Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456 LastLast

Thread: The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

Default Re: The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Jim,

From personal experience, a small solar panel + companion battery will work just fine in the summer here in the Salish Sea and even up the Inside Passage where there is less sun, on average.

You'll get enough sunny days to charge the battery to tide you over the non-sunny days, to charge via USB, in my case, the VHF, an InReach, a point & shoot camera and an iPhone to talk to the InReach and the camera.

I have a Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel to go with a Goal Zero Venture 30 battery. VHF is an ICom IC-M25 (waterproof, floats, etc).
    Now thinking that I may go this route. Any further thoughts on this combination? Any other suggestions?

After trying my ACW-style canvas A-frame tent in the boat, I decided that anything sticking 7 feet above the gunwales was gonna be more of a sail than a shelter, so went back to the drawing board.

My current Cunning Plan™ is to set up a cheap little dome tent with the bottom cut out for sleeping and privacy, and use a coated nylon hammock rainfly to cover the dome tent and more of the cockpit / center of the boat. Tent would need to be secured to the thwarts, side benches and gunwales if it is windy, but should keep any blowing mist off my bed and gear. Testing this weekend to see how it works...stay tuned!

What you can't see is the sleeping platform on the starboard side under the tent, made from mahogany slats from a free futon frame, and linked together with old nylon ratchet strap material screwed to the underside of each slat.

Last edited by Thorne; 05-23-2019 at 12:24 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Thought I'd have time to build some sort of sleek form-fitting tent for Rumsey, but that didn't happen. I'll continue to use a backpacking tent - in my case an REI Arete ASL 2, which happens to fit the size and shape of the sleeping platform on Rumsey perfectly. I've always intended to cut out the bottom for access to storage below, but haven't yet. We still use the tent on land, so having the floor intact is nice.
    RumseyTent2.jpg

This photo also shows my oarlock socket mounted storage system for oars and the mainsail when using the tent, and a rope strung between the masts to give me something to hold on to when going forward.

I'm using the rain fly for the tent, which nicely covers the cockpit (sitting room only).
    RumseyTent.jpg

We haven't camped in strong winds, so I don't know how much of a sail this tent will be. I know several others on the Forum have purpose-built tents that are likely much more appropriate for long-term cruising.

Nice setup, Jim! My el cheapo dome tent sells for $17, so I could buy about 23 of them for the price of your lovely high-quality mountaineering masterpice. Before this I've always had high-quality tents, and used to work for Early Winters in Seattle when they made the best tent ever, the "Omnipotent"...

I've ordered some nylon pad eyes and will install them under the Goblin's gunwale as attachment points for the guy lines for the hammock rain fly -- that may make it fit better and flap less in winds -- we shall see how that works out.

On the electric issue, I'll go with two external batteries, one a lead-acid motorcycle battery in a sealed box, the other a Lithium-ion battery designed for jump-starting cars with several USB ports and the power port (aka cigarette lighter base). These will provide LED light and iPhone charging. The Cobra MRHH350FLT Floating VHF Radio has the usual inconvenient proprietary charging system, but its Lithium poly battery can be charged via a power point plug from either external battery.

The sealed lead-acid motorcycle battery setup was built by hand - the small battery box has a power point port (aka cigarette lighter), a dual USB port with LED readout, and a rocker switch to turn off the USB port.
    Last edited by Thorne; 05-23-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    used to work for Early Winters in Seattle when they made the best tent ever, the "Omnipotent"...
    I had to look that one up. Found one for sale for $495. Nice looking tent.
    Omnipotent-side-back-exteri.jpg

I tried using our LI jump starter to charge our phone and one charge drained it. Surprised me. Seems maybe that the jump starters are made for a quick power surge, but not for long-term charging?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Bergen View Post
    Regarding the Anchor Buddy, I have written a user's manual of sorts covering how we use the device. It is available on my blog here:
    http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com/20...hor-buddy.html
    Nice blog, Joel.

