Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn, I am so naive.

Default Damn, I am so naive.

Got one of these ads, even though I don't live in her district.
    At the time, I thought it was just stupid. Now, I learn that it's a signal, warning that the candidate is Jewish. Standard fare among Republicans.
    Is there no shame? (BTW she won.)
    https://www.jweekly.com/2018/11/06/g...emitic-tropes/
    Michigan seems like a dream to me now.

Default Re: Damn, I am so naive.

It would be idiotic not to realize that the imagery involving Jewish candidates, or candidates with Jewish connections, holding cash in their hands, is antisemitic.

The meaning of all this isn't lost on me. Around 1906, my ancestors immigrated to the US....

...and 112 years later, I see the video, from Charlottesville, with an angry torch-bearing mob chanting, 'Jews will not replace us.'

We're going backwards.... de-evolution?
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    It would be idiotic not to realize that the imagery involving Jewish candidates, or candidates with Jewish connections, holding cash in their hands, is antisemitic.

The meaning of all this isn't lost on me. Around 1906, my ancestors immigrated to the US....

...and 112 years later, I see the video, from Charlottesville, with an angry torch-bearing mob chanting, 'Jews will not replace us.'

We're going backwards.... de-evolution?
    Yes, we are. And until we pry the monied interests grasping hands away from the levers of power... until we reduce their champions - today's R's - to an afterthough... it will continue. The R's reversals in the House and some of the state houses helps a lot. But we need to keep up the effort... because greed never sleeps.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I don't feel idiotic. Had no idea that Dr. Schrier was Jewish until after the election and I read this article. For all I knew she was Presbyterian.
    Michigan seems like a dream to me now.

Then call me idiotic (others have). I have seen some of those ads, but, without the explanatory caption, I would never have made the connection.
    Maybe I need to get out more

What you're naive about are the partisans that actually constitute a threat to Jews. Europe continues to empty herself of them. They are not fleeing the Right wing.

Damn. This country is indeed regressing. Here in VT, our main Jewish candidate won with 67.4% of the vote. His Rep. challenger got 27.4%

Yes, that'd be Bernie.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    What you're naive about are the partisans that actually constitute a threat to Jews. Europe continues to empty herself of them. They are not fleeing the Right wing.
    Oh my. It's Corbin fever, right?

Democrats are not even required anymore to distance themselves from the openly anti-Semitic, as the recent comments from Minister Farrakhan have revealed.

But he did it too, so that makes it OK for me!

Didn't you learn that that complaint doesn't work back in kindergarten?

I'm sure Jews everywhere know that the greater danger is from the left.

Nice try, tho!

are you jealous of sobell?

if she weren't here today you'd be killing it with posts like this. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

What if we gave a war, and nobody came?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

The leaders of the Women's March have refused to renounce their ties to Farrakhan or condemn his recent rhetoric, leading to a split in that "movement."

The minister was also recently photographed sitting next to President Clinton at Aretha Franklin's funeral. Talk about normalizing hate. Oy.

Must be a relief to contrast that with the GOP's embrace of its' anti-Semites and misogynists.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

so bill clinton shouldn't have a attended aretha's funeral
    got it

The above photos of Democrat Presidents are the equivalent of Trump attending a funeral or sharing a laugh with the likes of David Duke (for example).

The idea that Trump would do such a thing is preposterous, but here we have the last two Democrat Presidents doing their thing with Farrakhan, who most recently was in Iran leading "Death to America" cheers.

And yet, not a single one of you will condemn it nor demand that Democrats do so. Instead, you'll dig in. True?

bet hillary wish she had this pic taken in 2005 during her 2008 campaign eh

Elite media suppressed the above photo of Obama for more than 8 years, only recently releasing it. Why would that photo need to be suppressed?

And why was it editorially acceptable to suppress it, rather than show it to citizens as part of their deliberations on who should have their political support?

This is "speaking truth to power?" Suppressing photos of favored political figures happily cavorting with open anti-Semites?

