Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: A trailerable box keel motorsailer

Default Re: A trailerable box keel motorsailer

Thanks Geoff, i certainly was not aiming for anything artistic, its a reality shot, complete with junk lying around, and the clouds must have parted at just the right moment to let a bit of light through the back window. I guess this part was the tractor bay in the barn as it has a reinforced concrete floor, i extended out back (set of double doors front and back) to take a 26ft length, though due to roof poles, have only 9ft of width, which is ok for parking, but not quite wide enough to work. There is a small insulated workshop next door which i try to keep dust free. There is a hayloft above the workshop where i built the Chautaqua canoe last spring, and i might hoist the keel plank up there. After making the extension on the back, i built a lean-to roof along the back side, and this is where the keel will get set up. It will need to be extended a bit to get full cover. I will grab some pictures later, and im not going to clear up first!

Sounds a really interesting place. Looking forward to further pictures when you get to them.

Its quite a common building round these parts, but it is a far bit larger than the one at my old place.

PICT6064.jpg

The 2 open bays is technically a car port, one side normally with 15 cubic metres of firewood, and the other for tractors and 2 wheel modes of transport. If i stick doors on the front, they technically become garages, and i have to pay more building tax!

PICT6065.jpg

Rear extension added a few years back to give me 26ft inside.

PICT6066.jpg

Which i then extended off again. Big tractor usually sits under here and whatever boat is sitting on the trailer. Bit-by-bit extensions are usually tolerated, being out of the town planning area helps.....

PICT6067.jpg

I added the windows above the insulated workshop, the old hayloft. view from hayloft....

PICT6070.jpg

from insulated workshop to area of creation....

PICT6068.jpg

and vice -versa....

PICT6069.jpg

General chaos.....

PICT6071.jpg

I do generally work tidy, hard to believe i know looking at the pictures, which is why i look forward to getting both out of the way and having a good spring clear out. I think the building dates back to 1930. Its a large object to paint every 5-6 years. I did have intentions, or at least thoughts to insulating the rest of the building, but its an expense that can not be justified unless working commercially with a full order book. The insulation costs and heating for the build of one boat are just out of the question. More of a long term sanity project.......

I could have done without all those lovely shots, Mate.

You live on a danged picture postcard!

Peace,
    Better Than I Imagined It

Agree with Amish Rob's 'picture postcard'. Where I live most properties have highly function but boring commercially built sheds with steel frames and corrugated steel cladding. Your set up is more conducive to creativity. I love its natural and slightly ramshackle appearance. The interior shots have given me ideas for improvements in my shed. Before ever building a boat I gave little thought to the building environment, but many years later having now built various boats I see that a building area, be it just an outside space or be it a beautiful building like yours, is such a central part of any boat building endeavour. In this space the boat builder spends a big portion of his life, and even more if they actually live on site as many of us with limited finances do. Finding, buying, renting, begging access to, some kind of building space is the first major hurdle in a boat building project, so it is of much interest to see how others answer this need and to hear about how that is used. Is it lived in, is it far to travel to, how does the builder eventually move their boat to the water, do bureaucrats interfere and harass, etc etc.

From my own perspective, my first property was bought so that i could actually have somewhere to store boats without paying someone else. It was a shock that what i was paying for rent and storage, i could actually buy a small house and land and never again be made homeless,told to move on, or have storage costs increase because a part complete boat makes you a "trapped tenant" with little choice.
    I saw the above building first when i came to view this property, and had already decided within a few minutes that i would make an offer on the property, no matter what the house was like....and as the house had an inside toilet/shower AND hot and cold running water, which my previous dwelling lacked, it was a no brainer.
    Having worked in big steel sheds, there is nothing to look at, in some ways a boring building keeps you concentrated on the job at hand, no distractions. But again, a "comfortable" (however you define it) shed that puts you at peace can also be constructive. A not too comfortable chair, i have a stool, and a music system. I have to walk about 50 metres, so its a commute i can live with, but that 50 metres is an important seperation; at the end of what might be a stressy day, you want to be able to shut the doors and walk away. We seriously considered converting the roof space of the barn into a dwelling and renting/selling the house, but i did not, from experience, want to live "on site" anymore, having lived like that for many years previously.
    My first restoration project 27 years ago, took 2 years, i had a journey of 55 miles each way, no storage shed so everything had to be packed and unloaded every time. Being absolutely driven by my need to escape and go cruising, i did this without complaint, there was no other way. I certainly would not consider it today.
    Certainly having your own shed like this does allow a certain amount of flexibilty and dreaming, hence the chance to build a one off boat at your own pace without the pressure of outside costs mounting up, which brings it back to why purchased in the first place. I could not imagine moving back to South London, let alone to a property that might even have its own drive and a garage, let alone a garden; i am remided of the time i drove around when living there, with a Mirror dinghy strapped to the roof of my Hillman Imp, as i had no where to put it.......I dont think i want to go back to a life like that.......

Ha ha, that's funny about the mirror living on the roof rack. During the construction of my recently completed boat I lived in the shed with the boat but it isn't ideal due to the dust. On the upside though, being there all the time I could finish a day sitting with dinner and a glass of wine looking at the boat and working out the next day's schedule. It seems your property has the advantages of both having your boat building close at hand yet still being able to retreat to a house away from the building site. Perfect arrangement. Your shed/barn seems to suit your current boat build... there is a similarity between them. Not sure how to express what that is. Thanks for sharing about your work site, it is a really interesting part of the story.

Small Boats Rock, are you that cat with the flash Paradox?

Sorry, but my remember lump is on strike, and I sure can't find where I saw I connected your name with a Paradox, either, so, sorry if I'm wrong.

May as well talk about boats and building them, since it's seems pretty much all we do, eh?

Peace,
    Robert G. Boxington

skara, that not only looks like a great shop but i bet it is. reminds me of an old farm i bought in the 70's with a bunch of out buildings. with out being too personal, do you have a pic of the whole place with the house. i read land is hard get in england and am just wondering. you must be far away from the population centers. anyway, nice place.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Small Boats Rock, are you that cat with the flash Paradox?

Sorry, but my remember lump is on strike, and I sure can't find where I saw I connected your name with a Paradox, either, so, sorry if I'm wrong.

May as well talk about boats and building them, since it's seems pretty much all we do, eh?

Peace,
    Robert G. Boxington
    I do have a paradox, not sure if it is the one you have in mind. You can see the paradox, and my more recent William Atkin Perigee here http://geoffboat.weebly.com and I also have a separate thread on this forum covering the Perigee build.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    I do have a paradox, not sure if it is the one you have in mind. You can see the paradox, and my more recent William Atkin Perigee here http://geoffboat.weebly.com and I also have a separate thread on this forum covering the Perigee build.
    That answers two questions. It is you,and that's where I saw it.

Nice boats.

Peace,
    Robert