To avoid the rush I've pushed my launch date forward to Thursday the 20th, and have a 23' space on the guest dock at Swantown through Sat am. So I'll be looking for a ride back to Swantown either Thurs night or Friday morning -- I have friends out in the country near PT where I'll leave my rig and trailer and can spend the night if necessary. If there are any other Thursday launchers, we can see about getting transport organized, either renting or ?.

As I've said before, I have total faith in the organizers and won't try to double-guess them -- they know what they are doing! But I'd like to help out by simplifying the logistics of the event however I can, and this is one way to do it.
    Last edited by Thorne; 05-31-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Here's Marty's post from Monday. It looks like Henderson Inlet is the recommended alternative to Hope Island, but no tent camping spaces available (yet) -
    ----------------------------
    Marty Loken

MONDAY EVENING UPDATE - I just returned from our pivotal meeting with State Park officials in their Olympia-area headquarters. We sincerely appreciated their efforts to help accommodate our large fleet, and I can report that we are solidly "On" for Group Campsites on Sunday evening, June 23, at Penrose Point State Park, and Tuesday, June 25, at Blake Island State Park.

The idea of any Salish 100 boater tent-camping Saturday, June 22, at Hope Island State Park is TOTALLY OFF, since Hope Island has only 8 tent campsites; the little park does not take reservations, and by the time we get there South Sound-area sea kayakers will absolutely have occupied every available campsite. (Also, for a group our size to occupy Hope Island--maybe far more than the 8 normal campsites--we'd have to have an approved Special Activity Permit, which can take months to approve and must be submitted not less than 60 days prior to any special event. So, maybe next year, but Hope Island is out for the first Salish 100.)

We're making calls and sending emails to a lot of different parties this evening and tomorrow, but the question of where Salish 100 tent campers can stay overnight on the first night of the cruise remains unanswered as of tonight, so if any of you have thoughts, please share!
    Because most of our boats will not be in the water until Saturday, June 22...or at least ready to cruise before then...we need to either find ways to host the tent-camping small-boat skippers aboard larger boats in our fleet Saturday evening, and/or find a different destination somewhere between Olympia and Penrose Point State Park on Saturday. (We can't go straight from Olympia to Penrose on Saturday, since the Group Campsite is reserved for Sunday and not available Saturday anyway...and Penrose is 20 nautical miles from Olympia...too great a distance for a single leg of our cruise.)

We still plan to recommend Henderson Inlet as the ideal halfway-to-Penrose destination for Day One, but unless we find a waterfront homeowner or two in Henderson Inlet willing to host some tent campers, we'll have to ask all sleep-ashore boaters to spend one uncomfortable night on their small boats--or find larger boats willing to host them Saturday night. Or both, most likely.

So, overall today's meeting produced very good news, since our fear going into the meeting was that State Parks might require Special Activity permits for our stays at any/all State Parks.
    Tomorrow I'll email everyone on the Salish 100 contact list with a detailed report, and some additional participant questions that'll need to be answered between now and start of the cruise. - Marty Loken

OK, I think I'm just about ready to go -

I sewed a new sail, made new oars, fiberglassed the bottom of my skiff, rigged a bungee to hold the tiller and sheet for a little hands-free sailing maybe, made a nifty rowing seat/stowage box, bought my first-ever anchor, even rigged up a boom tent, but I hope I'll not need it (no rain, no need for a tent).
    'Bout the last detail is figuring out where the heck to fit in a porta-potty...

I'm coming from Portland Oregon and wondering what the options are for leaving car and trailier in port townsend for the week of the event. what are others planning?

I'm gonna store my tow rig at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. Let 'em know if you're gonna do likewise:

"$10 a day. 360 385 1013- Sue there would appreciate a call so they have a count. 4907 Landes St."

