Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

Default Re: Time for a new thread: Big (34') dory build.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Attachment 31042

WRC is pretty absorbent so I've primed/sealed the 7/8 substrate prior to cold molding 2 layers of 1/4" over it. The veneers will get wetted with a roller then the hull will get a coat of thickened with a fine notched trowel before stapling with 1" stainless staples. I couldn't get 316 at that length so it's going to be 304 (18/8).

Attachment 31043

Time to start cold molding. The latest snow accumulation is over the top of my gumboots, the most we've had in perhaps 20 years. That's no excuse, I know. I'm procrastinating. It's cozy here at the 'puter.
    She's looking good. The last pic reminds me of a cedar strip canoe.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Boat looks great Gib.
    I have one more reason to envy your shop now, with seeing the nap couch in there...

I just caught on to this thread. Impressive!! Being able to follow from inspiration to execution is a real gift. Thanks for putting in the extra effort to include others.
    Can't wait to see it completed and on it's mission!

Bruce

Dude,

WHAT is taking so long? Hahaha.

You're fantastic, Gib. Please, keep it up. You're inspiring in so many ways, Brother.

I'd have to sling a hammock near the stove, though, as that couch would likely make my back stiff.

Peace,
    Robert

Gib,
    I suggest using monel staples. They won't rust or deteriorate and in the long haul will not cause problems. They are expensive for staples at $25 per 1000 but that is such a small cost relative to the total.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Iím really impressed at how fast you were able to plank up the hull. Itís going to be a handsome boat.
    Felt to me like it dragged on forever, a couple of hours here and a couple more there. Now the veneers will take a long time too. I'll just keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Brown View Post
    Gib,

The bomb-proof requirements of your current build put me in mind of Dorjun, seen here in Port Townsend. She's a converted life saving boat and sailed through the Straits of Magellan in 1932.
    Bruce

Attachment 31065
    No pic Bruce, just a link to the attachment that doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Gib,
    I suggest using monel staples. They won't rust or deteriorate and in the long haul will not cause problems. They are expensive for staples at $25 per 1000 but that is such a small cost relative to the total.
    I looked and couldn't find any other than those designed for T50s and such. I need much bigger than that. There are 316 staples available, but they're in China, via the US, and the supplier in Washington told me that since we don't have a NAFTA deal between China and Canada that I could expect to wait months for delivery. Stuff get's hung up at the border and sits in warehouses for a long time while they deal with brokerage fees and customs and duties and such. I've bought a few small items from China over the last few years and they have indeed taken so long to arrive that I even forgot that I had ordered them.

These will be OK, they'll all be under glass in epoxy, and since it's all glued together anyway if/when they do fail it won't matter. I expect my kids will be able to use this boat for a long time once I'm long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Dude,

WHAT is taking so long? Hahaha.

You're fantastic, Gib. Please, keep it up. You're inspiring in so many ways, Brother.

I'd have to sling a hammock near the stove, though, as that couch would likely make my back stiff.

Peace,
    Robert
    That's 'cuz I waste so much time on this forum.

Thanks for the support, it feels good.

That's 'cuz I waste so much time on this forum.

Thanks for the support, it feels good.
    Hahaha. Dude, 34' is a big old boat! I have sanded the entirety of a 20 x 6' boat, including fairing tapes and glass, and I just couldn't imagine expanding that. What a butt-load of work, as we used to say.

It's not just the boat, though, that is inspiring, Gib. It's that you are living the life YOU want to live. You've found a little niche you belong in, and you've structured your life to fill that niche, which is something many don't accomplish. I think that's a factor in dissatisfaction with life people seem to feel. They ain't doing what they want to.

Which don't mean playing. It means working to achieve your own set of goals. Which, maybe it's the work that keeps more folks from doing same. Easy is comfortable, but it offers few rewards.

I look forward to the day you're afloat and off to your wolf camp. The sweetness of fulfilled dreams need not belong only to the dreamer, after all...

May we all pursue our dreams as lustily as you, Sir. And may you find the satisfying bliss of a dream realized!

Now, quit napping, and get stapling!

Peace,
    Inspired, and Feeling Less Alone For Being A Dreamer

as everyone has said, beautiful work. almost a shame to cover it up. i love your shop with so many windows and all wood, especially the ceiling. how is that constructed? haven't seen that before. sure will be following your next steps.

jim

Gib- Can’t wait to see her in the water! Beautiful work, but I have come to expect nothing less from you. Maybe a big party to celebrate all of the boats in the neighborhood getting wet this Summer.
    Kennneee

WRC is pretty absorbent so I've primed/sealed the 7/8 substrate prior to cold molding 2 layers of 1/4" over it. The veneers will get wetted with a roller then the hull will get a coat of thickened with a fine notched trowel before stapling with 1" stainless staples. I couldn't get 316 at that length so it's going to be 304 (18/8).

Attachment 31043

Time to start cold molding. The latest snow accumulation is over the top of my gumboots, the most we've had in perhaps 20 years. That's no excuse, I know. I'm procrastinating. It's cozy here at the 'puter.
    nice dory! will this boat have a sailing rig? or is it a power dory? 25 hp should be plenty. A 28' chaison with 8hp inboard engine is reported to have been capable of 10 kts, a speed boat in 1900.

Noticing the hollow to the forefoot though there is no hollow to the frames, a function of the shape of the stem in relation to the first frames, nice.