Thread: A new one at T.F. Green (airport)

Default A new one at T.F. Green (airport)

I doní t remember seeing her before.

She is now one of three Herreshoffs on display at T.F. Green airport on Prov. R.I. Itís always nice to take a stroll past them when returning home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: A new one at T.F. Green (airport)

Is that the work of the Herreshoff Museum? Thanks, Ned

A curious wishbone rig. Can anyone explain?

They did it. What's curious about it, Jim? It has reappeared off and on since and HMC may not have originated the idea. Then again, it is curious but it might sell.

That's PRIM, an Amphi-Craft, she's been there several years, on loan from the Herreshoff Museum, hull number 1276. Love the factory trailer, Indian Motorcycle wheels, boat carried stern first, designed to minimize lifting and simplify fastening. The mast is streamlined and pivots, luff is in a groove, eliminating the sail track and associated airflow disruption. The Wishboom lets the foot of the sail be boomless and it was an experiment towards controlling optimum draft of the sail, moving area of high and low pressure around like an airplane wing. The boom angle along with the clew outhaul helped keep the boom/sail from riding up. The mast was segmented, one of the bands is visible in the photo, all of the spars fit inside the boat under a factory canvas tarpaulin. There are even little custom spar holders inside the boat.

The AMPHI-CRAFT was meant to open up thousands of mies of waterways and expand HMCo's customer base. Equipped with oars, centerboard and an adjustable rudder for shallow water. The transom is reinforced for an outboard.

We wrote a blog entry on the AMPHI-CRAFT. There is one at Mystic and a couple others out there.

http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot...phi-craft.html

Cheers
    Kent and Audrey

Ahhhh,... Thank you. I guess I have always been to busy looking at the varnished inboard launch to really notice her in the past.

Thank you, Kent and Audrey.

Another benefit with that type of sprit rig is there is no interference with the sail when one one tack or another. HMCo did wind tunnel testing with the rig and were happy with it, you can see remnants of the idea on the new UFO foiling catamaran design by the Clarks, they cite the Amphi-Craft for the rig inspiration, and the Alcort Catfish for the rigid deck design.

There is another nice Herreshoff sailboat in the lobby of the airport, but I can’t find my file photos or remember the model. Does anyone know what she is?

cheers, Kent and Audrey

LFH with the 125' boats was working on aero; Sidney as well. basic problem here was hmc was 10x what a nice canoe would cost, much more expensive than a simple outboard or something like the Trailer aka the Snipe. And there was the depression.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

The sloop in Ned's pictures from this thread http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...rt-Warwich-R-I

Glad for this tip. I'll be visiting PVD this week and will allow time to linger.

Be sure to get a glamor shot. I showed up in a Captain's uniform and tried to convince them I was the Harbor Pilot there to take her out, the airport staff didn't buy it.

Special thanks to Maynard Bray and Museum Curator Carlton Pinheiro for documenting the little ship in Herreshoff of Bristol. (WoodenBoat, 1989). Here's one of their pics from the Herreshoff files, PRIM ready for delivery to Mrs Crocker in 1935:

Oh, found the information on one of the other boats at the airport, she is FIREFLY, a Watch Hill 15 Day Sailer, built in 1922, HMCo Number 880. LOA 24' 6", LWL 15' 0". Co-designed by NGH and ASDeWH.

FMI: http://www.herreshoff.org/hmm/herreshoff_boat_collection.html

Quote Originally Posted by signalcharlie View Post
    The sloop in Ned's pictures from this thread http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...rt-Warwich-R-I
    Thank you. Saved me from having to look for it.

Also, ....... I suspect the Amphi-craft at the airport has been glassed.
    Last edited by nedL; 11-12-2018 at 05:11 PM.

From the book Yachts by Herreshoff, 1934.

To follow up on the UFO note, with experience in using spreaders, Steve Clark turned the Amphi-craft's strut into a forward angled spreader with an adjustable diamond to create a shroudless rig that will stiffen a sailboard tube.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

Good info Ben, thanks for noting that.

I just noticed that there is no sail on PRIM in Ned's picture, maybe they had her off doing some work on her.

Don't tell the Skipper, but I'd like to have an Amphi-Craft in our collection

k

The problem with the sail is the fragility of the mast groove. These sails all has cotton or manila luff ropes which with a bit of moisture swell. Tight to hoist with the possibility of jamming. One of the wonderful things about the AC is the various bits that HMC put in them to safely stow rig and oars when on the road.

Ben
    Ben Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    The problem with the sail is the fragility of the mast groove. These sails all has cotton or manila luff ropes which with a bit of moisture swell. Tight to hoist with the possibility of jamming. One of the wonderful things about the AC is the various bits that HMC put in them to safely stow rig and oars when on the road.

Ben
    I saw all those little spar and oar supports on the AC at Mystic, very entertaining. Probably one of the first times that I though about boats that were designed for all of the spars to fit inside. The gunter rig on our Drascombe Lugger does that, now I need to make "chocks" for all of her spars

k

Special thanks to Maynard Bray and Museum Curator Carlton Pinheiro for documenting the little ship in Herreshoff of Bristol. (WoodenBoat, 1989). Here's one of their pics from the Herreshoff files, PRIM ready for delivery to Mrs Crocker in 1935:

Oh, found the information on one of the other boats at the airport, she is FIREFLY, a Watch Hill 15 Day Sailer, built in 1922, HMCo Number 880. LOA 24' 6", LWL 15' 0". Co-designed by NGH and ASDeWH.

FMI: http://www.herreshoff.org/hmm/herreshoff_boat_collection.html

That Spitfire wing shaped centreboard predates the aircraft so I wonder where they found the inspiration.

Years ago I saw the photo of the AC on her trailer stern first and have loaded our smaller rowboat on the trailer that way ever since. I realized it was easier to haul, paint and launch that way. The kids couldn't wait for spring and have me just push them (in the boat) off the trailer into the harbor. They even wanted me to untie the straps, back down the ramp and slam to a stop so they'd shoot off the trailer! No dice. They'd row home while I drove the trailer back to the house.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

More info on the Providence Airport boats, on loan from the Herreshoff Museum. Nice of Ms Ansel to reply!

"That is correct: we have three boats on display at T.F. Green Airport in Warwick, including the Amphicraft PRIM (HMCo. #1276, 1935), a Watch Hill 15 named FIREFLY (HMCo. #880, 1922), and a gasoline launch named 240 (HMCo. #240, 1904). PRIM's sail was an original, cotton, and during our last biannual cleaning we decided that it needs a break from the UV and bird exposure at the airport. We're hoping to build a replica sail we can put up permanently without conservation issues.

Glad to hear there's interest on the forum! Don't hesitate to write if you have any other questions.

Best,
    Evelyn Ansel
    Curatorial Associate
    Herreshoff Marine Museum /
    America's Cup Hall of Fame

Cheers
    Kent

If anyone is interested here is the launch again.

Ms Ansel... reply...

"PRIM's sail was an original, cotton, and during our last biannual cleaning we decided that it needs a break from the UV and bird exposure at the airport....."

Bird exposure?? Is the boat outdoors? Or are there birds flying around inside the airport??
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Boat is inside. Not unusual to have birds inside the airport.

k

I have friends who worked at building one of the big nearby malls, starting when the steel framework was going up with birds around. The birds were still in the place when it was all enclosed. Years later I heard from one of them that they had been back and the same birds or their progeny were still there.

Around here all the “Big Box stores” have permanent birds in them. They are even fed indoors.