Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

Default The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

Duckworks and The Port Townsend Pocket Yachters have organized this loosely organized cruise of Puget Sound; starting in Olympia and ending in Port Townsend. Not strictly a wooden boat only event, but I'd wager most of the participants will be wood.

More info on the Duckworks and Pocket Yachters facebook pages.

From Marty Loken:

Below is a new, simplified guide map for the June 22-28, 2019 SALISH 100 Small-Boat Cruise, running the length of Puget Sound from Olympia to Port Townsend, Washington.

We've had an enthusiastic response and lots of sign-ups since announcing the event here recently, and we’ve added one stop to the itinerary: On the first day, because it might take awhile to get the entire fleet into the water and heading north, we’ve shortened Day One’s distance, now going from Olympia to Hope Island Marine State Park (#1), just south of Squaxin Island.

The following days we plan to overnight at the following destinations before reaching Port Townsend, at the northern entrance to Puget Sound:

Penrose Point State Park (#2)

Gig Harbor (#3)

Blake Island Marine State Park (#4)

Kingston Marina (#5)

Mats Mats Bay (#6)

…and then Port Townsend by the 28th.

Boaters will be shuttled back to Olympia after reaching Port Townsend, to get their tow rigs and empty boat trailers.

The event is being organized by the Port Townsend Pocket Yachters, and sponsored by Duckworks Magazine and Duckworks Boat Builders Supply.

If you’d like to sign up, or ask questions, email organizer Marty Loken at Norseboater22@gmail.com

The cruise will include several larger Motherships (including Pete Leenhouts' classic 47' RIPTIDE) that’ll provide general support, including tows to each day’s destination (if necessary). The route and schedule are being planned on the assumption of light sailing winds…so each day’s destinations should be easy for slower boats, rowers or others who tend to have lower cruising speeds. If we encounter days with stronger southerly winds, and if boaters prefer, we might leapfrog certain destinations and sail directly to the next stop. (So, in other words, the SALISH 100 is being planned as a week-long event, but it’s conceivable–depending on weather and the mix of boats participating–that the 100 water miles could be covered in, say, 5 or 6 days.)

Costs? As usual with Pocket Yachters events, there will be NO REGISTRATION FEES. Costs for individual boaters should be restricted to launching and parking of tow rigs and trailers at Swantown Marina in Olympia; fuel for kicker motors; any campsite or moorage fees incurred at state parks; food carried by cruisers or possibly purchased along the way; and ramp fees at Boat Haven Marina in Port Townsend, when boats are pulled out of the water at the end of the cruise. That's it!

Tent camping ashore will be an option almost every night, but we expect most SALISH 100 participants will sleep aboard their boats. Motherships will be able to carry any extra fuel or food items if smaller boats need that kind of "overload" assistance. And, of course, we'll employ the buddy system all the way, staying in touch with one another to be sure everyone arrives at each daily destination safely. If winds are too calm for sailing, we'll offer tows. If winds are too ferocious, we might experience "weather days," where we hunker down, drink coffee and wait for conditions to improve. Our main goal, as always, will be to have a great adventure together, with safety as a constant priority.

This will be a terrific small-boat cruise, most likely involving the usual variety of late-June weather; some strong currents running our direction in places; fantastic beach-camping locations for those who want to tent camp ashore; and everything from hidden back bays to bigger, open crossings in the company of others. And prizes will be awarded at the finish line for everyone who successfully completes the first-ever SALISH 100!
    Salish 100.jpg

I'm optimistically hoping to participate with Inconceivable.

Should be fun!
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Default Re: The Salish 100 - Olympia to Port Townsend, June 22-28, 2019

Where's that damn LOVE icon? You guys are killin' me -- I was hoping to keep working contracts for a few more years, but events like this one make it nearly impossible! Hope to make it up there next season.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Definitelly an incentive to speed up on my Glen L project !
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Where's that damn LOVE icon? You guys are killin' me -- I was hoping to keep working contracts for a few more years, but events like this one make it nearly impossible! Hope to make it up there next season.
    Damn, this is going to kill me too. I have to work a few more years as well, got to see if the business and my wife can cope with a couple weeks of very selfish indulgence on my part ....

How about a convoy heading north in June, Thorne?

Been wanting to haul Rumsey out from Montana for a dip in the saltwater - looks like this might be just the right opportunity to learn a bit about the Salish Sea in the company of others who can provide us a little much needed guidance. Much better than just heading out on our own - hope we can make it happen.

