Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

Default Re: The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

Salish 100 2019 photos from my iPhone, with some by others downloaded from FB and hopefully all given credit - https://www.flickr.com/photos/thorne...RNuCiQDIeqwarc

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I rowed across on Wednesday to catch the group as they travelled from Blake Island to Kingston. Here's a few photos.

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

And with that I'm out of time. I'll post more later.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I rowed across on Wednesday to catch the group as they travelled from Blake Island to Kingston. Here's a few photos.

And with that I'm out of time. I'll post more later.
    Tim - who was sailing the other yawl with you that day? I've managed to forget already. Great fun crossing tacks with you guys! Can you send me a link to the pics of me and Goblin?

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The other boat looks like Dan in Otter an Oughtred Ness Yawl (?)
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

That’s Dan! I think he’s Otter99 here on el forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

This sure sounds like a great event. There is nothing like it in the Northeast. I’ve really enjoyed the photos.

I participated in the Salish 100 in my Scamp LUNA, with my friend Keith, another Scamp builder, as crew.

I don't have a motor, preferring to use oars as auxiliary power, and made a point of not accepting any tows. We rowed some on day 2 Henderson Inlet to Penrose State Park, and about half the way on day 3 Penrose to Gig Harbor, but most of the voyage was with north-flowing ebb currents which made our time on the oars relatively efficient, and light-air drifting very pleasant. The best day of sailing was on day 6 Kingston to Mats Mats Bay, with a nice Southerly breeze and some good-sized waves off Point No Point. We covered ground pretty quickly that morning, arriving at the entrance to Mats Mats about noon. Having such a blast we didn't want to quit, we broke away from the group and carried on, through the Port Townsend Canal, into Killsut Harbor, and anchored that night in Mystery Bay.

We tended to anchor off each night so we might have missed some of the social aspects at the docks with such a large flotilla, but it certainly never felt crowded. It seemed like there was only about a dozen or so boats travelling the route, a different dozen each day. So, if you were out there, I probably didn't see you!

(Actually, I met lots of nice boats, and people too. Good fun.)

I've posted an album of photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmENj8UD

Great photos! Thanks, Dale.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by dsimonson View Post

, but it certainly never felt crowded. It seemed like there was only about a dozen or so boats travelling the route, a different dozen each day. So, if you were out there, I probably didn't see you!

(Actually, I met lots of nice boats, and people too. Good fun.

I'm very encouraged to hear this. I was very concerned it would turn into a moving circus, and be constant noise and chaos.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    I'm very encouraged to hear this. I was very concerned it would turn into a moving circus, and be constant noise and chaos.
    That was my concern, too, Ben. I think if you wanted to feel part of a larger crowd (safety in numbers, or just companionship, or whatever) that opportunity was there, but if you wanted a bit of distance, you could easily find that too. Probably the best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Great photos! Thanks, Dale.

Jeff
    Thanks, Jeff! As usual, I found I didn't take enough photos, so supplemented with a few from others on the cruise. I tried to make sure credit was given to those that weren't mine. Hope that's ok.

Cheers,
    Dale

It was a great trip. I'm jazzed I made it all the way and my skiff didn't fall apart!

Under the right conditions I could keep up with the fleet just fine under sail, and the skiff rows just fine, but under oars I can't keep up with a boat with two oarsmen taking turns for long. I know because I tried.

image105.jpg

It sure was to much for this little boat off Point No Point. I dang near capsized at least a half dozen times before I got smart and dropped the sail and mast that day and limited myself to rowing. Even then, I wore myself out dealing with the waves and eventually gave it up and called for a tow.

SAM_8170.jpg

It was an interesting "rescue at sea", and I was rather surprised that the skiff didn't come apart, flip or swamp during that tow, and my camping gear even stayed dry in my 25 year old drybag!

Honestly, I never would have left Kingston that day If I had had an alternative way out. I left the harbor reefed at about 8 o'clock and ran smack into that wind and chop, and I knew I had no business being there at all in that little flat-bottomed skiff.

The last day I left Mats Mats at about 10, and fought like heck under sail and oar to get out against the current. Did anyone else manage to get out under oars alone that morning? I know a few others did.

I enjoyed the rest of the day, rain included (isn't it amazing how much rain water the sail can funnel into an open boat?) but I guess I was lollygagging and ghosting along instead of sticking to the oars because when I was still maybe 1-1/2 miles out of Port Townsend I got a call from the folks who were supposed to provide me a ride back to Olympia saying that they couldn't wait any longer, bye!

So yeah, I'm just jazzed I made it back at all!

Paul Grun, of the Wm. Garden Eel, Pickpocket, has started putting some of his pictures of the voyage online:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136227...57709300305096

Pete Leenhouts has been putting his photos up also:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/old_sa...57709260145226

And I've got five days' worth up so far:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohne...57709713485112

Day six, the most interesting day, will be up soon...

At the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Show next week Marty will be giving an hour long presentation about the first ever Salish 100, featuring photos by some of the photographers who went along. Saturday at 2:30 at the Adventure Stage in the NW Maritime Center:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y6o5fmys

https://woodenboat.org/wp-content/up...stival-Map.pdf

I plan on attending Marty's talk.