Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

Default Re: The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

Good advice, Thorne! I am a total rookie at dinghy camp-cruising. That's why I'm so glad we're discussing this in January. I'll definitely think about the Bomar hatch option. I have 6" deck plates into both air tanks already. I can definitely foresee some practice days off the coast of Camano Island in early June. Thanks for the great feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Tom -- re-read the title of this thread. ;-) As I said earlier, "I'm guessing that the limitations of shore access and camping spots may be a big issue for the S-100, and am planning on sleeping aboard my CY whenever possible." Some of these parks and other locations are set up for a fraction of the Salish 100 fleet, so we can expect some logistical issues. The organizers and sponsors are doing their best, so I'm sure it will be a wonderful event!
    Thorne,

I agree completely. I just find the differences between an organized event like this and my usual solo cruising experiences fascinating. I've done the Texas 200 a few times so I have nothing against this kind of event, but it sure is different--especially if they're expecting 100+ boats. Crazy (not in a bad way). I've been sailing the Great Lakes for 20 years and can still count on the thumbs of one hand the number of dinghies (wooden or not) I've seen out there cruising. And that one was mine. I did see a couple rowing a dog ashore in a wooden tender a couple years ago.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

The route image will be available on Salish 100 T-shirts, tote bags and hats. Check www.salish100.com in about two weeks, when we launch the cruise website, along with a Salish 100 Facebook page. Both will have links to items with the route map. - Marty

We'll start showcasing boats that have registered in about two weeks (Feb. 1), when the Salish 100 website and Facebook pages go live. - Marty

Quite a number of the 100 boats will be larger "motherships," or support boats--mostly bigger cruising sailboats that have volunteered to help assure that all of the small boats get to each daily destination. Most of the rest of the small craft will be in the sleep-aboard class, so tent campers will actually be in the minority. We expect a lot of smaller boats might raft to the larger ones, at least in certain locations. The small, cheap towable rafts discussed elsewhere will be a great addition for many of the Salish 100 boats, since--as has been pointed out--our volunteers will only be able to shuttle X number of crew members to shore, and back, at any given location. (Maybe especially because boats will be scattered widely just offshore in most places--not all in a tight cluster.) At this point, we're cutting off registration by additional tent-camping boats, due to campsite limitations along the route. - Marty

Thanks for the update Marty. I'll keep this thread updated with the current info as it comes out.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Cool Re: The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

Here's update #3 from Mary Loken, your fearless leader.

Here’s your third official update…

We’ve been stunned by the enthusiastic response to the small-boat cruise idea, and never expected 100+ sign-ups in such a short period of time. Boaters are coming from all over the Northwest to participate…and from as far away as Wisconsin, Florida, Texas and Pennsylvania. We’ve accepted spontaneous offers of help and participation from the South Sound Sailing Society, the Lewis-Clark Sailing Association, and other groups that have been in touch. The event will soon be the subject of features in Small Craft Advisor magazine; Three SheetsNorthwest; the TSCA’s national magazine, The Ash Breeze; and (we hope) a variety of Northwest boating magazines and social-media outlets, including 48 North and Northwest Yachting.

As of this week, in addition to the small boats that have registered, we have a fleet of at least a dozen larger “motherships" that’ll join in the cruise to provide support to the smaller boats (if needed), including transport of extra food and gear; towing if anyone has trouble reaching a daily destination; and general monitoring of the small-boat fleet as they make their way north from Olympia to Port Townsend.

The event is being organized by the Port Townsend Pocket Yachters; commercially sponsored by Duckworks Boat Builder’s Supply, and co-sponsored by the Northwest Maritime Center in Port Townsend, the Puget Sound chapter of TSCA—the Traditional Small Craft Association—the Artful Sailor shop in Port Townsend, Small Craft Advisor magazine, and Kingston Mercantile & Marine, our hosts for the overnight stay in Kingston.