The above photos of Democrat Presidents are the equivalent of Trump attending a funeral or sharing a laugh with the likes of David Duke (for example).
    Hmmmm...sort of like Trump endorsing Steve King?

I watched the video coverage of Charlottesville... and I'm pretty sure that the angry mob, marching with torches, and chanting 'Jews will not replace us', weren't leftists.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Hmmmm...sort of like Trump endorsing Steve King?

I watched the video coverage of Charlottesville... and I'm pretty sure that the angry mob, marching with torches, and chanting 'Jews will not replace us', weren't leftists.
    A bunch of dumb kids, Norman. Not US Presidents. Wake up

But some very fine dumb kids, eh?

Ah, Farrakhan is the problem.

Which ads did he run in the latest campaign?

And perhaps the elite media suppressed news of a Nation of Islam synagogue shooting?

Farrakhan is a nasty piece of work, for sure. Imagining that he is the greater threat to Jewish people and causes is snicker-worthy.

A bunch of dumb kids, Norman. Not US Presidents. Wake up
    Yeah... those dumb kids.... and Trump, saying that there were 'good people on both sides'.

Tell me, who were the 'good people' Trump was referring to?

We have a US President who 'cavorts' (in your own parlance) with people who are clearly aligned with white nationalists. If you're going to condemn Obama for being at least polite and civil towards Louis Farrakahn, then tell us all about those 'good people'.

Dumb kids march and certain Presidents praise them.

The studied ignorance here is a disappointing as it is unsurprising. No one will condemn it. Somebody mentioned Sobell.

It is curious how much vitriol has gone on in that thread about white supremacy, but over here? Crickets.

Will a single one of you condemn Farrakhan's open anti-Semitism or the fact that your Presidents don't mind being photographed with him?

No problems with this? Why not? Why is it OK for Democrat Presidents to be photographed with such a man?

They want you to be naive. It's easier for anti-semites to build their base when they can communicate with their followers without drawing too much attention from everyone else.

Have you ever seen someone's name in a new article in triple parenthesis, like this: (((your name))) ?

You might see that on twitter or facebook. That is a signifier that anti-semites developed a couple of years ago to indicate that the person named is Jewish. It is designed to evade search engines (because most search engines ignore punctuation), yet be easily identifiable to other anti-semites.

Some people might thing that remaining naive about these sorts of things is noble in that it keeps them above the fray. But really it enables and emboldens the anti-semites.

Now you're beginning to blither.

Will a single one of you condemn Farrakhan's open anti-Semitism or the fact that your Presidents don't mind being photographed with him?
    Sure, I'll condemn Farrakhan's open antisemitism.

No problems with this? Why not? Why is it OK for Democrat Presidents to be photographed with such a man?
    Now tell me about how this makes Obama an antisemite.

Does appearing in the photo make him one?

Do you believe Obama is an antisemite?

What does saying that 'there were some fine people on both sides', about Charlottesville, say about Trump?

WHO WERE THOSE 'FINE PEOPLE'?

And why aren't YOU condemning Trump for associating with white supremacists and antisemites?

Let us set the strawmen aside. Nobody said there wasn't anti-Semitism on the Right. The OP discusses being na´ve about Republicans, calling their conduct "standard fare" and asking where their shame is.

How does that look in light of these photographs? Na´ve?

Let us set the strawmen aside. Nobody said there wasn't anti-Semitism on the Right. The OP discusses being na´ve about Republicans, calling their conduct "standard fare" and asking where their shame is.
    If you acknowledge that there IS antisemitism on the right, then there certainly IS a basis for shame, isn't there?

How does that look in light of these photographs? Na´ve?
    What do those photographs have to do with right wing antisemitism?

What do those photographs have to do with right wing antisemitism?
    See post # 10

If you acknowledge that there IS antisemitism on the right, then there certainly IS a basis for shame, isn't there?
    Norman, hopefully you have gleaned from my posts over the years that I find anti-Semitism unacceptable. In light of that, the idea that I would need to make any sort of comment about Charlottesville seems pretty dumb.

This isn't kindergarten. We don't need to go back to first principles.

another thread derailed