Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

Default Re: The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

The Port Townsend Pocket Yachters now have a slick new website, with all the details and latest info on the Salish 100, and other Pocket Yachter events.

http://www.pocketyachters.com/salish-100
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

I like the list of recommended gear on the new site and have most of it, although I've never seen a lead line used on small boats and may not bring one. The boarding ladder is the main thing I don't have yet, not sure whether to go for the 3 or 4 step model.

https://www.pocketyachters.com/equipment-list
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I've no GPS or VHS radio, but don't expect to need them.
    Charts? I got a road map....
    But somehow I don't think I'll get lost.
    Yeah, I don't see the need for a lead line on a flat bottomed skiff that can easily be beached like mine.

I certainly am looking forward to the cruise!

Lead line - useful for navigation in the fog? But the GPS should do for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Etdbob View Post
    I've no GPS or VHS radio, but don't expect to need them.
    Charts? I got a road map....
    But somehow I don't think I'll get lost.
    Yeah, I don't see the need for a lead line on a flat bottomed skiff that can easily be beached like mine.

I certainly am looking forward to the cruise!

You can get away without GPS by using a map, but a handheld VHF should be a minimum requirement.

Ben Sebens, RN

Why?

I've canoed some pretty big waters and have been going on multi-week wilderness canoe trips for decades. Not to mention solo backpacking, cycle touring, spelunking, yada yada.

I grew up long before cell phones and am used to being self-reliant. I get myself into something I'll get myself out.
    Heck, bet I can jump overboard and swim ashore anywhere on this trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Etdbob View Post
    Why?

I've canoed some pretty big waters and have been going on multi-week wilderness canoe trips for decades. Not to mention solo backpacking, cycle touring, spelunking, yada yada.

I grew up long before cell phones and am used to being self-reliant. I get myself into something I'll get myself out.
    Heck, bet I can jump overboard and swim ashore anywhere on this trip!
    Fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Well, you might want to communicate with the group you are travelling with. Heck, you may even want to check in with a Tug and Tow. Or see if anyone has a cold beer.

I'm sure you'll be fine, but out of consideration of your fellow travelers, a handheld VHF is a small ask.

Ben Sebens, RN

I'd rather row than tow.

But I don't mean to be inconsiderate - What does an inexpensive radio run?

I believe they run on Li-Ion batteries but I'm not going to google it to confirm.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Look at the funny bone on Tim.

A 2 second google shows this simple but effective radio for just over $80.

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-MHS75-...59356916&psc=1

Ben Sebens, RN

As someone who's been on a few multi-boat cruises and seen non-fatal things happen that included sheriffs searching in boats and planes, the issue isn't what you can or might do, the issue is what might ruin the organizers with legal fees.

So if anyone is truly a rugged individualist, I recommend that they go explore on their own -- that's what rugged individualists do, after all. I took some memorable solo mountaineering trips in the PNW back in my salad days, and sailed solo from Anacortes to Nainamo and back -- all great fun.

But when you travel under an organization's insurance policy, and they provide motherships and other benefits, it is only polite and responsible to play by their rules. As an organizer of much smaller boating and black powder events I completely understand how this all works!
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

On the fun side, Marty Loken just posted on the Salish 100 Facebook group page about some of the plans for launching in staggered shifts, and referred to the entire group of boats as "the armada".

Here's my reply -

Oooh oooh! Brilliant! “Armada” is the perfect term, or better yet....

.... THE SALISH ARMADA !!!!

Remember you saw it here first, folks! That way Marty will know who to blame.
    Last edited by Thorne; 03-06-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    As someone who's been on a few multi-boat cruises and seen non-fatal things happen that included sheriffs searching in boats and planes, the issue isn't what you can or might do, the issue is what might ruin the organizers with legal fees.

So if anyone is truly a rugged individualist, I recommend that they go explore on their own -- that's what rugged individualists do, after all. I took some memorable solo mountaineering trips in the PNW back in my salad days, and sailed solo from Anacortes to Nainamo and back -- all great fun.

