Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use an Ipad as a navigation aid ?

Default Does anyone use an Ipad as a navigation aid ?

If so what chart program do you use?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: Does anyone use an Ipad as a navigation aid ?

I have - the navionics app.
    I also used my iphone, but i had to buy the app twice.

The iPad has to be sim card capable - or it doesn't have GPS. I don't think it has to have a sim card, just the capability.
    The GPS uses a lot of battery power so constant charging is a must if you keep the app open.

Nice thing about using an ipad is there are some nice mounts, including waterproof ones, on the market.

I use OpenCPN now on a microsoft surface. The ENC charts are more reliable and can legally be used instead of paper charts (which i have too).
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

My Ipad is wifi only so I'm going to need an external GPS.
    Grateful Dead

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Peter, i recon your I pad may be too old. that happened to me, missed it by one year.
    new I pads have a builtin GPS.I phones too.
    I have navionics on the phone and pad.

Yep - but I'm not sure if any of the apps will listen to an external GPS. I'm pretty sure Navionics doesn't.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

I don’t have an iPad, but I use Navionics on my iPhone. And as small as the screen is, I still find myself referring to it more and more. My main plotter is OpenCPN on an old laptop, but I find the Navionics charts on the iPhone are often more detailed when entering a small cove. Also the Navionics app is cheaper for the phone than it is for the pad. I have a mount for my phone at about eye level between the windows of the pilothouse. So when entering a tricky area, I can watch ahead of the boat and still easily keep an eye on the chart.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Peter, i recon your I pad may be too old. that happened to me, missed it by one year.
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Yep - but I'm not sure if any of the apps will listen to an external GPS. I'm pretty sure Navionics doesn't.
    I feared that might be the way of it. Were I to buy a tablet instead what would people suggest ?
    Grateful Dead

iNavX - I like it

I use inavx on an iPad, and it definitely accepts an external GPS feed. It also accepts different charts, (I use the standard NOAA charts).
    (This one, has a 30 ft bluetooth range) https://www.imore.com/xpgps150-bluet...pad-ipod-touch

Sure. I have used iNavX, Garmin Blue Charts but now use Aqua Map. GBS and Aqua Map blend well with Active Captain. For some reason iNavX does not. Rick

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    This might help. https://gps.dualav.com/marine/
    Grateful Dead

Is there some way of using my Iphone's GPS for the I pad. I like the Ipad's big screen.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Is there some way of using my Iphone's GPS for the I pad. I like the Ipad's big screen.
    Nope. Just buy a new(er) iPad, and confirm before purchase that it has GPS.
    https://ipadpilotnews.com/2015/12/ipad-real-gps/
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Sort of - if you get an iPad with a cellular link, you get GPS.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Sort of - if you get an iPad with a cellular link, you get GPS.
    I'm not sure of that. With new models yes, but some older cell-enabled iPads might not have built-in GPS, so you'd have to pay for cell service and still wouldn't have true GPS -- and not at all when out of cell tower range.

See the article I linked above.
    Last edited by Thorne; 11-15-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I know just a micro amount above zero of these things, nevertheless..... Can he use his cellular phone as a wifi hotspot that his ipad can tap into?

Please don't snicker if this idea is ridiculous or nonsense.

Jeff

I don't currently use electronics for my sail & oar cruising, but perhaps I should re-think my position. For instance, I can envision something like an Ipad as a good way of judging distance off. Just throw it as far as you can a few times on land and average the distance to get a baseline.

Then, when you're sailing, you give your Ipad or whatever the old heave-ho (with a retrieval line attached). If it just hits the shore, you pretty well know how close you are. If it doesn't quite hit, you're farther off than that. And if it goes a good distance up onto the shore, it may be time to come about.

Come to think of it, it'd probably be even better without the retrieval line.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I know just a micro amount above zero of these things, nevertheless..... Can he use his cellular phone as a wifi hotspot that his ipad can tap into?

Please don't snicker if this idea is ridiculous or nonsense.

Jeff
    Not ridiculous and yes that's definitely possible but it doesn't help with the GPS issue. The problem isn't that it needs a wifi connection, it's that only the cell-capable iPads came with GPS. If I recall, the issue is that the GPS radio is on the same chip as the cell radio. No cell capability means no GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I don't currently use electronics for my sail & oar cruising, but perhaps I should re-think my position. For instance, I can envision something like an Ipad as a good way of judging distance off. Just throw it as far as you can a few times on land and average the distance to get a baseline.

Then, when you're sailing, you give your Ipad or whatever the old heave-ho (with a retrieval line attached). If it just hits the shore, you pretty well know how close you are. If it doesn't quite hit, you're farther off than that. And if it goes a good distance up onto the shore, it may be time to come about.

Come to think of it, it'd probably be even better without the retrieval line.

