Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Tools - Makita vs. DeWalt

Default Cordless Tools - Makita vs. DeWalt

I have been using corded tools, but it seems like about time to switch to cordless, though I am getting a bit of sticker shock. In any case, the following two kits may be about my speed, one from DeWalt and the other from Makita:

DeWalt (Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK299...iver+Combo+Kit )
    20v Max XR
    DCD996 Hammer Drill - Brushless/1/2" chuck/Variable Speed/All metal transmission
    DCF887 Impact Driver - Brushless/1/4" hex chuck/1825 in-lbs torque/3 Speed/0-3600 Impacts per minue
    2 5.0 amp hour batteries
    Battery Charger
    Hard Case
    $299.00

Makita (Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XT267T...it+%285.0Ah%29 )
    18v
    XPH07Z Hammer Driver Drill - Brushless/1/2" chuck/Variable speed/all metal transmission
    XDT13Z Impact Driver - Brushless/1/4" hex chuck/1500 in-lbs torque/variable speed
    2 5.0 amp hour batteries
    Rapid charge battery charger
    Hard case
    $307.99

So, which should I buy? Also, is this the time to buy, or should I expect a better price during the Christmas shopping season in a couple of weeks? Is there something else I should be looking at?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Cordless Tools - Makita vs. DeWalt

I went yellow.
    I keep the older style batteried ones at home, bring the new 20v" limited ion" to the boat.
    For no particular reason. I just wanted to stop "collecting" Ryobis's.
    Any military bases near you? (they have the best pawn shops).

Both are good names. I favor DeWalt over Makita, but not for any practical reason. I would wait and buy during the holiday shopping season.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

There are always packaged deals on offer during the holiday madness. Both are good. I would make my choice based on 1) how spare bits are stored on the driver, 2) can the led light be turned on without actually driving the motor? (very handy in a dark space), and 3) how it feels in my hand.

Jeff

I donít think you can go wrong with either brand. What color do you like better?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I'm not about to buy any more battery drills.I have enough for now and hope hey last a good while longer.I bought the last two in different circumstances and find both ok ,but neither are from the makers you have settled on.I would avoid buying for a few weeks unless the lack of said tools is an inconvenience and see what comes along in the new year sales.In the mean time I would have a browse through a few websites to see how well they hold up or if there are known weak spots. I would also broaden the search to include Bosch and Hitachi.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I don’t think you can go wrong with either brand. What color do you like better?
    That is one reason why I did not compare anything from Milwaukee. I hate red. I like both DeWalt and Makita colors.

My maintenance guys at my shop have been using the 18volt Dewalts for more than a decade of hard use and are very satisfied. I upgrade my home set to the 20 volt system a couple of years ago and am also very happy. My only disappointment is that Dewalt doesnít make a battery powered trim router. Makita does and itís awesome. Dewalt is supposed to be releasing on next year.

I have a slight preference for Makita, had Dewalt in the past and use it at work, but it now being owned by Black and Decker keeps me away.
    If I was starting out again I'd be looking at Milwaukee

Starting over ^

Festool!

I've always been a DeWalt fan but all the DeWalt tools in my stable are American made. I think a lot are now made in, (where else?), China. Still probably good. If you're thinking combo deal take a look in Home Depot. They've got this deal currently and if I was starting a cordless tool collection this is where I'd start. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also, take a look at Rigid. I used to scoff but after getting a great deal on a drill driver/saw combo I can say that the quality is really high. Life time guarantee on the whole tool including the batteries.

To provide a contrary opinion, everyone at the shop uses 4 amp makita drill motors and impact drivers. They get used incredibly hard and in terrible conditions and hold up very well, only downside is that they're real heavy. As for bit storage, bits live in your work pants coin pocket.
    Nicholas

Be careful on the waiting for the holidays idea. Many brands bring out inferior quality collections for the season. Be sure you are comparing like specs when comparing prices.

While we’re on the subject, has anyone used the DeWalt battery converter on the old 18v tools to convert them to the 20v Lithium ion batteries? Is it worth doing?

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    I have a slight preference for Makita, had Dewalt in the past and use it at work, but it now being owned by Black and Decker keeps me away.
    If I was starting out again I'd be looking at Milwaukee
    I'm starting out again.

I left my well used, but still good Milwaukee 14.4V kit in Sydney for my ex (both batteries have been re-packed and there's a new charger).

I bought an 18V Milwaukee kit in Chiang Mai a couple of weeks ago. US$453
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

My first cordless tool was a Makita drill with a 9.6 amp 'stick' battery. Compared to todays tools... it was crap. Wimpy and short-lived. But Makita kept improving their tools, and are really still the benchmark.