Several participants have asked if there will be Salish 100 logo shirts, hats or other items. Yes! You can order T-shirts right now via Zazzle (pick your color, size and style), by going here:
    https://www.zazzle.com/salish_100_t_...82511343888581
    And if you’d like a Salish 100 canvas tote bag for some of your cruising gear, clothing or food items, check this link:
    https://www.zazzle.com/salish_100_to...19021447040276
    In the next few weeks our commercial sponsor, Duckworks Boat Builder’s Supply, will also offer embroidered Salish 100 caps—sure to be popular. Stay tuned: We’ll post a link and other details in Update #4.

At this point, with 100+ boats signed up, we might soon place additional applicants on a waiting list. While the event can accommodate a large number of boaters who are prepared to sleep aboard each night, we may already be tapped out on the number of boaters who need to tent-camp ashore. (Stay tuned—we’re still in the process of learning exactly who can sleep aboard, and who needs on-shore accommodations.) We should know where we stand in the next week…and we’ll distribute another update the minute we know we’ve hit the ceiling…or we have room for more.

Ben Sebens, RN

The current itinerary, loosely written in sand:

The Salish 100 cruising plan is to launch (or otherwise rendezvous) boats at Swantown Marina in Olympia the morning of Saturday, June 22, and begin cruising together by late morning. (Some folks who are coming from British Columbia, Oregon, Idaho or Montana will need to hit the road on Friday—or earlier—in order to be in place by early Saturday.)

Realizing that wind and/or general weather conditions might alter our daily goals and plans, here is the itinerary:

DAY ONE (Saturday, June 22) - Olympia waterfront to Hope Island Marine State Park (#1 on the above map), about 10 nautical miles. Like every other day of the SALISH 100, the plan will be to ride ebb currents northbound, arriving at each destination by late afternoon. Hope Island has tent-camping sites ashore, some mooring buoys offshore, and good anchoring spots for those sleeping aboard…especially along the southeastern shore, close to a trailhead that leads across the small island to the tent-camping area.

DAY TWO (Sunday, June 23) - Hope Island to Penrose Point State Park (#2 on the map), about 16 nautical miles. This will be one of the more interesting sailing routes, as the fleet heads east through Dana Passage with the current, rounding the southern tip of Hartstine Island, then the southern end of Key Peninsula before heading north through Drayton Passage and narrow Pitt Passage (next to McNeil Island) to enter Mayo Cove. Penrose Point State Park has mooring buoys, a totally protected anchorage, park dock many of our boats can tie to, and lots of campsites up the hill. There are restrooms with showers, and nice walking trails through the woods—altogether, one of our favorite marine state parks.

DAY THREE
    (Monday, June 24) - From Penrose, we’re heading north through the Tacoma Narrows to Gig Harbor, about 15 nautical miles (#3 on the map). The smaller sailboats with shorter masts will get to The Narrows via Hale Passage, between Fox Island and the mainland shore, passing under the 30-foot-clearance bridge. Bigger sailboats will want to round the south side of Fox Island as they approach The Narrows. Once in Gig Harbor, we’ll head for the far end of the bay, anchoring near the historic Gig Harbor Boatshop, whose staff will give us the best kind of welcome: Allowing at least eight of our skippers to sleep aboard the boatshop’s historic salmon seiner VETERAN (8 berths aboard, plus lots of deck space); or sleep inside the boatshop.
    Shop tours will be offered to our group that afternoon/evening, and the boatshop’s electric launches will help shuttle small-boat crewmembers to and from shore, as needed. Finally, SALISH 100 boats will be invited to raft alongside VETERAN if, as expected, the 1927-built seiner is anchored just offshore from the Gig Harbor Boatshop. In addition to the option of overnighting near the boatshop, we can personally recommend (maybe especially for larger support boats in our fleet), the terrific Gig Harbor Public Pier (halfway into the harbor on the south shore) which offers moorage with electric power and water at $1.00 per foot during summer months, and only .50 cents per foot during the off-season.

DAY FOUR
    (Tuesday, June 25) - Gig Harbor to Blake Island Marine State Park (#4 on the map), about 16 nautical miles up Colvos Passage, between Vashon Island and the mainland. One of the great things about Colvos is that the current is always flowing northbound, regardless of what the tide’s doing. (We’re not talking about a fast current, but anything helps.) Blake Island Marine State Park is one of the premier state-park destinations for boaters, with lots of tent-camping sites,
    a small marina with moorage, restrooms, showers and lots of hiking trails that circle the island. Beach-campers will want to anchor just offshore or drag their boats onto the soft beach along the western shore of Blake Island, close to the northwestern tip (far right-hand side of the photo above). Boats seeking moorage slips will head for the breakwater-protected marina, at the northeastern tip of the island (bottom of the above photo).