Tom
    Now THAT is a navigation tech that I approve of. Excellent! However one would need a sufficient supply of devices with similar flight characteristics on any long passage. Or perhaps one could make a deviation chart using the iPad as a baseline. An iPhone 6 is +50% distance while a MacBook Air is -20%...

According to the manufacturer this blue tooth GPS will talk to my wifi IPad and give it full GPS capacity.

https://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-pr...ategory=Marine

Grateful Dead

Yes, it works perfectly, 30 ft bluetooth range, I just toss mine in a hammock.

Cool, this seems the best work around available.
    Grateful Dead

I purchased a new apple I pad air with GPS at Office Works for 435 and used it with Navonics extensively on my East Coast trip.
    Found the Navonics app to be very accurate to the point of entering an unknown harbour at night,which is quite contrary to the manufacturers recommendations.
    Also another r lurk used by long term cruisers is the I pad does not need to be connected to data.

Have you looked at dedicated hand held chartplotters Mr Sibley? I have a Lowrance H2O colour plotter, these can be bought for peanuts second hand, but are a dedicated unit, fully waterproof, rugged, with all the built in nav options that might not come with other mapping options, other than showing your position. Just a thought. As i discovered the other day, there is no slot on an ipad for playing music CDs or films on DVD........

You are correct Ian, it may be a better option. I was given an Ipad and immediately thought of using it for charts but the Lowrance may be an easier item to use.
    Grateful Dead

I use my old iPad along with Garmin BlueChart. Pretty much flawless. Gotta keep it plugged in, or it eats battery life PDQ. Built a cardboard hood for better visibility.
    Yes, it must be cellular-ready, but not cell connected.
    I was told by the sales kid that my new iPad Air (a non-cellular model)would work as well. He was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    ...I have a Lowrance H2O colour plotter, these can be bought for peanuts second hand...
    Where does one look for second hand chartplotters, VHF radios, and/or other marine electronics?

EBAY is a good start

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    You are correct Ian, it may be a better option. I was given an Ipad and immediately thought of using it for charts but the Lowrance may be an easier item to use.
    I’ve used Navionics on my phone for nighttime pilotage and I have it on a tablet. Navionics is only $50AU.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Navionics is only $50AU.
    Annually.
    The phone charts are cheaper - $27 a year or something.

I heard a lot of good things about Navionics. I have iNavX though. iNavX is the only app that allows charts from other providers, which is great.

Just curious--those of you who use electronics, what size screens do you find useful?

I really can't get past the idea of not having the entire chart to look at to understand the big picture. How do you all deal with that?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Just curious--those of you who use electronics, what size screens do you find useful?

I really can't get past the idea of not having the entire chart to look at to understand the big picture. How do you all deal with that?

Tom
    I think the screen on my nav laptop is 15" which is plenty. But as I mentioned above, I am amazed at how useful even the Navionics chart on my tiny iPhone is (and I have an iPhone SE, the smallest one made.)

I agree the lack of big picture is a bit of a problem, but a very small one. It bothers her more than it bothers me and she will sometimes get out a paper chart to get the overall picture. But for that, even a badly scaled place mat chart at least gets you a “where the hell are we?” look.

To me any 10" tablet would do the job

Tom
    One thing to think about here is that I suspect the requirements for navigating under sail may be rather different than for us power boaters. My experience is that zooming in/out to see the large picture or the detail view is pretty easy on all of the various software packages so that's not an issue. But for myself, I almost never look at a large area view on the chart plotter because what I care are are things like course to the next waypoint, time to the next waypoint, time to the destination and any hazards to navigation that I might encounter - all of which is usually available from a view with a range of 1nm-5nm or so depending on where I am.

It also helps that where I cruise I can generally see the big picture by looking out the window so I generally just look at the screen occasionally to confirm that I'm still on course and that I'm not going to run aground or hit anything. For that purpose I have used an iPhone (~4" screen), iPad (~7" screen) and both 13" and 15" laptops. They all worked fine although the iPhone was a bit marginal. Currently I'm using a 15" laptop and it works quite well. If I do want a larger view it's generally in planning or for general interest rather than navigation underway, in which case I prefer the paper chart in any case.

But for a sailor I could see that it would be annoying not to be able to see the position, heading, etc. for the current tack at the same time as the overall chart to view progress and heading to the next waypoint or to the destination. I'd probably want a larger screen in that case. I have no experience with navigating under sail so I have no idea what a minimum screen size might be but I assume that good advice can be found on the various sailing forums.

I don't know about you other sailors, but when I'm out in my open boat on a sunny day, I'm wearing fairly dark sunglasses. Those along with any glare makes it difficult to see details on my iphone screen. And I'm not looking at it for navigation info... I'm just trying to send a text or take a photo. So bear that in mind when considering this.

Jeff

You can get fishfinder/ sonar bottom images wirelessly to an Ipad/ Iphone now, providing you've got 12V onboard for the transducer (Raymarine Wi-fish)

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=11201