Send me an email and I'll put you in touch with people who have offered rides from PT to Olympia Thursday or Friday.

jkohnen@boat-links.com

Quote Originally Posted by lstapper View Post
    I'm coming from Portland Oregon and wondering what the options are for leaving car and trailier in port townsend for the week of the event. what are others planning?

looking forward to check out all your boats going through Pitt Passage and later on at Penrose state park !!!
    "Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    " Fela " 1985 Glen L15 - 1977 Johnson 15 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Quote Originally Posted by Etdbob View Post
    OK, I think I'm just about ready to go -

I sewed a new sail, made new oars, fiberglassed the bottom of my skiff, rigged a bungee to hold the tiller and sheet for a little hands-free sailing maybe, made a nifty rowing seat/stowage box, bought my first-ever anchor, even rigged up a boom tent, but I hope I'll not need it (no rain, no need for a tent).
    'Bout the last detail is figuring out where the heck to fit in a porta-potty...

Setting up the tent will prevent dew on your gear, and keep out a chilly breeze.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Dew can make one AMAZINGLY wet.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

My suggestion is that all S100 participants should be checking the FB page, as lots of new info is being posted there first.

FYI it seems we can park our tow rigs at a school on the outskirts of PT for free, not sure of the date range for this option.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2851...=group_comment
    Last edited by Thorne; 06-17-2019 at 04:26 PM.

I like "free". But why do we have to go to F******k to learn these things? I don't like criticizing Marty, but communication to registered participants about the Salish 100 has been abysmal. <sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    My suggestion is that all S100 participants should be checking the FB page, as lots of new info is being posted there first. FYI it seems we can park our tow rigs at a school on the outskirts of PT for free.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2851...=group_comment

OK, I put on nitrile gloves, opened a browser I seldom use, held my nose and went to F******k. I did a search for "school", "parking". and "tow" and couldn't find anything about parking tow rigs at a school near Port Townsend. Then I cleared all the browser cookies, closed it, and threw away the gloves. I hope I don't have to pour bleach on my computer to get rid of all traces of my visit...

Can you enlighten us about the free parking, Thorne?

Posted by Marty, June 11 at 9:39 AM

FREE TRAILER PARKING IN PORT TOWNSEND - Earlier in this space, Salish 100 cruiser Lawrence Winiarski mentioned that the Port Townsend School District had offered use of the large parking lot at Blue Heron Middle School in PT. I've been corresponding with the school district's Facilities and Maintenance person, Debi Munro, and we can double-confirm that all Salish 100 participants who wish to shuttle their empty boat trailers and tow rigs up to Port Townsend after launching bo...ats in Olympia, can park all week for free at Blue Heron Middle School, at 3939 San Juan Avenue, Port Townsend 98368. NOTE: Blue Heron is NOT within walking distance of the PT waterfront, so boaters will need to take a Jefferson Transit bus from the main bus stop next to the Safeway store to the North Beach area...passing right by the middle school. (More details to follow on the exact bus route.)
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Wednesday morning I'm going to sail Haverchuck across to Bainbridge to witness the armada firsthand. I'll probably need stay in the relative safety of the shipping lanes as to not get plowed over by the northbound crush.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Thanks, Ben. That's near the Jefferson County Fairgrounds:

https://goo.gl/maps/eyEDVQBTPj8pi7na7

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Wednesday morning I'm going to sail Haverchuck across to Bainbridge to witness the armada firsthand. I'll probably need stay in the relative safety of the shipping lanes as to not get plowed over by the northbound crush.

Map image updated without permission, just to show the updated route as of 6-18-19.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Good thing I looked in , I would be up at Penrose having a private party.

So the second night isn't going to be at Penrose Park? Where are we gonna stop?

The second night is still at Penrose. The first night was changed from Hope Is. to Henderson Inlet because Hope Is. is too small to accommodate the fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kohnen View Post
    So the second night isn't going to be at Penrose Park? Where are we gonna stop?
    better check the fb page. a lot has changed it looks like

There's a hundred boats headed north. Follow the one in front of you. You won't all be in first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I will with Bingo, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I will with Bingo, Tim

Bruce,

Are you really doing the full cruise in Bingo? Wheeeeeee!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    better check the fb page. a lot has changed it looks like
    Some of us don't do F******k. Apparently the "public" pages on F******k aren't really public, too. If you aren't a logged in member you can't see the "comments", I don't know why they're different <shru, like the one mentioning free parking in Port Townsend.