DAY FIVE (Wednesday, June 26) - Blake Island north up central Puget Sound past Bainbridge Island to the Port of Kingston marina (#5 on the map), about 14 nautical miles. This leg will be the first where boaters are exposed to—and need to stay out of—the major north-south shipping lanes used by containerships, tugs pushing or towing barges, and of course state ferries that cross our planned route along the Bainbridge Island shore, across the entrance to Port Madison, around Point Jefferson and President Point and into Appletree Cove and Kingston Marina. We are so fortunate to have co-sponsorship of the Salish 100 by Kingston Mercantile & Marine, which will host our tent campers on a huge waterfront lawn—a short distance south of the marina—including a bathroom, picnic tables and a soft beach. (Tent campers who wish to anchor out will be shuttled to shore, and back, by volunteers in our fleet.) Many of the bigger Salish 100 boats will seek guest-moorage slips in nearby Kingston Marina, which offers nice bathrooms and showers…with lots of cafes, taverns and markets a short distance from the marina.

DAY SIX (Thursday, June 27) - Kingston to Mats Mats Bay (#6 on the map), about 16 nautical miles. This could be our most exciting day on the water—or just another easy passage—since we’ll be cruising north along the mainland shore around Apple Cove Point, then Point No Point and Foulweather Bluff on our way to little Mats Mats Bay…one of our favorite total-protection anchorages. During the first stretch, from Kingston to Point No Point, we’ll ride the ebb current northbound and plan to round Point No Point and Foulweather Bluff in calm conditions…and close to slack current. This area can be nasty if, for instance, you try to round Point No Point with a fast ebb current but against a strong northerly wind…or vice versa (against a strong current but with the wind). But not to worry….we’ll stick close to shore as we round the point, and probably follow the shoreline closely between Point No Point and Foulweather Bluff, to avoid any serious riptide action that’s usually farther offshore. The entrance to Mats Mats Bay can be hard to spot from outside, so a few of our larger support boats will stand by to serve as channel markers. It’s a wonderful, rocky and narrow (but totally safe) entrance, and once inside, Mats Mats Bay opens up and provides a nice, soft bottom for anchoring. We have two friends with waterfront homes along the eastern shore of Mats Mats Bay; both have offered their nice lawns for our tent campers, along with some (limited) dock space. Most of us will anchor out on our own hooks, with some small boats rafting alongside motherships. Look for shoreside barbecue opportunities here…for those who are interested.

FINAL DAY (Friday, June 28) - Mats Mats Bay to Port Townsend, about 13 nautical miles. Completing the 100-mile cruise, boaters will sail, row, paddle and/or motor north through Oak Bay, run with the northbound current through narrow Port Townsend Canal (bridge height 58 feet), and continue through Port Townsend Bay to the PT waterfront. Small boats that can be beached may want to end their voyages at the Northwest Maritime Center, next to Point Hudson Marina, where boats can be dragged up on the soft gravel beach. Larger trailer boats might seek guest moorage at the Boat Haven Marina, site of the town’s largest launch ramp, while volunteers shuttle skippers down to Olympia to retrieve their tow rigs and empty boat trailers. Depending on when SALISH 100 boats make it to Port Townsend (early afternoon, late afternoon, or early event), we may have a series of shuttle runs that head south to Olympia. Another option some boaters might wish to pursue, ahead of the SALISH 100 start, is to have friends, partners or spouses drive tow rigs and empty trailers north from Olympia to Port Townsend just before the cruise begins…parking them in downtown Port Townsend to await the arrival of skippers. More on this option, along with Olympia parking, a bit later.

So, there’s your basic outline.

