Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hell comes to Paradise

Default Hell comes to Paradise

The town of Paradise was placed under mandatory evacuation this afternoon. My sister-in-law and her husband, plus their son, were among those evacuated. Mary says they evacuated to Chico, only to be evacuated yet again as Chico came under threat. From what I can see of the map, they've lost their home. Paul built it himself about 25 years ago. We are now in the time of city-eating wild fires.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Default Re: Hell comes to Paradise

NPR interviewed a couple who were forced to abandon their car and run for it.
    Godawful.
    Michigan seems like a dream to me now.

Number of fires in Ontario this summer was, I think, about double what it was last year. And the 20 hottest years on record have all come since 1995. Welcome to the Chinese hoax.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

So sorry to hear this news. Paradise is a beautiful little town.

Ralphie

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Number of fires in Ontario this summer was, I think, about double what it was last year. And the 20 hottest years on record have all come since 1995. Welcome to the Chinese hoax.

Tom
    funny how every year sets a new record for hottest ever, but some people still think global warming is a hoax.

Ralphie

That town was so cute. Now Chico is being threatened by fire.

The smoke is really bad, the morning sky dark red and the air rated unhealthy - 180 miles away here in the Bay Area. Many have resorted to wearing masks again (including me). There is no rain in the near future. Winds are switching to blow the smoke east.

Let’s hope they get these fires stopped and more people’s lives and homes saved.

this is global warming changes on our door step and now in our lungs.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Very sorry to hear this. Last year's fires around Santa Rosa narrowly missed my sister's place. My BinL took me around pointing out friends' vacant lots and the friends some moved, some dead. People are dealing with real trauma.

I sent my daughter some N95 masks (the ones with an exhale valve, I find them the most comfortable). She lives on Haight. He office overlooks Treasure Island. She is wearing one today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I sent my daughter some N95 masks (the ones with an exhale valve, I find them the most comfortable). She lives on Haight. He office overlooks Treasure Island. She is wearing one today.
    the N95 is my choice too today
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Phew…… comms in bushfires are often very dodgy due to the fire generating it's own electrical interference. Hoping he's OK.

These fire threads are very relevant to our situation, I always have plans to be elsewhere but forecasts and lack of rainfall this year make our planning much more focussed and much earlier. Official fire season kicks in on the 19th, a full month early.

I note from our news on the fires that Thousand Oaks is under threat, as of they've not had enough to deal with.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 11-09-2018 at 03:06 PM.

AT last report, all family -- son and in-laws of daughter (living in Boise) all evacuated safely. Son works for PG&E, so was able to cross the fire line -- and found the family home had been spared. The house is on the South side of Paradise, and the fire came in uphill from the South-East. They have an acre of lawn in front of the house, so the fire split up and went around. Had the fire come in from the North, the house would have been toast, as are all the other houses in that neighborhood. Some people get lucky. Most don't.

I'm surprised no newspaper picked Milton's title for a headline: Paradise Lost.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

The fires look pretty bad in Malibu. I bet we’ll see some horrific photos in the morning. I know some here have family in the area. Good luck to them.

Truly heart breaking
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Things are getting so dry here in the Gulf Islands that the Western Red Cedars and Balsa Firs are dying all over the place. Wells are going dry and water levels in ponds and lakes are getting low. Seasonal brooks are drying up sooner and starting to flow again later.

I'm just waiting for some fool to burn the whole island down. It would progress very quickly and it would be impossible to evacuate everybody.

With such a heinous disaster he blames the gov’t and threatens withdrawal of funds.

Donald J. Trump
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!
    2:08 AM · Nov 10, 2018 · Twitter for iPhone
    Last edited by LeeG; 11-10-2018 at 06:52 AM.

Horrifying how fast this one developed.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/09/us/ca...wcx/index.html

It grew by 5,000 acres Thursday in just three hours, according to Cal Fire, meaning it expanded by an average of more than one football field every 3 seconds during that period.
    The Camp Fire's most significant growth period happened early Thursday afternoon, when it grew 10,000 acres in about 90 minutes -- burning the equivalent of more than one football field every second during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    With such a heinous disaster he blames the gov’t and threatens withdrawal of funds.

Donald J. Trump
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!
    2:08 AM · Nov 10, 2018 · Twitter for iPhone
    Yeah, Donald, that's the spirit! Cutting off the money will solve the problem.

(Anybody ready to say "Impeach the sunfabich!")

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Yeah, Donald, that's the spirit! Cutting off the money will solve the problem.

(Anybody ready to say "Impeach the sunfabich!")
    1 just don’t get it. This fire explodes through and he takes this as an opportunity to denigrate federal agencies and local gov’t.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    1 just don’t get it. This fire explodes through and he takes this as an opportunity to denigrate federal agencies and local gov’t.
    To be expected of the man, in Europe to celebrate the end of WW1, steps off AF1 and immediately insults the president of France.
    The man simply has no conscience, no empathy, no shame.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

a forest fire in Southern California

forests in Southern California

Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

42 and growing. Many more to be found. Many were seniors who could not act fast enough, living in mobile homes, and those who lived on those cute single lane roads out in the country among the trees and tall grasses.

many are living in the Walmart parking lot, sleeping outside in freezing temperatures in cheap sleeping bags. These folks are stuck as they have no transportation to get to shelters. Those without cell phones are particularly hard to track and have no place to go. This is equally heartbreaking.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-13-2018 at 12:39 PM.

I have a friend that lost everything in Paradise. He has stories of the escape on foot that will curl your hair.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/...-125000-acres/

BUTTE COUNTY — As firefighters embark Tuesday on their sixth day battling the Camp Fire, a blaze that has tragically become the deadliest and most destructive wildfire in California’s history, the wildfire continued to grow.
    Early Tuesday morning, Cal Fire announced the blaze has now charred 125,000 acres, a slight increase from Monday night’s total. The fire remains at 30 percent contained.
    The Camp Fire has claimed the lives of 42 people, a number that is almost certain to rise as rescue and recovery workers sift through the ruins and ashes of houses. An untold number of people remain missing, and it could be days or weeks before their loved ones have answers.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    threatening to remove Federal payments after an entire town is wiped out and dozens dead. Just like immigration policies that caused unnecesary suffering for no reason. This is the GOP administration.

Authorities said late Thursday the death toll from the Camp Fire has risen to 63, bringing the statewide count to 66. In addition, more than 600 people have been reported missing, according to the Butte County sheriff's office.

Despite the grim update, cooler weather has helped fire crews gain ground Thursday against the nation's deadliest wildfire in a century as the search went on for more bodies.

Watching from afar and hoping that those missing are only missing. Dreadful stuff - our very best wishes to all who are affected by this.

Rick

Horrifying, I do hope they all fled somewhere safe…

and I think you need to ignore your president for a while………………..

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Watching from afar and hoping that those missing are only missing. Dreadful stuff - our very best wishes to all who are affected by this.

Rick
    As Australia waits for our own fire season to begin in earnest.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Just horrifying.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Horrifying, I do hope they all fled somewhere safe…

and I think you need to ignore your president for a while………………..
    We do try. Some more successfully than others.

In the news this morning: 1/3 of the homes for sale in Chico sold yesterday (11/15).

Fire is 75% contained. 79 dead. 800 missing. 11,000 homes and over 145 apartment buildings gone.

We are reflecting on this on Thanksgiving.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-20-2018 at 12:13 PM.

You forgot to mention the crews literally sifting ashes for human remains in a race to beat the imminent rain, which will surely cause mudslides.

It is gruesome, and folks joke for political jollies.

Peace,
    Robert