Thread: The art of the draftsman

Default The art of the draftsman

I love ship's drawings; occupational hazard, I guess. This is the sail & rigging plan for the Gorch Fock:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: The art of the draftsman

Outboard profile of "Balclutha":

A cutaway perspective drawing of "Southampton Castle" (an awesome drawing from the pre-CAD era):

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

The cutaway is particularly awe inspiring.

Michigan seems like a dream to me now.

I hope those are some BIG sheets of paper.

The OP is drafting. The cutaway and the car are illustrations IMHO. Not at all the same skill.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Having done enough drafting to know I'm no draftsman, these are all most impressive. Yes, the cutaways may be illustrations, but I bet they are close to drafting as far as accuracy goes.

More please (and thank you)!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

My manual drafting skills go back to drawing structural steel for fabrication. I can tell right now my skill set in drafting while fine for structural steel, in no way compares the the beauties above.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Well, Figment, having done cutaway perspective illustrations (nothing near as complex as the Southampton Castle and the Alfa, though), I beg to differ. Same instruments (plus some more), same media (plus some more), same table, same attention to detail and scale, and often same accuracy of measurement, just additional details such as shading, textures, etc. Call it a slamming together of drafting and illustration, maybe, but definitely a related field of drafting. There is even a chapter devoted to the discipline in one of my technical drawing textbooks (circa 1958).

Tony Dias
    Sailplan KG.jpg
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Do you know if Tony produce his designs by hand, or CAD, Peter?

Sorry I don't know.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I have always thought the Henrik af Chapman drawings rather good.

I still have all my drafting tools, and my dad's, and his friend's and boss's. When my office converted to CAD, I was only too happy to glom onto two of the 5' drafting tables to lay end-to-end in my 10' long cubicle at standing height and level, and the drafting chair, and an articulated arm to hold my CRT display above the table surface. And thus discarding the traditional desk. We may have converted to CAD, but we still had large roll drawings, and nothing was better for looking at them than my setup. Other engineers would stop by to borrow the table for a minute. (And I did love CAD for what it could do, and also being able to reduce and plot drawings at the smallest possible legible size, so I always had a copy easily at hand in my briefcase at customer meetings.)

Regarding the original post with the tall ships, that's a pretty good statics problem with a lot of equations.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    But how does it drive without going *thump-thump-thump-thump* on the right all the time?

I draw for a living. Mostly just well enough to get the point across to a client and to the shop for fabrication. I look forward to the day I retire and can draw for fun. I would so enjoy drawing my favorite cutter or dreaming up my own design. I've tried on the weekend but my brain is usually to fried, so I'll wait until I have time and space.

That cutaway of the car is more art than an mechanical drawing. I could make a good go at drawing that ships hull and end up with something close, but I could never draw that car like that.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Tony Dias is an excellent drafts person conventionally or digitally. I personally have seen stacks of his drawings and they are delightful. He is also a good painter and an artist. I once saw drawing sets that were so well done that I suggested he could sell them as books - at least I wanted to buy them. His style is quite nice and goes beyond that of the typical naval architect. I think that's because he's an artist and therefore more expressive in his drawings and use of time.

John, it is pretty obvious that Tony Dias has an artist's eye. I wondered about the posted drawing due to the lettering - that is not hand-drawn, I don't think. However, I have been guilty of preparing a drawing manually, then adding CAD-generated lettering to it, so that could be the case here. Usually a draftsman will work hard to develop a lettering style that is not only crisp, even, and eminently readable, but also with a style that is recognizably his own.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Outboard profile of "Balclutha":

I’ve been to the top of that main mast. Long story, but fun to look at that drawing and remember that.

Peterson's coaster schooners had some of the drafting done by K. Aage Nielsen. They are stunningly beautiful. I can't post them but if you ever get a chance to look at one, do so. They're incredible. Another drawing I like is the cutaway of Cutty Sark showing her from the starboard quarter from up high. Really well done.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Tony Dias went CAD early and I believe that the drawing show is probably off the computer. He may utilize hybrid techniques too. Somewhere I heard that he was moving back to hand drawings.
    I was a pretty decent draftsman myself, but as my practice grew and early commercial cad took root I bought into it in the mid/late 80s with 2D and then 3D in the 90s. But by then I was managing a team of designers and never became proficient in 3D. So I tend to think in sketch form and some quick 2d drawings before moving to 3D. But others are much faster than me so I utilize cad for review and revision. I keep telling myself I will eventually master SW or the rendering tools but I haven made the commitment. Wish I had earlier in the game. But I still like the feel and the quality of hand drawing. I have 2 drafting machines in storage. 1 is 4' X 8'. Used it on a big standup board for multiple dwgs or full size furniture dwgs. Haven't had it in use since moving studio from soho in the mid 90s.