Ben Sebens, RN

And the details:

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO PLAN TO PARTICIPATE (if you haven’t already submitted the information), we need the following details to complete your registration process. Please email the following information directly to me, Marty Loken, at Norseboater22@gmail.com

1. Your name and city or town

2. Basic description of your boat (builder, model, length)

3. Photo of your boat, to be added to our soon-to-launch Salish 100 website. Just email a JPEG image of the boat, ideally in the water…but really anything that shows others what your craft looks like.

4. Are you sleeping aboard, or do you need to sleep ashore?

5. Assuming you have a sailboat, what's your form of auxiliary power? (Outboard motor, inboard motor, oars, or…?)

6. If you’re not bringing a sailboat, are you aboard a powerboat, or rowing, or paddling, or?

7. Can you accommodate a guest passenger? (We’re not trying to apply pressure with the question, but we have a number of folks without boats who would like to participate as crew members in the SALISH 100, including members of the media, videographers and still photographers.)

Again, please send information and photos to Norseboater22@gmail.com as soon as possible--definitely before the end of January.

Many thanks to everyone who has signed up, or indicated they might like to participate in what promises to be an amazing small-boat cruise.

- Marty Loken, event organizer / Port Townsend Pocket Yachters

Ben Sebens, RN

Thanks for doing that, Ben! This update made me get a little misty-eyed the other day when it popped up on my phone while I was cooking dinner. Thanks Marty! I'm currently running charters in the USVI on our Tartan 37 and ironically, I'm seriously missing my 12' Passagemaker back home. It's currently hanging from the rafters in the garage (aka boat building shop) above my Jeep Wrangler.

I thought of another thing that I may need to install, a thru-hull drain (see pic below). I'm in the middle of watching that new movie about Donald Crowhurst, so please forgive my morbidity. My Hobies all had "Hobie Bobs" on the top of the mast to provide flotation at the extreme end of the mast to keep the boat from turtling. I may devise some sort of closed cell foam thing to attach to the top of the mast to mimic that, but there's not much room above the sheave for attachment. Hmmm... On my lug-rigged pram, it's easy to unstep the mast for righting, but not so easy with this stayed rig. Thoughts? It only takes a few pounds of flotation on a 12' mast to provide decent righting moment. There are two sizes, one for the Wave and one for the Getaway. The Wave one looks perfect. It's also rotomolded plastic, so pretty bullet-proof.

When living aboard, I'm used to eating one-pot meals (somewhere between Ramen noodles and MREs). What camping stove to you guys recommend? I have a butane powered one, so maybe I'll just stick with that for the few nights we're evidently not doing BBQ's on the beach...

It may be too early to ask this, but what safety equipment is "required" to participate. I have a hydrostatic PFD and a handheld VHF. I may bring my PLB home from the Caribbean, but with 100 boats, I can't see me getting out of earshot of someone.

BTW, I'm seriously looking forward to a Facebook group and official website and possibly a dedicated forum. Otherwise, I'm happy to stay here.

thru_hull_drain.jpg

Hobie_Bob.jpg

Can't imagine you'll need the mast float on this trip. With all your gear in sealed bags, the boat shouldn't turn turtle unless you remove the gear and/or pull the mast. This trip had better not include that type of dinghy-racing recovery process! ;-)

As for the drain, I'm a fan of putting it in the bow rather than the traditional location at the stern, as this allows you to drain it on the trailer by either cranking or folding up the rolling jack. Depending on where you install it you may have to add a piece of ply to get the required thickness. I like the silicon bronze garboard drains as they don't require much thickness, but I also carry replacement plugs (PVC ones fit fine) and cut a slot in the top of the plug so it can be opened with a coin or knife back.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

That's great info, Thorne! BTW, my son saw your avatar is very excited to meet you in Port Townsend... Not sure if I want to wait until the boat is on the trailer to drain it, but that's a very interesting concept. My initial thought was that it's easy to lift the pointy end and let the water drain out the stern quarter. One reason I like my drain is that the plug is captive and also has a grommet. The fact that yours intrudes very little into the cockpit is a pretty big selling point. I may get your version in stainless, just to stay with my theme...

That's two or three times the logistics. How do you determine who starts when? Way too complicated. It'll be crowded, but it'll be fun. The idea is to have a good time, and its not a race.