If there's ever another Salish 100 Marty should get a helper to copy the important F******k posts to more accessible forums -- or just abandon the evil empire and move all discussion to someplace where we can all take part.

I just got a phone call from Dan from Almostcanada, who got into Olympia yesterday afternoon. He says, "the Clan is gathering" already. The Olympia Port people are being real nice and helpful to the voyagers. They've set aside an area away from the launch ramp for rigging boats, so launchings won't be delayed. Lazy Jack and Dr. Petra, along with me and Earl, hope to arrive tomorrow sometime not long after noon.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Bruce,

Are you really doing the full cruise in Bingo? Wheeeeeee!

Jeff
    no no , just smoking up the first few days, oly..gig ...

Marty Loken

[COLOR=var(--fds-gray-70)]Admin Yesterday at 9:21 AM

One of the problems with an active Facebook page like this is that postings quickly get buried as new ones pile on top. So, just to make sure everyone got the message, we are NOT GOING TO HOPE ISLAND the first evening, but rather Henderson Inlet...the next inlet to the east of Olympia's Budd Inlet. Tent campers will be welcomed at two adjoining waterfront homes at 5817 Swayne Drive NE, Olympia, where Salish 100 participants Dave Stewart and Samantha Richie live. Small tent-camping boats will not be able to approach Dave and Sam's dock until 6:30 p.m. Saturday, as the tide slowly comes back into the inlet and water reaches the end of the dock...so be prepared to raft out with other boats at anchor, or drop your own hook, assuming you get to Henderson Inlet earlier in the afternoon. You can find Dave and Sam's place by looking for a 35-foot trimaran on their beach, and a large salmon on the front face of their house. Marty Loken

[/COLOR]

18David Thorne Luckhardt, Andy J Mcconkey and 16 others

2 Comments

Comment

Thanks, Marty. If Google Maps can be trusted, the end of their dock is at 47.115706 N 122.828580 W. It's on the east side of the inlet just south of the tightest squeeze. Well into the green "dries out at low water" area on the chart. Here are the predictions for tides in Henderson Inlet, thanks to WXTide:

Saturday 2019-06-22
    Sunrise 5:15 AM PDT, Sunset 9:10 PM PDT
    Moonrise 12:22 AM PDT, Moonset 10:24 AM PDT
    Low Tide: 4:36 AM PDT 6.7
    High Tide: 8:46 AM PDT 10.4
    Low Tide: 3:56 PM PDT 0.1
    High Tide: 11:18 PM PDT 14.4

Sunday 2019-06-23
    Sunrise 5:16 AM PDT, Sunset 9:11 PM PDT
    Moonrise 12:48 AM PDT, Moonset 11:26 AM PDT
    Low Tide: 5:33 AM PDT 6.2
    High Tide: 9:48 AM PDT 9.7
    Low Tide: 4:41 PM PDT 1.2
    High Tide: 11:56 PM PDT 14.2

"One of the problems with an active Facebook page like this is that postings quickly get buried as new ones pile on top. So, just to make sure everyone got the message, we are NOT GOING TO HOPE ISLAND the first evening, but rather Henderson Inlet...the next inlet to the east of Olympia's Budd Inlet. Tent campers will be welcomed at two adjoining waterfront homes at 5817 Swayne Drive NE, Olympia, where Salish 100 participants Dave Stewart and Samantha Richie live. Small tent-camping boats will not be able to approach Dave and Sam's dock until 6:30 p.m. Saturday, as the tide slowly comes back into the inlet and water reaches the end of the dock...so be prepared to raft out with other boats at anchor, or drop your own hook, assuming you get to Henderson Inlet earlier in the afternoon. You can find Dave and Sam's place by looking for a 35-foot trimaran on their beach, and a large salmon on the front face of their house."