But when you travel under an organization's insurance policy, and they provide motherships and other benefits, it is only polite and responsible to play by their rules. As an organizer of much smaller boating and black powder events I completely understand how this all works!
    My thoughts as well.
    FYI - the lead line - when anchoring out, it is occasionally useful to reassure yourself that the bottom will not rise up and bite you in the ass overnight, or if hanging off an anchor buddy will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hvalsoe View Post
    My thoughts as well.
    FYI - the lead line - when anchoring out, it is occasionally useful to reassure yourself that the bottom will not rise up and bite you in the ass overnight, or if hanging off an anchor buddy will work.
    That makes perfect sense. Sailing mainly in non-tidal waters, I'm not sure I would have thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    That makes perfect sense. Sailing mainly in non-tidal waters, I'm not sure I would have thought of that. Thanks for the tip.Tom
    When I singlehanded through the San Juans in the early 90's I also didn't think of the 15' tidal change -- and found my inflatable dinghy still tied to a log but completely submerged at one of the marine parks when I returned after a hike. DOH!

Probably should have used a longer line, eh?

I'll no doubt make my share of dumb mistakes if I ever get around to cruising in an area with serious tidal range.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I think we need a T shirt of that!

Registration closed, 200 boats!

Are you sure you want to go with "Armada"? The most famous one didn't turn out so well.

So jealous. Looks like a great event.

Kenny
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman View Post
    Are you sure you want to go with "Armada"? The most famous one didn't turn out so well.

Heh, the appropriateness of the term will depend upon the outcome of the cruise. We'll have to let you know!

Starting to pick up the emergency equipment from Marty's list. I'm looking for a VHF radio that can be depended on for a week without access to a charging station. Most seem to have a lithium battery and some sort of propriatery charging dock or attachment. In order to use my solar charger, USB charging would be nice. And then, in the absense of sunshine, an alkaline battery tray would be great. The Uniden MHS126 has the tray, but not the USB capability. Anybody know of a unit that has both capabilities in the under $125 range?

Edit -

Found one - Standard Horizon HX300. USB charge and accessory battery tray. Good ratings. $125ish.
    Last edited by Jim.Montana; 04-05-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Montana View Post
    Starting to pick up the emergency equipment from Marty's list. I'm looking for a VHF radio that can be depended on for a week without access to a charging station. Most seem to have a lithium battery and some sort of propriatery charging dock or attachment. In order to use my solar charger, USB charging would be nice. And then, in the absense of sunshine, an alkaline battery tray would be great. The Uniden MHS126 has the tray, but not the USB capability. Anybody know of a unit that has both capabilities in the under $125 range?

Edit -

Found one - Standard Horizon HX300. USB charge and accessory battery tray. Good ratings. $125ish.
    Jim,

From personal experience, a small solar panel + companion battery will work just fine in the summer here in the Salish Sea and even up the Inside Passage where there is less sun, on average.

You'll get enough sunny days to charge the battery to tide you over the non-sunny days, to charge via USB, in my case, the VHF, an InReach, a point & shoot camera and an iPhone to talk to the InReach and the camera.

I have a Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel to go with a Goal Zero Venture 30 battery. VHF is an ICom IC-M25 (waterproof, floats, etc).
    Alex

"“He was unfamiliar with the sea and did not like it much: it was a place that made you cold and wet and sick” " Nevil Shute, Trustee From the Toolroom

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Jim,

I have a Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel to go with a Goal Zero Venture 30 battery. VHF is an ICom IC-M25 (waterproof, floats, etc).
    Thanks Alex -

Your Goal Zero solution is considerably more robust than what I'm currently carrying. Added to my ever-growing list of desires. In the meantime, I'm still leaning toward electronics that offer alkaline battery backup. Think I'll hold off on the VHF radio for now - I may yet end up with better solar charging capabilities.