Ben Sebens, RN

I'm happy to leave all that to the organizers and sponsors. If, after they run the event one or more times, they decide to enlarge or expand it, great! I'm just happy to have something like this take place here on the Left Coast, after years of drooling over the various RAIDs and wooden boat cruises elsewhere...
    Last edited by Thorne; 01-22-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    I'm happy to leave all that to the organizers and sponsors. If, after they run the event one or more times, they decide to enlarge or expand it, great! I'm just happy to have something like this take place here on the Left Coast, after years of drooling over the various RAIDs and wooden boat cruises elsewhere...
    We need a RAID of this scale in N. CA. No, I don't have the time to organize it...

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    We need a RAID of this scale in N. CA. No, I don't have the time to organize it...

I think the San Francisco 60 would make a great long weekend type event. 4 or 5 days, from San Jose to the north end somewhere... tons of fun. Or maybe the Tahoe 20.

Someone get on that.

Edit to add more craziness:

Its about a hundred miles from Astoria to Portland. The Columbia Century Raid! Its a great idea! Lets get Graybeal to organize it.
    Last edited by BBSebens; 01-22-2019 at 06:09 PM. Reason: craziness

Ben Sebens, RN

Well, there's this:

The next North Carolina Challenge is Thursday, June 21, 2018. There are two concurrent events, the roughly 300 mile BlackBeard Challenge (BBC) and the roughly 90 mile Challenge (NCC). Both events finish at the same time, but they start at different times. Be sure you check the schedule for the correct event! There is a mandatory equipment inspection and captains meeting the day before on Wednesday, June 20, 2018. Refer to the schedule for time/date specifics.
    http://watertribe.com/Events/NorthCa...e/Default.aspx

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I helped organize an event a while back where we all circumnavigated Alameda on our Lasers. Great fun. One day. BBQ at Encinal YC to help recover from hypothermia. Plenty of antifreeze in the blood stream afterwards. Had to play the ebbs and floods just right, time the drawbridge, etc. Good times...

I've also done the Sharkbite Regatta on a Hobie and the Three Bridge Fiasco. I've also done the Bullship in an El Toro and the Delta Ditch Run on a Hobie. Lots of great events in NorCal.

We do have a camp cruise on the Delta in June, but it's around a dozen boats not 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Bjorklund View Post
    Speaking of Anchor Buddies a while back, anybody know the O.D. and I.D. of the latex "surgical" tubing they use?

I'd like to make up an elastic about twice as long as the 14'-50' Anchor Buddy. If rigged naked in parallel to my anchor line it should get the boat about 70' off the beach.
    Just measured mine, looks like 3/8" OD x 1/4" ID for the latex tubing. The sheath is a very loose weave poly material (probably polypro by the slick feel), a person could find a more abrasion resistant sheath material (like nylon webbing) and make a better stretch anchor line at any length desired.

Just measured mine, looks like 3/8" OD x 1/4" ID for the latex tubing. The sheath is a very loose weave poly material (probably polypro by the slick feel), a person could find a more abrasion resistant sheath material (like nylon webbing) and make a better stretch anchor line at any length desired.
    Possibly, although you can buy two of the 50' ones for a total of $65 on Amazon. Biggest issue would be sideways drift with that long of an elastic line. Might be OK in an empty anchorage as long as there weren't any rocks within range. So two Anchor Buddies might be best, as you could unclip one to shorten the wandering with the wind effects.

A couple of thoughts.

This is gonna be a great event. It might (OK will) be a cluster from time to time. 60-80 boats all trying out their new anchor buddies at Hope Island should make for some pretty spectacular entertainment. But seeing all those little boats making their way north should be pretty special. I personally am not enamored with large groups, however this event makes a statement. It says via a bunch of wee sails that y'all don't need a behemoth that uses tons of petroleum to navigate these same waters. That makes me smile. And I can't wait.

For those who've never used an Anchor Buddy, it's a great piece of equipment for a light boat. It does have two ****ty pieces of hardware that should rightfully make the nervous mariner nervouser, but with cautious use in moderate anchoring conditions they're pretty bomber.

Speaking of Anchor Buddies a while back, anybody know the O.D. and I.D. of the latex "surgical" tubing they use?

