Thread: Windows 10 users finding their legit installs are being deactivated

Default Windows 10 users finding their legit installs are being deactivated

M$ fails again.

For reasons that are currently unclear, Windows 10 Professional users are finding that their properly licensed installations are being deactivated.

On systems affected by the issue, Windows is complaining that a Windows 10 Home license key is being used with a Windows 10 Pro installation. To fix things, the system needs to be wiped and Windows 10 Home installed. Otherwise, a genuine Windows 10 Pro key needs to be used.

Microsoft has acknowledged that the problem exists and that some unspecified issue with the Windows Authentication servers is causing the problem, but as yet, there's no fix. The Windows 10 Pro licenses do seem to be valid, and some resolution is promised within a couple of business days.

(CONT'D AT LINK)
    Windows 10 users finding their legit installs are being deactivated (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: Windows 10 users finding their legit installs are being deactivated

Just another example of how increasing reliance on computer based workflows and communications are making the general population vulnerable to disruptions from outside agencies. You will always be able to hoist up the mainsail and take off on a journey. You can grab your key or hot wire an old car, get in and drive. No key or code to your software will ever give the user autonomy.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Just another example of how increasing reliance on computer based workflows and communications are making the general population vulnerable to disruptions from outside agencies. You will always be able to hoist up the mainsail and take off on a journey. You can grab your key or hot wire an old car, get in and drive. No key or code to your software will ever give the user autonomy.
    So back to the dark ages where we all died before the age of 40 and 6 out of ten children died before their 10th birthday. Throw it all out!!!!!
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    So back to the dark ages where we all died before the age of 40 and 6 out of ten children died before their 10th birthday. Throw it all out!!!!!
    I prefer "Make it better!!!"

Ithaka, by Cavafy

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiefan View Post
    I prefer "Make it better!!!"
    Me too, and it is better. This is the first computer I used for business:

A Sharp PC-7000 20-pound 'luggable' portable computer. It had two 5 1/4" floppies, 320KB RAM and no hard drive. It ran DOS 2.1, and I had to computerize a salesforce of traveling book salesmen with it. My men checked into their motel rooms every night, and used acoustic modems, at 300 baud, to download inventory information on up to 5,000 titles of remainder books. I had to write an enormous system of batch files to sit on top of DOS and Lotus Symphony to automate this process so pure Luddites could use the machine. We were the first computerized salesforce in the publishing industry, and the fill-rate on the orders we wrote improved by 50%, almost overnight.

When I compare that system to the computer power I have today, I tremble from excitement over the improvement.

First computer that I used - 1968

This would be as frustrating as if your internet was down for a day or two.

I'm glad that there are legitimate competitors like Linux and Mac to keep MS on their toes and prevent there being a lot more problems like this.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Not at all the intention of my post. It wasn't a rejection of the technology, rather my intent was to point out how dependability on it can in some foreseeable situations, create a false sense of security and the OP is a good example.
    Just imagine the scenario where you are in business and at a critical phase in a tendering process and someone (competitor) hacks your software licences and puts a spanner in the works in order to gain some competitive advantage.......I'm sure you have a good old fashioned compass and charts on the boat as well as navionics or equivalent ?

.......or to go to the extreem..... the conspiracy theory scenario where govt and sections of the military are "computer disabled" and communications hacked and blacked out to facilitate a coup?
    Last edited by Hallam; 11-08-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by sarnella View Post
    First computer that I used - 1968
    I got to play with a 101 at the 1964 World's Fair. Nice calculator.

Never seen that happen with Macs, except when someone has multiple email addresses and makes the mistake of registering their computer with one, their app store with a different one and their phone with yet another one. Then one can get into quite a password mess indeed.

Like I have to try to straighten out again tomorrow for a client.

Sigh.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

/*
    Ah, nostalgia..... I had one like this, and a PC-XT.
    */

The other day, I posted an image to show off my new MacBook Pro's multiscreen prowess. Nobody cared. But I did get a few comments on my keyboard. Which got me thinking: why do I use a keyboard that's old enough to be of legal drinking age?

It must have been about 10 years ago that a trip to the computer expo could still result in some cool hardware you'd never heard of or a killer deal on something more conventional. In this case, I found someone selling these enormous, old, second-hand keyboards. I thought it would be cool to have some IBM hardware, so I got one.

And before long, the three cheap keyboards that had come with the three PCs I had at the time were gathering dust. So what's so special about the IBM Model M keyboard?

For starters, the sound. This thing is loud, which really makes me feel like I'm getting serious work done when typing. Not so great if you share an office or participate in conference calls, though. The reason the Model M is so loud is that it uses a buckling spring mechanism, with a spring inside each key that buckles as you press it. The buckling springs also give the keyboard its distinctive feel: the keys offer fairly significant resistance up to a point, and then they go all the way down. This is also exactly the moment they activate, so you know exactly when you've typed a letter by touch alone, without the need to bottom out the keys.
    (CONT'D AT LINK)
    Why I use a 20-year-old IBM Model M keyboard (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Ithaka, by Cavafy

Ah! The joyful noise of the mechanical keyboard. Thanks to the gamers, they're back in vogue now, with some modern conveniences. I use an EagleTec, 104-key model with colored LED backlit keys. It's a great keyboard, but not if your wife is sleeping in the recliner next door.

if my laptop did not come with win10, I would be running 7 on everything. 10 on that machine is tolerable only because it is stripped down of most of the fluff
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Friend of mine had Win 10 on a mini laptop. I scrapped it and installed Mint Linux and he loves it. One of the side benefits was it freed up about three times as much hard drive space.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

The only thing going for Windows is the number of jobs it creates to keep it running.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I have a completely isolated win10 box at work, that is persona non grata on our company network, used for testing a variety of industrial Ethernet protocols.
    Ever tried "registering" win10 without an internet connection? What a frikken rigmarole, and that is after you pick the least likely seeming option, on the automated phone system.
    Of course, every other piece of MS software whinges that it can't connect to "register", and progressively reduces its functionality - Word, for example, after three months of no connection, will now only view documents. Just as well there are loads of open source options there.
    I don't really need the learning curve, but if MS go any further down the authentication/software as a service rabbit hole, Linux will be in my future, as Windows just won't be a viable option for some of what we are doing.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

*NIX for the Win!

Ithaka, by Cavafy

The laptop on which I am typing this came with Windows 7 installed.I read the EULA and never even activated it.It seems that things have become even worse and like WX I am a convert to Linux so that my hardware and my software and my files are mine and not Microsoft's.I commend this course of action to anybody and if you are unsure about running specific programs under Linux-take a look at what Wine makes possible.You may enjoy the freedom.