Thread: Expand Wooden Ferrule by 2 mm?

Default Expand Wooden Ferrule by 2 mm?

Making a cane from a cut-off el-cheapo wooden cane handle and a section of broken windsurfer mast.

20181111_120217.jpg

The ID of the windsurfer mast is 2mm larger than the cane handle's OD, so I want to build up the cane handle by 1mm all around.

End product comes out like the one on the bottom:

I can think of several ways to do it, but the one that is most appealing is soaking the handle in something-or-other to make the wood swell and then trimming to fit.

Kiln-dried hickory, about 5" (13 cm) of insertion.

Has anybody ever heard of doing such a thing?

There's this stuff: http://www.westernwooddoctor.com/chairloc.htm, but I have no clue how much swelling it can induce and/or whether it would be realistic with 5" of hickory.

I don't care for the obvious: potting it in epoxy because of centering issues and relative permanence.

I've made a few of these things and prefer just forcing the handle in for a tight friction fit.
    Last edited by PeteCress; 11-11-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Default Re: Expand Wooden Ferrule by 2 mm?

Well that won't work. As soon as it dries out again (central heating anyone?) it will return to its usual diameter.
    You could saw two kerfs across the centre and glue in thin wedges to spread the quadrants out by the millimetre that you need.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

You can make a few nice long nice long plane shavings (my wife calls them "curls") and wrap them bedded in pva glue to a little bit oversized then fit them.

I like something related to Gib's suggestion.

Or just wrap some glass around the shaft. But you'd need to use that "horrible" epoxy to set it.
    Then sand to fit.

Or use some veneer. glue it down on one edge with thick superglue. then coat with your preferred glue and wrap until it is thick enough.
    Tape it down to dry.

How about one of those woven sleeves?

I did a modified glass wrap: applied two layers of thin packing tape (the kind with fiberglass strands in it) and crammed it in for a very tight fit.

Hoping that the fiberglass strands take the real load and hang in there even after the mylar breaks down.

Put a screw through the mast section and into the wood as a CYA to prevent slippage if/when I apply force on the handle-mast connection.

Time will tell - I can always back it out and do it one of the "Right" ways.... but this seems tb working so far.

20181114_094838_proc.jpg

When the strapping tape dries up or the rubber based PSA turns to goo salvaging the parts is of questionable value. On the plus side, it is well protected so it will take a long time to go bad.

Next time, i wonder if you could glue some round tooth picks to the cane as spacers to keep it centered while the epoxy filler sets up. This is another place where the dreaded big hairy ape PU foaming glue could work. There is so much surface area that the adhesive doesn't have to be much harder and stiffer than than a mm thick layer of strapping tape.

There is no way you will swell hickory that much. Chair-loc type wood swelling products are often mostly dipropylene glycol, which is a cheap enough chemical to buy. $5 per pint in the link. The boiling point is over 400F, so it will not evaporate for a long time.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Prepare a syringe of thickened epoxy.
    Drill 2-3 holes through the side of the tube, sized to suit syringe.
    Insert handle about 2".
    Inject thickened epoxy into holes to fill the void.