Thread: TV series finales

Default TV series finales

I just finished watching the Battlestar Galactica reboot series for the third time and once again I am amazed at how excellent the series finale was. I don't think it could have been done any better. It got me thinking about other good and not so good series finales and I wondered what's on other folks' top and bottom lists.

My favorites in no particular order:

Person of Interest (a perfect ending to a great series)
    Battlestar Galactica
    Boston Legal (Shatner and Spader at their best)
    Newhart (how could you NOT like that ending twist?)
    Fringe
    Grimm

Most controversial: Lost. I know most people hated it and I understand why. I loved it even though it left so much stuff just hanging unresolved/unexplained. Ultimately for me the show wasn't about the island and the mysteries and the time travel. It was about the characters, and the finale gave them a good ending. I particularly liked how Jack ended up exactly where the series started.

I hated the Seinfeld ending, but by the time it happened, I was sick of the show so I didn't really care. I guess it was perfectly in line with the characters and the show but I just got so tired of the cynicism and the stupid situations.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Default Re: TV series finales

Big bang is currently on its last (?) Series.

It'll be missed.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Breaking Bad.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

The Wire

Weeds
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Cool Re: TV series finales

One of the worst......The Sopranos.
    Great show but the ending sucked.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Six Feet Under

Soap

Good Times

Oz

Law and Order

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

M.a.s.h.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I accidentally saw the finale for That 70s Show. I say accidentally because I simply started watching an episode on a syndicated broadcast one Sunday afternoon.

I had no idea what was going on, and then I realized it was ending. They ended it on New Years Eve 1979, so I guess thatís cool. Iíve no idea if it was a good finale, as itís my the only episode I ever saw.

Peace,
    Robert

Magnum P.I.

Star Trek Next Generation
    Star Trek Deep Space Nine
    Star Trek Voyager
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Person of Interest (a perfect ending to a great series)
    I only caught a couple of episodes on reruns but dang, that was a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Magnum P.I.

Star Trek Next Generation
    Star Trek Deep Space Nine
    Star Trek Voyager
    I have seen a few episodes of Voyager. I like that captain. Thatís the lady captain, right? She was cool!

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Most controversial: Lost. I know most people hated it and I understand why. I loved it even though it left so much stuff just hanging unresolved/unexplained. Ultimately for me the show wasn't about the island and the mysteries and the time travel. It was about the characters, and the finale gave them a good ending. I particularly liked how Jack ended up exactly where the series started.
    My first encounter with "flash *sideways*" as I think it was described in reviews. Interesting! J.J. Abrams is never boring.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I have seen a few episodes of Voyager. I like that captain. That’s the lady captain, right? She was cool!

Peace,
    Robert
    Most of the Star Trek Genre got off to slow starts in terms of writing and character development but got better as each series progressed. But this improved with each incarnation, shorter time getting spooled up. Voyager hit the ground running from the get-go, in my opinion. And when they added Seven, it got even more interesting. Captain Janeway can best be encapsulated by the following fictitious phrase, which she did not say, but it gets the gist of things; "Screw the Prime Directive! We're *out here*, man!" I liked when she intentionally directed the ship through a binary pulsar to scare off ship invaders. It was intense.

Cool Re: TV series finales

I accidentally saw the finale for That 70s Show. I say accidentally because I simply started watching an episode on a syndicated broadcast one Sunday afternoon.

I had no idea what was going on, and then I realized it was ending. They ended it on New Years Eve 1979, so I guess thatís cool. Iíve no idea if it was a good finale, as itís my the only episode I ever saw.

Peace,
    Robert

A wonderful show, one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Most of the Star Trek Genre got off to slow starts in terms of writing and character development but got better as each series progressed. But this improved with each incarnation, shorter time getting spooled up. Voyager hit the ground running from the get-go, in my opinion. And when they added Seven, it got even more interesting. Captain Janeway can best be encapsulated by the following fictitious phrase, which she did not say, but it gets the gist of things; "Screw the Prime Directive! We're *out here*, man!" I liked when she intentionally directed the ship through a binary pulsar to scare off ship invaders. It was intense.
    I honestly had no idea of the development or situation when I saw the episodes I saw. And they were periodic rather than episodic, just happenstance viewings on a background teevee that became suddenly engaging.

That captain, though, exuded leadership qualities. She is a fine actress, judging by the few performances I saw. The Vulcan kid, too.
    Maybe Iíll have to pick this as my series to watch from flag to flag, eh?

Peace,
    Not A Trekker, But Amenable

The worst was Seinfeld I think.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

I honestly had no idea of the development or situation when I saw the episodes I saw. And they were periodic rather than episodic, just happenstance viewings on a background teevee that became suddenly engaging.

That captain, though, exuded leadership qualities. She is a fine actress, judging by the few performances I saw. The Vulcan kid, too.
    Maybe I’ll have to pick this as my series to watch from flag to flag, eh?

Peace,
    Not A Trekker, But Amenable
    Kate Mulgrew is a fine actress. But I think Jeri Ryan as Seven showed great emotional range when her character was upset, I would have liked to see her in a high drama. I found the character of Neelix interesting, affable and easy to underestimate, but when backed into a corner, fierce and cunning.

And Garak on DS9? There's an interesting character, played by a really fine actor.

Gigantor , can't remember what happened but it had something to do with a ring.
    Jetsons. Can't remember that either but it was a tragedy at the time.

I have a memory of Jackie Gleason hosting a live quiz show that lasted 1 day. The next week it was Jackie, alone, cigar in hand, ranting for 30 minutes about what a stupid idea the quiz show was.
    Michigan seems like a dream to me now.

The Prisoner, with Patrick McGoohan.

Sledge Hammer had to have one of the best endings ever! I laughed my @ss off.

Newhart was probably the most original and most creative ending and I sometimes think of it to this day.

And every time Doctor Who regenerates I wait with baited breath to see the new doctor.

The BSG reboot was, imo, the best sci fi series ever made for TV. And it was pretty high on the list of human drama as well. Awesome writing, great acting, outstanding character development.

I wish Caprica had done better.
    Nosce te ipsum

Better than Xfiles? Better than Firefly? Better than Futurerama? Better than Dr. Who?

youve lost your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Better than Xfiles? Better than Firefly? Better than Futurerama? Better than Dr. Who?

youve lost your mind
    Not at all.

X-Files was great, at least the stand alone episodes were, the main story arc though. . . Chris Carter jumped the shark. I'm not sure when, but he did.
    Firefly was awesome! Just not as good as BSG.
    Futurerama? You know it's not real, right?
    Dr. Who is lost on me.
    Nosce te ipsum