I'd like to make up an elastic about twice as long as the 14'-50' Anchor Buddy. If rigged naked in parallel to my anchor line it should get the boat about 70' off the beach.
    https://greenfieldproducts.com/chain...e/anchor-buddy

Quick search shows that the stretch comes from bungee, not surgical tubing (which I guess you could use). I think primarily because they stitch the polypropylene to the bungee. I don't think surgical tubing handles being stitched very well. I usually use a knot or a crimp of some sort.
    Last edited by CaptainSkully; 01-23-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSkully View Post
    I've also done the Sharkbite Regatta on a Hobie and the Three Bridge Fiasco. I've also done the Bullship in an El Toro and the Delta Ditch Run on a Hobie. Lots of great events in NorCal.
    There are a lot of great sailing events in Northern California. Add the South Tower Race (Stockton to Blackhaller and return) to the list. Of course, most of these events are not for small, home-built wooden boats. Sure, the Bullship is for El Toros, but it is a one-design race only for El Toros. The Three Bridge Fiasco (a fun event!), Delta Ditch Run and the South Tower Race require PHRFs and so exclude the types of boats most likely to participate in the Salish 100.

The Lake Washington Sailing Club runs a one day race the for small boats. The Dinghy Delta Ditch - although I'm not sure any small, home-built wooden boats have participated. The 30-mile (+/-) course is from Rio Vista to Sacramento via the deep water shipping channel. When I was living in Sacramento and building my GIS, I looked forward to sailing this race. Life took me elsewhere but the Dinghy Delta Ditch is on my bucket list. The question is, GIS or Pathfinder...?

The races are fine, I do some of the one day rowing races on SF Bay, but the Salish 100 is more of RAID, a cruise in company. That's more my speed these days...

Marty has created the Salish 100 Facebook group - yay! https://www.facebook.com/groups/285180382147515/

As Rick says above, the races / regattas can be fun but I vastly prefer boating in company. The last large one here was the 2008 Delta Gunkholing trip, with the Alma and Telco tug as motherships from the SF Maritime facility.
    Last edited by Thorne; 01-27-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Activity on the Facebook page is very useful and informative. This point was just clarified, and wasn’t something I was aware of:

from Marty

“There are some other ramps in the lower part of South Sound, but trailer parking at alternative ramps is the big issue. Most South Sound ramps permit only daytime trailer parking--no overnight stays--so Swantown Marina in Olympia has become our go-to choice. (If other members have better information, or creative ideas, please speak up). But one thing we'll be encouraging many SALISH 100 participants to do, as we get closer to the event, is to figure out with help from friends or relatives how to get your boat in the water in Olympia on Friday, June 21, and arrange to drive your tow vehicle and empty trailer up to Port Townsend...where we'll be able to arrange week-long trailer storage...then get yourself back to the boat either Friday night or early Saturday for the start of the cruise. So, basically, you just need to find someone who'll drive you from Port Townsend back to Olympia, using their vehicle. Besides helping reduce gridlock at the Olympia ramp Saturday morning, you'l have your tow vehicle and trailer right there in PT when you finish the cruise...avoiding the need to be shuttled back to Olympia at the end of the cruise.) - Marty Loken”
    Last edited by BBSebens; 01-28-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    Activity on the Facebook page is very useful and informative. This point was just clarified, and wasn’t something I was aware of:

from Marty

“There are some other ramps in the lower part of South Sound, but trailer parking at alternative ramps is the big issue. Most South Sound ramps permit only daytime trailer parking--no overnight stays--so Swantown Marina in Olympia has become our go-to choice. (If other members have better information, or creative ideas, please speak up). But one thing we'll be encouraging many SALISH 100 participants to do, as we get closer to the event, is to figure out with help from friends or relatives how to get your boat in the water in Olympia on Friday, June 21, and arrange to drive your tow vehicle and empty trailer up to Port Townsend...where we'll be able to arrange week-long trailer storage...then get yourself back to the boat either Friday night or early Saturday for the start of the cruise. So, basically, you just need to find someone who'll drive you from Port Townsend back to Olympia, using their vehicle. Besides helping reduce gridlock at the Olympia ramp Saturday morning, you'l have your tow vehicle and trailer right there in PT when you finish the cruise...avoiding the need to be shuttled back to Olympia at the end of the cruise.) - Marty Loken”
    With 100 boats and this kind of big event, it might make sense to charter a couple of buses to get people back to Olympia. That's how the Texas 200 manages it, and it works well.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

This all sounds good, and I'm glad to hear about how the T200 organizers deal with the car & trailer shuttle issue. And I KNOW that Marty and friends have this all planned out - they've got many decades of experience in organizing boating events.