I still have some 18v Makita drill/drivers, but a few years ago switched over to Milwaukee. In several small but important ways, I prefer them. But I agree that you wouldn't likely regret going with the Makita.

I have mixed feelings about DeWalt. Back in the 80's, they recruited us to become a beta-test shop for their new lines. Mostly corded tools at that point, but some cordless prototypes. They recognized their brand was falling behind, and they wanted to catch up. They did that by bringing in a whole mob of fresh blood. Young industrial designers with new ideas. Unfortunately... they did not seem to keep a leavening of older, more experienced folks to keep it ballasted. So the tools were all over the map, and it was clear that none of the kids had ever worked in a shop. So there was some nifty stuff they brought out. There was some so-so stuff. There were some brilliant notions fatally flawed by that lack of practical experience I mentioned. They eventually got tired of hearing most of their genius ideas critiqued... and dropped us from the program... then dropped the program entirely.

And all the DeWalt tools I got to keep from that period... are long-dead. While the Makita kit is still mostly running.

OTOH... the really HAVE gotten better in recent years. Enough so, that - if I were committing to a battery system for the first time now - I'd consider considering DeWalt. I love their 18v cordles oscillating multi-tool. Looks like a home-run to me. Their corded lunchbox planer is THE benchmark. I don't like several of their other tools. Their corded compact router, for instance. Too fat to hold comfortably for long periods - unless you've got huge hands. And way noisy. Much prefer the Makita, or even the Rigid. If you envision getting a cordless chop-saw... DeWalt is one of the Best. But I had a chance to test the newer Makita recently... and like it even better.

So... bottom line for me --

If you want tools that will last and be trouble-free... Makita and Milwaukee.

DeWalt may have reached that level... or close to it... but my impression is they are still not as consistent.

If you want to keep the dollars down, and not end up with crap... consider Rigid. But I think they are a step or three behind the tech curve when it comes to 'cordless'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Yevsky View Post
    I've always been a DeWalt fan but all the DeWalt tools in my stable are American made. I think a lot are now made in, (where else?), China.
    Earlier this year I got the DCD996 Hammer Drill and the DCF887 Impact Driver being considered by the OP -- both are made in the USA. I chose DeWalt because some professionals I have talked to -- carpenters and appliance installers use and told me they like the DeWalt 20v driver and drill very much, and I have observed several other pros using these tools. I have been quite pleased with them. I subsequently bought the DeWalt 20v multi-tool, which is made in Mexico, the DeWalt 20v Sawzall and 20v chop saw -- both perform very well ( don't know where these last two were made and can't lay my hands on them right now). The 2Ah and 4Ah batteries are made in Korea.

Take a look at the other tools in the line that you might consider in the future -- being able to buy just a bare tool (no battery or charger)
    of the brand you already have can save some bucks.

Once you decide all your other battery tools will be the same. Interchangeable battery. Something to keep in mind. I like makita myself. The 7,1/4 inch makita battery circ saw is a joy to use. You will want more tools

I have gotten a lot of use out of my old 18V Dewalt cordless drill and impact driver. This is my second Dewalt drill and first driver. The smaller batteries are short lived, and the old ones with the sub-C cells both died. The online reviews say that the new Dewalt replacement batteries are crap, so I bought a 15 pack of Tenergy sub C cells to rebuild the old larger pack. So far so good, I get a lot more run time with the new batteries. I may have to try 20V Li someday.

This review of 11 impact drivers (one was impulse) ranked Dewalt best, followed by Rigid impulse, Milwaukee and Makita. So maybe yellow is better than blue.
    https://www.protoolreviews.com/buyin...undup/21156/3/

David G - very interesting post. It sounds like you got a lot more time in on the tools than I ever will.

So has anyone tried any of the much quieter impulse drivers? There are some reviews that except for the Rigid, the torque isn't up to driving lag screws. It looks like the driving ability runs Rigid> Milwaukee> Makita> Ryobi. The Rigid is a 3 lb beast, compared to the 2 lb drivers.
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...ivers-quieter/
    https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools...h-force/21421/
    https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools...-driver/26412/
    Last edited by MN Dave; 11-26-2018 at 01:37 AM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

knot a fan of HAMMER DRILLS(one more element to go south)

huge fan of drills w/ torque adjustment(being able to use lower torque for initial screw setting to avoid spinning out)

love the little impact drivers(great disassembly tools)

i went yellow because i can find them easier in the barn/shop ;-)

DeWalt 18v & 20v are both actually the same voltage and you can get an adapter for older 18's to accept the newer 20v batteries

newer yellow batteries are available in different AH capacities

i keep 2 chargers at the ready when i'm working and they work their little butts off

the above suggestion to goto the local pawn shop is not too far off

the above suggestion to wait for holiday sales is sound if NEW is your MO

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I have one of these as well as the 10 yo version that's still going strong powerful and fits in my tool pouch hard to beat for $100 I use both the old one and new one daily, that said I see more DeWalt stuff on the job sites.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-12-volt...BoCuscQAvD_BwE

Ryobi --

The same firm owns Milwaukee, Rigid, and Ryobi.

