Thread: Small fan to run 7/24, 12v/110/USB?

Default Small fan to run 7/24, 12v/110/USB?

Iím storing my CY outdoors this winter, with the Sunbrella cover and a plastic tarp over that. I wat to use a small fan to keep the air moving and dry, but donít want something cheap that will fail or short out and catch fire. Near the house so I can use any type of power source.

Boat isnt sealed up tight, as the drain holes as well as boomkin and mizzen sheet holes let in air. Without spending a fortune, any suggestions for a small fan that can run 7/24?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: Small fan to run 7/24, 12v/110/USB?

I would rig the cover so as to keep rain out but let fresh air in, and stow gear to allow its passage to all crannies; free, and no risk.

I would look at outdoor fans meant for building ventilation, greenhouses, animal shelters- that sort of thing. They are 110v, and rated to run for 20 years straight.

In my boat I use a 12V computer fan in the bilge to circulate air, but that's because it needs to run off the solar panels.

I use a bathroom extractor fan on a composting toilet, damp conditions and no failure yet.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I look after a friend's property when he's not here, about 46 weeks/year. One of the things I maintain is his big fiberglass boat. The first year, about 20 years ago, it got some mold inside over the winter so the next winter I tried a desiccant, this one,

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/d...w.ds#store=466

but it didn't work, so then I got one of these,

https://www.amazon.ca/Stor-Dry-9406C...Q2Q9BNB5Z5AK2T

It's been going all winter every winter for almost 20 years and does the job perfectly. I did have to lube the motor bearings a couple of times. Easy.

This Thorne fellow has a 19 foot open boat. No bulkheads or closed compartments. Plywood hull. (If you have drain plugs leave them out.) I question if a fan is needed at all. That said, a solar panel kit like this ... https://www.voltaicsystems.com/3-5-watt-kit ... could be used to drive a USB-powered fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

What is the function of the tarp - other than to diminish the Sunbrella's ability to work properly?

I would just put the boat upside down on sawhorses and tie it to pegs driven into the ground so it does not fly away in a storm. All hatches and inspection ports open.

I kept my Bobcat outside with a canvas tarp over a ridge pole with the end open. The canvas breathes and the wind funneled through the boat. No problems
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    What is the function of the tarp - other than to diminish the Sunbrella's ability to work properly?
    Good question. Since this is California and in a major drought I was using it to protect the Sunbrella from further UV damage, plus keeping leaf debris and bird poop off it. I had a canvas shop do a quick repair job on it so no more holes in the fabric, but it is 11 years old even though stored inside mostly.

I'll have to test it when/if we get any rain -- or perhaps with the hose -- to see if the fabric cover lets any water through. The silver tarp is just draped over the fabric cover, but I guess it limits ventilation where it touches the top of the cover.

Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The cover's job is to protect your boat. One important part of that is its breathability, and it is nearly as important as its water resistance. A plastic tarp over it, reducing the breathability and helping to trap moisture in there is not good for either the boat or its cover.

Ditch the tarp. If the cover is dirty, clean it following these instructions:

https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/how-...-marine-canvas

Then periodically renew its water and UV resistance by treating it with 303 Fabric Guard (Amazon carries it, West Marine probably does and some marine stores or patio furniture sellers do).

Place a regular 110v box fan (or smaller) from wallyworld in the boat and let it run on low 24x7. All it has to do is move air around. I've been doing this for over 10 yrs on a 20' trailer sailer. The fan is mounted in the fwd hatch..and covered from rain. I did the same thing when living aboard and ran the fan 24x7x365 for 8 yrs out of 10 aboard. I've tried a couple of those 110v $10 plastic clip on fans and they don't last more than a few months running full time so don't waste your time with them.

I had one of those solar powered ones on a 17'r and it worked fine but you would have to figure how to mount it...no hassle except the battery has to be changed every couple of yrs. Way back I used a 110v 40 watt light bulb in a 20'r to keep it dry. It stayed on 24x7 inside the cabin. I made a bulb shroud out of a coffee can screwed to a wood base so if tipped over it wouldn't make fire. This boat was kept in the water.

Kevin (Breakaway) just et me know that 303 Fabric Guard does not have the UV absorbers that 303 Protectant (their version of the Armorall-type stuff for hard surfaces) has, and he is correct. Fabric Guard is just made to replenish water and stain resistance. In any case, Fabric Guard is the one to use, since its formula is compatible with the stuff that comes on the cloth when new. Some other popular water repellent treatments with ingredients like silicone or wax in them are not compatible and their use can result in spotty water coverage as the two types of treatments duke it out.

Nicro used to make a mounting ring for their solar vents which was made to mount on an opening cut into a canvas boat or cockpit cover. Those vents are pricey little buggers but the one we had on our trimaran worked very well for the five years we owned the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Kevin (Breakaway) just et me know that 303 Fabric Guard does not have the UV absorbers that 303 Protectant (their version of the Armorall-type stuff for hard surfaces) has, and he is correct. Fabric Guard is just made to replenish water and stain resistance. In any case, Fabric Guard is the one to use, since its formula is compatible with the stuff that comes on the cloth when new. Some other popular water repellent treatments with ingredients like silicone or wax in them are not compatible and their use can result in spotty water coverage as the two types of treatments duke it out.

Nicro used to make a mounting ring for their solar vents which was made to mount on an opening cut into a canvas boat or cockpit cover. Those vents are pricey little buggers but the one we had on our trimaran worked very well for the five years we owned the boat.
    Thanks, I'll order some right now.

Fabric Guard is a trigger pump spray. My hand used to get tired trying to pump enough for an entire boat cover. If you have access to a compressor, you can do what I did. I bought a cheap and small Harbor Freight HVLP touch up spray gun which makes the job much easier and the distribution more even on the cover. Just don't use that gun for anything else. The residue inside could probably generate some really serious fisheyes if you tried to paint with it.

I would just build a simple wooden A-frame on the boat and drape the tarp over that. The tarp won't rest directly on any part of the boat - thus no water trapped against the boat. The ends allow plenty of air to circulate. I would even venture to keep the hatches opened and screened.

If you want a solar powered fan the Solar Nicro vent works quite well and is the simplest.

https://smile.amazon.com/Nicro-Stain...cro+solar+vent
    Will

Sunbrella is tough and will last 20+ yrs in direct tropical sun here in Florida without touching it for UV. Keeping it water tight is another story and depends on use. The covers you see wasted from UV in a few yrs are typically not Sunbrella.

Get an old computer fan. Most will run on 110 volts. I have had one running constantly in my basement for 3 years now with no issues.

Jim..
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.