I've got friends in PT where I can leave my rig and trailer, but will have to get a ride or taxi to pick them up as they are out in the sticks.

Just as an exercise and to see what the organizers are dealing with, as I see it there are three main logistical challenges regarding the boats and vehicles:

1. Mooring and/or docks to store the boats launched before the event in Olympia, possibly for several days. This doesn't need to be at Swantown, the "launch marina", but does need to be within several hours travel time on the water -- like nearby Fiddlehead, Martin and West Bay marinas, or even Boston Harbor marina which is 4-5 miles north on the way to our first stop.

2. Storage of tow rigs and trailers in PT. Luckily PT is used to an influx of boats and trailers for events like the Wooden Boat Festival.

3. A bus or several rental vans to carry folks back to Olympia from PT before the event, and the same to shuttle those who stored their rigs in and around Olympia back from PT after the event. This can be easily done with regular passenger cars but that involves more time, bridge tolls and planning. If we want to do it ourselves we can rent 15-passenger vans for around $150/day
    Last edited by Thorne; 01-29-2019 at 08:31 AM.

And then, with everyone on the water, it's hard for me to envision 100+ boats converging on tiny Hope Island to spend the night. With 15' tides.
    Is there another Hope Island? The only one I'm aware of is way North of PT. Also, 15' tides? This isn't the Bay of Fundy. I'm looking at the tide charts during the event and it looks like less than 6' tidal range that week.

EDIT: Ok, found it. Sorry.
    Last edited by CaptainSkully; 01-29-2019 at 02:35 PM.

There's a "Hope Island Marine State Park" in the South Sound near Arcadia and then there's "Hope Island State Park" east of Deception Pass. I've had the same confusing conversation at least six times with my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSkully View Post
    Is there another Hope Island?
    As a frequent visitor to the Hope Island near Olympia, I've often asked the same question about the one to the north.

And IMHO, the one to the south is the best. Just sayin'

-Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

50 years after Woodstock:

"The magic will happen among the boaters themselves--not because of any tricks I'm performing. We know folks will do everything they can to help one another--whether it's a tow over the last few miles to get someone to the night's destination, or the offering of an extra berth aboard one of the larger support boats...or sharing campsites to the max so that everyone (who absolutely needs to) can camp ashore...or in so many other ways." -- Marty Loken, 2019

"It was really something, that people could be so good to each other. Even if it was only for three days. All those people being good to each other for three whole days. Fantastic. (Laughter)" -- Joni Mitchell, 1969

I came upon a child of god
    He was walking along the road
    And I asked him where are you going
    And this he told me
    I am going down to Swantown
    I'm going to join in a straggly band
    I'm going to camp out on the Sound
    I'm going to try an' get my soul free

We are stardust
    We are golden
    And we've got to get ourselves
    Back to the garden

Then can I sail beside you
    I have come here to lose the smog
    And I feel to be a cog in something turning
    Well maybe it is just the time of year
    Or maybe it's the time of man
    I don't know who I am
    But you know life is for learning

We make sawdust
    We are older
    And we've got to get our tails
    Out of the harbor

By the time we got to Salishstock
    We were a couple hundred strong
    And everywhere there was song and celebration
    And I dreamed I saw the Motherships
    Riding shotgun on the Sound
    And they were turning into butterflies
    Above our nation

We are stardust
    Billion year old carbon
    We are golden
    Caught in the devil's bargain
    And we've got to get ourselves
    Back to the garden

-- Joni Mitchell ... mainly
    Last edited by Anders Bjorklund; 02-07-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Butterflies, eh? Dali had that one visualized long ago...