I enjoyed this trip when I did it with the Jihad back in the day. Of course we didn't use no stinkin' motors. And sometimes Eric took his pants off when he rowed. But still, good times, good times.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I hope to be home by then.
    The Lake Bay Marina ,a swim away from Penrose Park,stop #2, is a fun joint...with BEER !

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I hope to be home by then.
    The Lake Bay Marina ,a swim away from Penrose Park,stop #2, is a fun joint...with BEER !
    sooo.... see you there?

Ben Sebens, RN

I think we did that trip in September 2013 or so.

The jihad's agenda went as follows:
    Boston Harbor --> Gig Harbor, Drank beer at the Tides Tavern, anchored out
    Gig Harbor --> Winslow, More beer at the Harbor Public House, tied up to the city dock
    Winslow --> Kingston, Still even more beer at the Filling Station, tied up in the marina
    Kingston --> Mats Mats, Enjoyed beer procured at Hansville grocery, anchored out
    Mats Mats --> Mystery Bay, Drank the rest of the beer we got in Hansville, anchored out
    Mystery Bay --> PTWBF, Used our free beer tickets at the Main Beer Tent, tied up in Port Hudson.

I really enjoyed that run. We rowed a lot with sporadic bouts of peppy winds.

Due to tides we had to leave before sunrise pretty much every single morning. We'd ride the ebb for an hour or two after sunrise, then we'd siesta mid-day after having worked the eddies as far as we could. Late afternoon we'd have another shot at the ebb and continue north until the sun went down. The Salish Sea is a lovely place before the sun comes up.

Marty's trip looks like a good time. I look forward to seeing the photos.

I've been considering taking Haverchuck on a Ballard to Shelton and back trip. Or perhaps just a circum-Vashon trip. I can't remember ever rowing the Des Moines shore of East Passage.
    Last edited by Yeadon; 11-12-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I enjoyed this trip when I did it with the Jihad back in the day. Of course we didn't use no stinkin' motors. And sometimes Eric took his pants off when he rowed. But still, good times, good times.
    Marty's trip description says nothing about a pants requirement. My own rules relate mostly to chafing, or sunburn but that shouldn't be an issue...

I'm definitely interested. Just finished a Passagemaker with gunter-sloop rig for occasions like this. Plus a lot closer than the Texas 200 or the Everglades Challenge! Although, I may finish in time to attend the Wooden Boat Festival...

How about some advice to a guy new to cruising in this area - favorite books, charts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Montana View Post
    How about some advice to a guy new to cruising in this area - favorite books, charts?

The most helpful things are tide tables and a current atlas. The tidal flows can be significant, so its good to know where the currents will be.

Ben Sebens, RN

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Yes, current chart is very important for a sail n oar boat. Current does not always follow tide..they are cousins, not sisters.
    These days, a decent cell phone and some common sense is all you really need.

Any preferred books that talk about anchorages, coves, marinas, special spots, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Damn, this is going to kill me too. I have to work a few more years as well, got to see if the business and my wife can cope with a couple weeks of very selfish indulgence on my part ....

Dang! If I get divorced and quit my job by Spring can I join your caravan? I'm in Long Beach and can bring my wood Snipe or "frozen snot" '62 Pearson Electra...it's got pretty wood combing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Montana View Post
    Waggoner Guide is a useful read. On an event like this I'd imagine that the race boss will make most of the daily decisions. There are tons of bailout spots between Olympia and Port Townsend for little boats. Your longest unprotected run will be from Kingston to Mats Mats.

A proper chart, Navionics for your iPhone, and a copy of Captain Jacks, too.

I'm a fan of waterproof Maptech charts.
    Last edited by Yeadon; 11-16-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnipeGuy View Post
    Dang! If I get divorced and quit my job by Spring can I join your caravan? I'm in Long Beach and can bring my wood Snipe or "frozen snot" '62 Pearson Electra...it's got pretty wood combing!

The Pocket Yachters do not discriminate against any boat material. Your craft would be welcomed indeed. As for leaving your spouse and job... think long and hard on those decisions. But the idea of leaving California has merit.

Jeff

Is there a boom-tent in Emily-Ruth's future?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Is there a boom-tent in Emily-Ruth's future?

