Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cordless Tools - Makita vs. DeWalt

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: Cordless Tools - Makita vs. DeWalt

^ thats impressive.

I bought a 14.4v Makita screw gun in about 1995. I still use it regularly. Have had to repack the batteries once.
    It is my old faithful.
    Philip K. Dick ó 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

I was at my local Fastenol shop the other day to purchase some hardware...talked to the sales person about their in-stock dewalt and Milwaukee cordless tools. Though she didn't state a preference for one over the other, she did state that the one's they sell are "contractor grade" even though they have matching numbers to the lesser quality ones sold at Home Depot. Don't know if this is true or just a sales pitch??? I'm in the market to start all over, including a rechargeable table saw for at the boatyard. The rechargeables I have right now are porter-cable from Lowes. They work fine but don't have as large a selection.

I go for the make with the best guarantee, in my case Milwaukee .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by scottmacc View Post
    I was at my local Fastenol shop the other day to purchase some hardware...talked to the sales person about their in-stock dewalt and Milwaukee cordless tools. Though she didn't state a preference for one over the other, she did state that the one's they sell are "contractor grade" even though they have matching numbers to the lesser quality ones sold at Home Depot. Don't know if this is true or just a sales pitch??? I'm in the market to start all over, including a rechargeable table saw for at the boatyard. The rechargeables I have right now are porter-cable from Lowes. They work fine but don't have as large a selection.
    Yes P/C is a bit of a fringe player in the cordless realm. Bosch is another. One of my fave drill/drivers... but not the full range of Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I have had fantastic luck with an 18V Bosch cordless drill and impact driver. They're both powerful, the battery life is excellent, the trigger on the drill is extremely progressive which is important to me. I've been using it for a few years now and the batteries don't show any signs of quitting, which for me is really where the rubber meets the road. I also have a 12V Milwaukee that is crappy. Cheap trigger, cheap chuck, hard to regulate the speed. That was a Home Depot "special buy." I do believe that the box stores have their cheaped-down versions of good brands tools made for them in bulk. Ryobi has gotten cheaper and cheaper as the years go by, but in the beginning (mid-1980s) the corded stuff was the equal of Makita. I have read, for what it's worth, that Makita is the only brand that hasn't outsourced it's manufacturing.

I own mostly Makita, but have used De Walt and it seems solid. The last 18v Li-on drill i bought was a Hitachi, as it was on special offer, been in almost daily use for around 5 years, and the batteries are still holding up right to the last, and for a battery tool, is has done some heavy stuff, including heavy masonary holes. I would after this experience, without doubt check what Hitachi have on offer compared to Makita, certainly one of my better investments, and it was in comparison, quite affordable.

I got the better part of eight years out of my old Bosch 12V nicad drill, before the second of the two batteries it came with, died. I've just replaced it with one of their li-ion drills.
    The batteries are literally half the size, 2.5Ah 18V up from 1.5Ah 12V, and charge in a mere 40 minutes. I wish I'd had that when I built the boat.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

I've been looking at makita kits, sick to death of running around after old dying nicads.
    Makita has a laminate trimmer, imagine that ,routing without dragging a cord....

Canít afford either so I bought a Ozito drill and driver set. Does everything I want with good battery life and recharge times.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    i went yellow because i can find them easier in the barn/shop
    ...a very good point. mid way into a project and can't find the right tool it's to aggravating to break off and go on the "great hunt"...yellow

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I went yellow.
    I keep the older style batteried ones at home, bring the new 20v" limited ion" to the boat.
    For no particular reason. I just wanted to stop "collecting" Ryobis's.
    Any military bases near you? (they have the best pawn shops).
    For my sins I get to repair woodworking machinery as part of my living, and some customers throw dead power tools at me to fix, you know, the ones from which the smoke has escaped. You know of course that power tools run on smoke, let the smoke out and they dont work any more. Anyway, more seriously, out of interest I've checked to see what brand of bearings are used in each brand of tool, where they source switches and brushes, how they machine bearing housings and if they lap the journals or just do one swipe with a CNC machining centre and so on.
    Ryobi? I generally toss them in the bin. Not worth the cost of repair, you get what you pay for in this world and you dont pay much for Ryobi. Sadly, they used to be good, but thats years in the past.
    Hitachi and Makita are both good, workmanlike, well engineered, and spares are generally not hard to get.
    The top of the heap? Festool, no doubt about it. Get in there with a microscope and check out the tolerances and finish internally, they're just beautiful.
    Expensive, but beautiful, once you've owned one you wont go back.
    DeWalt? Ok'ish but not as good as the two main Japanese brands, they're a part of the Black and Decker group, B&D are a faint shadow of what Mr Black and Mr Decker would have known. Sad to see them, and brands such as Skil, so reduced.

I do though see the whole "Which power tool" debate in much the same light as the "Ford or Chevy" debate, in that case both have wheels on each corner, drive down the road the same, dont look much different from a few paces away, and both do the job. So, pick your price level and stick with one brand so the batteries are compatible.

John Welsford
    Last edited by john welsford; 11-28-2018 at 01:28 AM.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've been looking at makita kits, sick to death of running around after old dying nicads.
    Makita has a laminate trimmer, imagine that ,routing without dragging a cord....
    I use one, absolutely great little tool! In your case, with the kind of work I imagine that you'd be doing with it I think I'd buy a couple of spare batteries.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Two weeks ago I mentioned that I rebuilt a Dewalt battery pack with Tennergy sub c cells. They worked great -- for about 10 - 20 discharge cycles. The little red light on the charger is telling me that they are already toast. EDIT: Once it cooled off, it took a charge. I'll run another couple hundred 2" screws into the frozen decking and update if anything changes. It will reach a high of 17F today, so there will be some stress on the driver and battery.

So I like yellow, but blue and red sound better. At Home Depot the tool guy was definitely in the red camp, but thought that blue was still pretty good. I am still considering the Rigid impulse driver because it is quieter and frankly an interesting alternative that is attractive because it is different, but not necessarily a good idea. I may vote my wallet and go with Milwaukee.

EDIT: My daughter needed a drill and driver. We went with the Milwaukee driver (2850-20) and drill (2801-20) with a brace of 2 Ah batteries. Someone said that one store said that their drivers were commercial grade while the same model number at another store were not. No reasonable manufacturer would do that.

Just to add to the confusion, the prices are all Home Depot:
    Milwaukee Model # $ torque rpm bpm
    Brushless 2757-20 $179.00 1800 3000 3700
    Brushless 2853-20 $129.00 2000 3600 4300
    Brushless 2851-20 $119.00 1600 3200 4200
    Brushless 2750-20 $109.00 1500 2900 3600
    Brushless 2850-20 $109.00 1600 3200 4200
    Brush 2656-20 $99.00 1500 2750 3450
    Last edited by MN Dave; 12-06-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch