Thread: Schooner Restoration

Default Schooner Restoration

I’ve been asked to evaluate restoring a 1931 pilot house schooner 35’LWl. The interior is fairly rotted. The hull was glassed over by a private individual with unknown skills. Wood moisture varies a whole lot but the wood nearest the glass is drier than some of the other parts. Has anyone ever done a restoration of a wooden hull glassed over?

Default Re: Schooner Restoration

If any planks need replacing, it will involve removing some or all of the fiberglass. If the interior is toast, I'd be surprised if the hull is still good. Based on the available info, I'm not optimistic. Any pictures?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

To quote Elmer Fudd, "Be vewy, vewy careful!"

Based on what you have posted, I'd run far, and fast. If you don't, inspect it very carefully and very thoroughly, and be very pessimistic in your evaluation.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Depends on how well the cloth adhered, or didn't, to the wood. Some boats have sheets of glass just peel off, while others have the glass take chunks of wood off. Sounds like a fun project, even if the hull just gives some pattern pieces.

Define "evaluate" -- meaning someone else will pay you to take the job, or you will buy the boat? As above, with that much rot it could cost more than building the same boat new with quality wood.
    Last edited by Thorne; 11-09-2018 at 12:52 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

An interior is about 1/4 of a basic sail boat . That figure i think includes water tanks stoves and similar.
    Can't see how that project would be worth the time and money required.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Define "evaluate" -- meaning someone else will pay you to take the job, or you will buy the boat? As above, with that much rot it could cost more than building the same boat new with quality wood.
    No we were asked as a nonprofit if the job is doable. The owner may consider donating the boat to us but not necessarily. We just finished restoration of a 1947 English built gaff rigged cutter and the owner had seen us doing it.

What i I am trying to figure out is why is the wood closer to the fiberglass covering drier than the wood exposed in the interior
    Last edited by Captbobr; 11-09-2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Spelling

I suspect that it is because the water came from rain, and moisture in the air. Also possibly bilge water that evaporated. If the interior is rotten, the boat was probably closed up tightly, or covered. The glass skin kept the outer planking dry, while rain through the decks or moist air rotted the interior.