You could say that but keep in mind that "future" can be a long while. But I do admit that this cruise sounds appealing.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post

A convoy sounds good to me! Can't leave until Tues 6/18 most likely, as I'm doing the Vallejo Pirate Festival the previous weekend and need at least a day to recover and pack.

Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Waggoner Guide is a useful read. On an event like this I'd imagine that the race boss will make most of the daily decisions. There are tons of bailout spots between Olympia and Port Townsend for little boats. Your longest unprotected run will be from Kingston to Mats Mats.

A proper chart, Navionics for your iPhone, and a copy of Captain Jacks, too.

I'm a fan of waterproof Maptech charts.
    Thanks much. Initial trip out to Puget Sound with our boat - I won't be questioning any decisions made by the race boss. Looking for some good reading to get familiar with the area and mostly to get me through the long winter with the boat in the shop. Will also likely be building a "boom tent" (no boom on Rumsey) to supplement - or replace - the backpacking tent we now use for overnighting.

Jim - I found this book to be wonderful guide to the South Sound -- highly recommended!

I like this one, too: Gunkholing in South Puget Sound

https://www.amazon.com/Gunkholing-So.../dp/094425702X
    Elect a clown expect a circus

These two books are very useful. The graphic current charts are good forever, you just need to get a Capt'n Jack's for the right year to figure out when the water near you will be moving in which direction.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

This site shows current predictions in Puget Sound ... http://deepzoom.com/
    Last edited by Yeadon; 11-17-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Will that image of the route be available as a poster? That would be neat. The R2AK has one that I have purchased, and I really like it. When I last inquired with the 70/48 they did not.

These types of events are pretty neat, and while I have never participated in one they are great fun to follow.

When I first started my Salish Sea sail & oar trips I found all of Randel Washburn's kayaking books very useful.
    https://www.amazon.com/Randel-Washburne/e/B001HCV0C2/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1542479426&sr=8-2

I still carry this one in my "ship's library" ... I tend to skim it when waiting out weather, tide, etc.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...api_taft_p1_i2

Washington Water Trails is also a useful source of info for what we do.
    https://www.wwta.org/water-trails/ca...-marine-trail/
    https://www.wwta.org/cascadia-marine-trail-map/

I have an extremely tattered water trails book that I keep in my bag, but don't seem to see it on their website.
    Last edited by Yeadon; 11-17-2018 at 01:38 PM.

My winter reading list is filling out nicely . . .

Lots to learn about - tides, currents, big ships crossing. None of that here in Montana.

I love the Vallejo Pirate Festival! Yes, Waggoner's Cruiser's Guide is an excellent reference.

I just found this thread -

So who all is going? I signed up just about as soon as I saw the first announcement on the Duckworks web site.

I think I might have the smallest boat in the fleet at 11-1/2 feet!

SAM_6254.jpg

I was going to, but alas family commitments prevent me from doing so this year. Seems like a great trip! over 100 boats signed up!

Ben Sebens, RN

I'll be right behind you (literally) in my 12' Passagemaker!

I just got the email update from Marty and it's sounding epic. 100+ boats! You're going to be able to walk from Olympia to Port Townsend from boat to boat. We're being hosted at several places along the way with seaside BBQ's with some amazing sponsors! We even have t-shirts & hats available! Marty really knows how to throw a raid! All those guys doing the Everglades Challenge and the Texas 200 can eat their hearts out! I'm SUPER-JAZZED!

You're going to be able to walk from Olympia to Port Townsend from boat to boat.

I'm excited too, I've never before participated in anything like this. See ya there!

Speaking of the update, someone did the homework of figuring out which paper charts are needed:

P.S. - One of the registered Salish 100 boaters, Lawrence Winiarski of Oregon, shared his list of NOAA charts that cover the distance from Olympia to Port Townsend. For those of you who carry paper charts (in addition to navigating with electronic aids), here is Lawrence’s list of every chart you could possibly need:

Day 1 - Olympia - Hope Island

18456 Budd Inlet
    18457 Hope Island

Day 2 - Hope Island - Penrose Point

18457,18456,18448 S. Sound

Day 3 - Penrose Point - Gig Harbor

18448,18474,18453 (opt)

Day 4 - Gig Harbor - Blake Island

Day 5 - Blake Island - Kingston Marina

Day 6 - Kingston - Mats-Mats Bay

Day 7 - Mats-Mats Bay- Port Townsend

The Big Picture

18440 - Puget Sound overview
    18441 - N Sound overview

Ben Sebens, RN