps off of the strip with the pipes extending to the inside. The weight of the pipes, which I could adjust by using more or longer pipes, applied the proper twist and then I could apply the edge setting pressure with one hand while edge nailing the nails which were in pre-drilled holes with the other. Eventually though I ran out of room for the pipes, they won't fit between the strip and the chine log, so I have glued a cleat to the inside of the strips and will plank the rest of the way vertically with 2 layers of 7/16ths. There's always a way. Makes me think of cold molding the planking at the forefoot on a Chesapeake deadrise, sort of.

Big Dory Build 4 002.jpg

A friend stopped by and left me a couple of these bulbs. By the end of the life of one bulb it will save about $100 over the same 100W incandescent, AND, they're much brighter.

Big Dory Build 4 003.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 01-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Those photos only show about a quarter of the damage, so it's going to be a while. It's dangerous. There are all sorts of hidden stresses in there and some of those logs are 2 feet thru. A couple of them are really nice fir that I may use as decking for the boat.
    Just so, a lot of stored energy in there.
    The latest photos of the boat, just before the storm.

Big Dory Build 4 001.jpg

As the strips got closer to the chines they required progressively more twist and edge set. Being 7/8 thick and 1 1/4 wide it took some real leverage to get them into place. Once I was no longer able to do it with my hands I started hanging a couple of long pipe clamps off of the strip with the pipes extending to the inside. The weight of the pipes, which I could adjust by using more or longer pipes, applied the proper twist and then I could apply the edge setting pressure with one hand while edge nailing the nails which were in pre-drilled holes with the other. Eventually though I ran out of room for the pipes, they won't fit between the strip and the chine log, so I have glued a cleat to the inside of the strips and will plank the rest of the way vertically with 2 layers of 7/16ths. There's always a way. Makes me think of cold molding the planking at the forefoot on a Chesapeake deadrise, sort of.
    Vertical or double diagonal?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Are the fallen species useful timber?
    The 2 firs in the first shot are 24 inches in diameter at the butt and pretty tight grained with almost no sapwood. If I can get them dry in time I can use them for the decking and have lots left over. The cedar across the driveway, 36" at the butt, had rot in it. It doesn't look stressed, but it exploded just before I cut all the way through due to the stress imparted by tension and compression in the roots. Pieces flying about, lots of noise. Not a fun job.

There are at least 3 of 16 foot flatdecks worth of logs to be hauled away. Most, including cedar, will go for firewood. Most of the fir would make good framing lumber, but it's cheaper to just buy the S4S pine from the lumber yard than to pay for hauling and milling. Beams would be worth the money because they're less work for the mill, but nobody wants them and there's a huge surplus locally now anyway, so firewood it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Just so, a lot of stored energy in there.

Vertical or double diagonal?
    Vertical with staggered seams, epoxied. I have a lot of shorts and stuff with knots that I can get short clears out of, good to get some of that stuff out of the way. There will be 2 more layers of cold molded 1/4 inch over the whole thing.

^OK

The storm sounds awful! Glad there was no damage to you and house and shop.
    The boat looks great!
    Last edited by waltwood; 01-03-2019 at 06:48 PM.

A shame all that wood's not economically recoverable. I lost a 100' cedar and got it all milled down for about a grand. Sold a couple of slabs to pretty much cover the cost of milling, but getting a "WoodMizer" out there would be pretty expensive.

Got most of that mess cleaned up, time to get back to the boat.

That straight line sander didn't work out. Since it has no integral dust collection it's too dusty, it's too noisy with the compressor, the dust collector (hose end nearby) and the sander all going at the same time, it was nothing short of violent with 40 grit, and it didn't leave things nearly as well faired as I can get it with the belt sander and 50 grit. It took me about 16 hours in three sessions to do the entire hull, that thing is heavy. I used up 3 of 4 x 24 belts, found that they just got too hot and broke at any more than just a tad over slowest speed. I collected a couple of brown paper bags 2/3 full of wood flour in the process though, certainly enough for thickening the epoxy for the two layers of 1/4" cold molding and perhaps even enough left over for the rest of my life. 34 feet is a lot of boat.

That Bosch belt sander is a good machine. The cooling air coming out was quite hot for hours at a time and it just kept going. It seems none the worse for wear.

Big Dory Build 5 004.jpg

Here's where I catch my breath from time to time. It's only about 6 feet from the wood stove so it's very easy to fall asleep there.

Big Dory Build 5 005.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 02-11-2019 at 05:10 PM.

The view from the couch/day bed. I can just feel it gliding quietly along from here, the boat, not the couch. That's a nice way to fall asleep. My trick for taking not-too-long naps is to drink a big glass of water just before laying down. That gives me about 1/2 hour.

Big Dory Build 5 006.jpg

Big Dory Build 5 002.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 02-11-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Big Dory Build 5 001.jpg

There are a couple of seams that just didn't pull tight. I'll force feed them with thickened epoxy. The empty screw holes will get filled with screws.

Big Dory Build 5 007.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 02-11-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Looking good.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Big Dory Build 5 008.jpg

WRC is pretty absorbent so I've primed/sealed the 7/8 substrate prior to cold molding 2 layers of 1/4" over it. The veneers will get wetted with a roller then the hull will get a coat of thickened with a fine notched trowel before stapling with 1" stainless staples. I couldn't get 316 at that length so it's going to be 304 (18/8).

Big Dory Build 5 003.jpg

Time to start cold molding. The latest snow accumulation is over the top of my gumboots, the most we've had in perhaps 20 years. That's no excuse, I know. I'm procrastinating. It's cozy here at the 'puter.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 02-11-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Looking great.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Most Excellent, Gib! Looking forward to the next installment! Our snow has turned to rain and some lovely slushy mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Most Excellent, Gib! Looking forward to the next installment! Our snow has turned to rain and some lovely slushy mud.
    I wish ours would. We have the Ford Ranger with 4WD, studded snows and almost 1000 pounds of ballast so we can go pretty much anywhere at any time, but driving on this hilly island is not safe because so many others don't know any better than to go out in their 2WDs with summer tires.

You're an inspiration, Gib.

and.... I'm going to use that trick with the drink of water. Naps are becoming a nice habit.

Jeff

I wish ours would. We have the Ford Ranger with 4WD, studded snows and almost 1000 pounds of ballast so we can go pretty much anywhere at any time, but driving on this hilly island is not safe because so many others don't know any better than to go out in their 2WDs with summer tires.
    At least you don't have as many of them as we do down here in St. Helens. We even get the ones who get themselves stuck with AWD and who think that just because four-wheel can help you go, that it should also be able to make you stop. I see more fourwheelers in the ditch around here than well-driven 2-wheelers.
    OK..I'll quit. But I sure love your project!

That is impressive! I was wondering just the other day how you were coming along.

I’m really impressed at how fast you were able to plank up the hull. It’s going to be a handsome boat.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Well, that didnt take long it seems! Look forward to the veneer process. I usually take a coffee and by the time 40 minuets is up, the caffine is circulating and im ready to go. 40 mins seems to be the magic number for me, anything less or more seems to be less productive.
    Our snow just gone through the first melt down, going through the mud road period.......

A daybed in the shop. Wish I'd thought of that....

Gib,

The bomb-proof requirements of your current build put me in mind of Dorjun, seen here in Port Townsend. She's a converted life saving boat and sailed through the Straits of Magellan in 1932.
    Bruce

IMG_2632.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce Brown; 02-12-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: photo not available