Thread: Vintage Aluminium Side Mount Outboard Bracket

Default Vintage Aluminium Side Mount Outboard Bracket

I have this vintage 50s maybe aluminium side outboard mount. I was wondering what to do with it?
    How well does a side mount function?
    Anyone use one? This one is designed to come off relatively easy with three wingnuts and has a SS plate that screws to the deck with a gazillion screws. It's pretty skookum.
    I guess the idea is to take it off while sailing so negate the effect of having the weight of an outboard on one side of the boat.
    it's not exactly light at about 6lbs

is there an advantage over a transom mounted unit?
    Which frankly do look a little ugly on a shapely transom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 11-14-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Default Re: Vintage Aluminium Side Mount Outboard Bracket

Transom mounts don’t work on double Enders and long counter transoms.

As nedL says. My boat Emily Ruth, a Somes Sound 12.5, has a transom that is raked at 45. It's awkward to put a motor there and the aesthetics just don't allow it as far as I'm concerned. So I made this:

EmilyRuth Motor Mount 5.jpg

Your cast aluminum/stainless mount looks to be both ample and efficient. I'm sure there are many who would be willing to take it off your hands and use it on their boat.

In use, the side mount can be awkward. When on starboard tack in all but a moderate breeze the motor will drag to the point where water is shipped into the cockpit. I worry about the mount's integrity at that point so I never let things get there. I remove the motor and mount long before. Dealing with the works is easiest while on a port tack for obvious reasons.

Jeff

If you do use it, bolt that SS plate through the deck, not just with screws.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    If you do use it, bolt that SS plate through the deck, not just with screws.
    YES!! It might run fine straight ahead, then one day you try to make a tight turn and give her some gas.... gets torqued right off.
    I learned the hard way.
    But I might not want to put much over a 2 hp on that bracket.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I was trying to get my head around how to mount it.
    Then penny dropped.
    So it mounts to the deck, and the bolts are permanently protruding upwards. So no need to bolt on, the screws in the plate are simply place holders (which begs the question - why so many....?).

You don't often see the words 'Vintage' and 'Aluminium' next to each other.
    Looks neat - chrome plated, it could look quite sexy.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Almost but not quite. It's from a late 50s boat. So technically antique!
    Aluminium has been is use for about a century, discovered in the early 1800s
    https://www.aluminum.org/aluminum-ad...story-aluminum
    (We would all undoubtedly be sexier plated in chrome)

What I'm understanding, is that unless you have to use a side mount, you're probably better off NOT using one.

The SS plate mounts to the deck with a bunch of long screws and or bolts. the 3 indentations need corresponding large holes drilled in the deck to accommodate them. This also makes it a little stronger.
    The large wingnut bolts are held into the actual bracket (they don't come out)and THEY screw into the base mounted on the deck
    It is designed to be removable leaving only the flat iron-like plate on the deck.

Like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

The biggest downside to these side mounts is that you either have to remove at least the outboard and possibly the mount if planning on sailing actively enough to put the rail in the water. And reaching the controls can be difficult, depending on boat design.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I can't find one on line. I was trying to get an idea of relative worth so I can sell it now. It doesn't look like a home built item, though I guess it could be if someone had a foundry....