Thread: Table saw maintenance

Default Table saw maintenance

I have a 16/17 year-old Grizzley 10" table saw. In addition to the usual cleanup after each use, several times a year I rub down the table surface with a 3M abrasive pad and some WD-40, then give it a coat of butcher's wax. All this has given the table a rather uneven appearance. I'd like to give the entire table a fresh "look". I'm thinking about fitting my random-orbit sander with a pad of fine emery paper/cloth (instead of sandpaper) and giving the table a going-over. Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Default Re: Table saw maintenance

I run over mine a couple of times a year with some extra fine steel wool on the bottom of my ROS. Shines it right up and makes it smooth as a babies posterior.

If it suits you, you can cut an octagonal pad of white scotchbrite and it will stick right to a hook and loop sander. I never worry about the appearance, but I do the same maintainance you describe in the OP. I also have a regular lube schedule for the gears and pivot points inside the machine, the Powermatic 66 that were sold in the early oughts were poorly designed, they get stiff and gummed up continuously.

It really doesn't matter what the surface looks like. What's important is how it works. If the stock you're cutting slides easily on the surface and doesn't pick up dirt or stains, then leave it alone. I use Johnson's paste wax on my machines when they need it.

What is butcher's wax? Why would a butcher need a wax?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    It really doesn't matter what the surface looks like. What's important is how it works. If the stock you're cutting slides easily on the surface and doesn't pick up dirt or stains, then leave it alone. I use Johnson's paste wax on my machines when they need it.

What is butcher's wax? Why would a butcher need a wax?

Jeff
    Butcher's wax is a paste wax originally used by them to coat/seal their cutting blocks/tables so that the blood,etc. from the meat couldn't penetrate. Actually, I too use Johnson's paste wax, I call it butcher's wax out of habit.....gimme a break- I'm an old fart!!!

I need to do better with my 10" saw and adopt some the above ideas.

I think that Butcher’s wax also says Bowling Alley Paste on the can. I always thought Butcher’s was just a brand name. I use it all the time, and have been known to use an entire can in less than a decade. All the machine tables and fences get it. It makes handplaning much, much easier too.

Yes,.... paste wax for the table saws, band saws, jointers, planers, hand planes, chisels, slicks, shipwrights adzes, any cutting tools and metal tables.

Quote Originally Posted by John Husky View Post
    If it suits you, you can cut an octagonal pad of white scotchbrite and it will stick right to a hook and loop sander. I never worry about the appearance, but I do the same maintainance you describe in the OP. I also have a regular lube schedule for the gears and pivot points inside the machine, the Powermatic 66 that were sold in the early oughts were poorly designed, they get stiff and gummed up continuously.
    Scotchbrite pads on the random orbit sander work a treat. Martin sells a light machine oil for lubing their older sliding table table saws. Works great for keeping this rust free, shiny, well lubed.