Jim

Looking over the spec sheet from my local supplier, the HX 210, HX 300 and M25 have USB chargers. Of those the HX 300 is the only one that is also alkaline ready. Normally this happens by having a separate alkaline tray. Most of the everglade challenge folks use alkaline backup with a panel available to charge alkaline batteries. However, you have to transmit a lot to run down batteries on these things. If you have solar already, you can find something like the goal zero alkaline charger to keep some batteries going.

VHF is not a place I would skimp. For the Small Reach Regatta here in Maine we require a VHF and recommend GPS, require charts. We had a case not long ago of two very experienced people drowning, one surviving on a trip where they got separated from their kayaks capsized in a white squall, VHF was fastened to the boats. Not saying that the VHF would have saved them but it didn't have a chance. We have also had some capsizes in thick fog. This year we have some guests coming from interior Canada and we will find spare VHF's to lend them as cell coverage is pretty spotty to not where we will be sailing.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    VHF is not a place I would skimp.
    OK - I'm convinced. Just ordered the HX300 with the optional battery tray. Still hoping to have a nice solar setup but the ability to use alkaline batteries seems to be a good idea in any case. BTW - the tray is expensive and most places sell the radio for the price of the M25, but I found the combination for $131 - pretty comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSkully View Post
    What, if anything, do you guys need to do to your boats to be better prepped for a 100 mile cruise?
    Next up on my list is a boarding ladder - since we'll be anchoring out. Started from Kent Tyson's version (from my thread http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...arlock-sockets):
    ladder2.jpg

but decided to cut it in half so it would store under the aft deck. And instead of hanging it from the oarlock socket, I'm hanging it from the sail track. We'll see if it works in a few weeks when I finally get Rumsey out of winter storage.
    r10.jpg

The real thing will be made from a couple thicknesses of 1/2 inch ply left over from my centerboard case. (Sorry about the sideways pic)

I'm seriously considering cheating on the boarding ladder and buying one, as I want it short enough to remain mounted inboard forward of the mast partner. It would be fastened to the gunwales and hang down inside the hull, then reached from over the gunwale (possibly via short lanyard), pulled up and over, then extended for use. The pivoting mounting brackets would require modification, possibly attached to the gunwales with SS bolts and wing nuts.

Probably something like this -

This is an interesting ladder design.

https://up-n-out.com/shop/category/hardsidetransom/

I'm running out of time so if my home made version doesn't work as intended, one of those two looks like a good (but expensive) solution.

Jim - actually the telescoping SS ladders are $40 for the 3-step and $60 for the 4-step, so not too expensive. The reason why I'm not mentioning rope / loose frame ladders is that many threads on the topic here have mentioned that they tend to float under the hull and can be too difficult for a tired / chilled average person to climb. But in a pinch they're certainly better than nothing!

Forty bucks isn't bad - definitely one to consider if the home job doesn't work out.

Got my Standard Horizon HX300 yesterday. Very nice, in my opinion. Well built, easy to use. No knobs, so you have to play with a couple of buttons to adjust volume and squelch, but not a problem at all. Would recommend it to anyone who needs to pick up a VHF radio before the event.

On the fun side, Marty Loken just posted on the Salish 100 Facebook group page about some of the plans for launching in staggered shifts, and referred to the entire group of boats as "the armada".

Here's my reply -

Oooh oooh! Brilliant! “Armada” is the perfect term, or better yet....

Remember you saw it here first, folks! That way Marty will know who to blame.
    Oh goody! Let's burn Washington too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Orr View Post
    Oh goody! Let's burn Washington too!
    No worries, it tends to burn itself every August and September nowadays...

No worries, it tends to burn itself every August and September nowadays...
    No no - the other one (again).

Regarding the Anchor Buddy, I have written a user's manual of sorts covering how we use the device. It is available on my blog here:
    http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com/20...hor-buddy.html