Thread: California’s cap-and-trade dollars are building a hydrogen fuel cell boat

Default California’s cap-and-trade dollars are building a hydrogen fuel cell boat

A mock-up of what the Water-Go-Round may look like.
    Golden Gate Zero Emissions Marine

All aboard: construction of a hydrogen fuel cell boat, with aims to be the first of its kind to run commercially, was announced on Thursday in San Francisco.

A startup called Golden Gate Zero Emission Marine (GGZEM) held a keel-laying ceremony on Thursday for its new, 70-foot hydrogen fuel cell ferry. The keel-laying ceremony marks the beginning of the construction of a vessel, and GGZEM expects that it will be completed by September 2019.

The boat, which will be called the Water-Go-Round, will likely be the first hydrogen fuel cell boat to run commercially, ferrying people around the San Francisco Bay. Generally, ferries tend to be diesel-powered, creating significant noise underwater, as well as greenhouse gas emissions and potential marine pollution from spills. By contrast, a hydrogen fuel cell boat would be quieter, and its only emissions while operating in the water would be more water.

That said, getting the hydrogen fuel to fill up the boat isn't a trivial problem. Currently, a lot of pure hydrogen is derived using methane, and transporting hydrogen is a challenge requiring energy-intense compression or energy-intense cold storage. Researchers from Sandia National Laboratories recently found that when synthesis, transportation, and storage are factored in, hydrogen fuel cell boats that run on gas-derived hydrogen are probably not better emissions-wise than diesel boats.

(CONT'D AT LINK)
    California’s cap-and-trade dollars are building a hydrogen fuel cell boat (LINK)

I wonder if they looked at this.....

Producing hydrogen from methane in a cleaner, cheaper way (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: California’s cap-and-trade dollars are building a hydrogen fuel cell boat

That hydrogen from methane link could be a real game-changer if it can be scaled.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Default Re: California’s cap-and-trade dollars are building a hydrogen fuel cell boat

goofy

Scaling it is the issue. Another marine fuel is propane. There's no sulphur so it meets the sulphur cap regulations coming into effect in a little over a year but the cost of changing over the world's shipping fleets to propane would be huge. And there's doubts we'd have enough propane. The positive side is that the emissions are just water so we can fix the world's clean water problem at the same time.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiefan View Post

A mock-up of what the Water-Go-Round may look like.
    Golden Gate Zero Emissions Marine

California’s cap-and-trade dollars are building a hydrogen fuel cell boat (LINK)

I wonder if they looked at this.....

Producing hydrogen from methane in a cleaner, cheaper way (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]
    I am sticking around to drive one of these. The real issue is where to build the first hydrogen fueling station. They want to do it in conjunction with other vehicles (buses and cars).
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.