Smile Re: The art of the draftsman

I love ship's drawings; occupational hazard, I guess. This is the sail & rigging plan for the Gorch Fock:

I have been wondering why Peerie Maa hasn't participated in the comments his being a Naval Architect?
    Could it be that there is no catenary shown in the rigging, I find it irritating too Nick.
    Last edited by Chippie; 11-11-2018 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I’ve been to the top of that main mast. Long story, but fun to look at that drawing and remember that.

I know it's difficult to talk about it Ron, lets face it some of us went to great lengths to avoid being put into THE BARREL (Ominous music).

I never heard of anyone escaping the experience though.

Glad to see you can look back and remember it as fun?

Yikes!
    Last edited by Chippie; 11-11-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Chippie, I can't say so authoritatively because I wasn't in the drawing office that produced the drawing of the Gorch Fock, but I think I can say with some certainty that the rigging is drawn without catenary in the interest of speed of drawing. If the catenary is not a technical requirement for the drawing, it is merely artistic and the drawing is for technical purposes, not art. Therefore, the draftsman would be encouraged to use the most speedy techniques to convey the required information. In the case of the rigging lines, it is important to illustrate the attachment points and run of the rigging, not to convey how gravity affects it. Using a straightedge to illustrate the origin and run is much faster than using curved templates or battens and weights to effect a line with catenary to suit a discriminating artistic eye. Such visual accuracy is left to the ship portraitists.

(edit to fix a speeling error - mmd)
    Last edited by mmd; 11-10-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Jean Le Bot did some lovely work, but not a lot is online.
    This is scanned from the Model Shipwright mag in 1981
    La Perle.jpg
    This is more of his work
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

A good drafting hand as well as freehand pen-and-ink skills, too. Mssr. Le Bot does indeed have skills, Nick.

At the risk of drifting this to freehand, Eric Sloane did a lot of wonderful drawings of US colonial buildings, etc. As a kid I spent hours going over them:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Yup, thread drift. Yup, lovely drawings.

Back to technical drawings: ‘Lord Heneage’: Launched 10th March 1909; Requisitioned by Royal Navy as a minesweeper/bomb thrower in February 1915; Intercepted a large cargo of weapons being sent from Germany to the Army of the Irish Republic in April 1916. Drawing from 'Trawling Through Time - THE STORY OF COOK, WELTON & GEMMELL, SHIPBUILDERS' https://trawlingthroughtime.org

Do you know if Tony produce his designs by hand, or CAD, Peter?
    I believe Antonio is a board and eraser guy...

Most excellent thread. Thanks!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

John L. disagrees with you, David. Ref. post #21. Personally, I think that Mr. Dias produced the drawing in post #10 via CAD, then 'coloured' it with a graphics program such as Photoshop. It is a common method these days.

John L. disagrees with you, David. Ref. post #21. Personally, I think that Mr. Dias produced the drawing in post #10 via CAD, then 'coloured' it with a graphics program such as Photoshop. It is a common method these days.
    Could be... it was just a vague memory. Lovely, at any rate.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Got more?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

There is lots to discover 'out there'. After the pretty drawings of the linesplan, profile & decks. centreline section, etc. have all been done and the vessel is about to be built, then the fun part starts: How do you illustrate all the bits and pieces so that the builder can create the boat as it was intended by the designer, with the confidence that it will all fit, and work? This is the rudder & steering gear drawing for the Columbia III, operating on the coast of British Columbia in Canada. She was designed by Robert Allan Ltd. in 1955 for the Columbia Coast Mission and built the following year at Star Shipyards in New Westminster B.C. and still has her original Gardner diesel engine. She serviced the coast as a hospital ship, answering emergency calls until 1968. She was restored to her present immaculate condition in 1990 by Bill McKechnie of Victoria B.C. and since then she's been used as a charter boat, especially as a kayaking "mothership".

I love all the drawings in Chappelle.

I also love similar drawings for architecture. I have a magnificent b/w line drawing poster for the Duomo in Florence that is half elevation, half section.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Regarding the stump puller drawings: All that is missing in the little wooly mammoth (representing force) from The Way Things Work books by David Macaulay.