Milwaukee is their top-end line. Best engineering. Stoutest build. Newest tech. Highest level of qc. Call it the Lexus or BMW.

Rigid is good value and solid. Call it the Honda Accord.

Ryobi is for light and undemanding use. Call it the Kia Rio.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    i went yellow because i can find them easier in the barn/shop ;-)
    Any brand can be made yellow.
    Last edited by MN Dave; 11-26-2018 at 01:35 AM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Modern cordless battery technology is amazing. I was helping a Forumite build the foundation for his new house up in Brooklin this fall and we needed to pin the footings to the granite ledge. We needed to drill sixty 3/4” holes 6 inches deep in solid granite. With no AC power on site. Our first thought was to rent a generator but we decided we’d try it first with one of these:

We had two of the Flex Volt 20-60 volt batteries, 6 Amp hours each. It took two days but we drilled all those holes no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    knot a fan of HAMMER DRILLS(one more element to go south)
    sw
    If you do much drilling in masonry or stone, a hammer drill is far superior to an ordinary drill. You can generally turn the hammer feature off when not needed. Any extra feature is, I suppose, "one more element to go south," but some features beyond basic are clearly worth the risk.

My first power drill years ago was one speed, and not reversible. Variable speed and reversibility are elements/features that could "go south," but they generally do not, and I am willing to run the risk of their failure for the benefit conferred. I am not aware that hammer drills are particularly prone to failure, and am willing to run the risk for the much easier drilling in concrete, brick, and stone, all of which are materials in encounter frequently in my house.

Of course, comparable drills without the hammer feature are available, if that's what you want.

But I am happy that with the newer, more powerful and smaller brushless motor, my new DeWalt DCD996 Hammer Drill 1/2" hammer drill is no heavier and no larger than my old 14v Makita 3/8" drill (which has served me well for years), and is much lighter and smaller than my old corded AEG hammer drill (which has also served me very well for years) -- and I don't have to keep two drills around.

I have all Makita. I like blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Always fun to replace the batteries on perfectly good Makita drill and realize the battery costs 1.25 X the price of the tool new.
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Always fun to replace the batteries on perfectly good Makita drill and realize the battery costs 1.25 X the price of the tool new.
    Yes, the batteries are the expensive bit. Keep in mind - there are considerable savings available by having your old batteries rebuilt, rather than buying new units.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yes, the batteries are the expensive bit. Keep in mind - there are considerable savings available by having your old batteries rebuilt, rather than buying new units.
    I actually have all the equipment to build and repair battery packs, welder, shrink sleeve, resin impregnated fiber board and tube, I build 200lb packs for the Navy for UW gliders.

But they price them just right so it's not worth my time.
    PaulF

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Flying to the Caribbean, (well Bermuda this year),only allowed to carry 2 batteries, so I just bought a 6 hour,20 volt De walt..about a hundred bux from amazon.

I use both on the job. If you will be getting a battery operated skil saw, Makita is far superior here.

Much of DeWalt is made in the USA. these days.

Most of the tradesmen seem to favor DeWalt if interoperability is an issue.

Lowes-DeWalt yellow blue
    Makita-Home Depot orange green

My personal kit is Makita, if starting anew, I think I would do rhe same again.
    Steve Martinsen

Still havn't been able break my old Makita 9.6, which I still use when its weight and form make it the tool of choice.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Still havn't been able break my old Makita 9.6, which I still use when its weight and form make it the tool of choice.
    I had one of those years ago. When the battery gave out (by which time I had already upgraded) I made a lead to plug it into my boat's 12V system and left it on the boat. !2V didnt bother it at all!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Take a look at the Milwaukee M18 brushless line.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Here's an interesting take on the which-brand-of-tool-to-buy debate. A buddy recently helped me replace all of the struts and shocks on my Honda Odyssey. He's got a nice set of automotive tools, including a new 1/2" corded DeWalt impact wrench and a new 1/2" Milwaukee cordless impact wrench. We assumed that the corded DeWalt would be the stronger wrench. I get a tire off with the DeWalt and start on a strut. The nuts won't budge and the DeWalt just spins. Uh oh, I think, maybe have to get a pro for this. But we then try the Milwaukee and it takes the nut off like opening a can of beer. We then proceed to the other tires, struts and shocks and the wrench never hesitated. We replaced everything without re-charging and the wrench still as strong as when we started. Needless to say, I was very impressed.