Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R judge loses election... acts out

Default R judge loses election... acts out

After learning of his loss - he then releases nearly every juvenile offender that appears before him. "It's what the voters want" he says. Can anyone explain to him the meanings of words like 'childish', 'petulant', 'irresponsible', and 'professional'????

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-mid...130241358.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: R judge loses election... acts out

Reds suck!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

And this is how he acts being a judge? He deserves to be voted out!

I read something last night about how the mostly-republican judges in dallas and houston got pretty much wiped-out in this election, a phenomenon attributed entirely to Betomania.
    Straight-ticket voting, people picked the democrat ticket to vote for Beto, and consequently elected democrats as judges, clerks, dogcatchers, etc. Some, I infer, are woefully underqualified.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

A page from the trump playbook

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I read something last night about how the mostly-republican judges in dallas and houston got pretty much wiped-out in this election, a phenomenon attributed entirely to Betomania.
    Straight-ticket voting, people picked the democrat ticket to vote for Beto, and consequently elected democrats as judges, clerks, dogcatchers, etc. Some, I infer, are woefully underqualified.
    Interesting... but related to the OP how?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

related to the OP in that this judge may be one of those who was swept-out, to be replaced by a lesser individual.

related to the OP in that this judge may be one of those who was swept-out, to be replaced by a lesser individual.
    Possibly. So... what? Are you suggesting that explains his behavior? Or excuses it? Or...???
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

explains, possibly.

Excuses, oh hell no.

I'm curious - the 'underqualified' - is that from a news source, or your intuition?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

What do you expect when you elect rather than appoint on merit public servants?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    What do you expect when you elect rather than appoint on merit public servants?
    I happen to agree with you there. Judges should not be elected, neither should county Sheriffs. Some things really should be merit based
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Unfortunately, as we have seen with Kavanaugh and Scalia, even merit as a basis is not liable to be free from political bias.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I don't see how anyone can be less qualified that this petulant soon-to-be-ex-judge.

You'd think there would be a way to remove the guy from office for obvious misconduct, like showing up drunk, raving incoherently from the bench - or having a hissy fit and releasing everybody because he lost the election.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    And put on trial for negligence, dereliction of duty, and sued for every future crime commited by these people.

If sleek is amazingly, actually, defending this dingbat judge... someone please let me know. I'll be forced to take him OFF of the Ignore List... and put him, instead, onto a higher-level Super Secret Double Ignore List!!! <G> But even sleek wouldn't do THAT... would he?
    Last edited by David G; 11-08-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    If sleek is amazingly, actually, defending this dingbat judge... someone please let me know. I'll be forced to take him OFF of the Ignore List... and put him, instead, onto a higher-level Super Secret Double Ignore List!!! <G>
    Come on, have some faith. And take me off ignore, i hate loosing resources above decks for building repair info.

Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    And put on trial for negligence, dereliction of duty, and sued for every future crime commited by these people.
    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    If sleek is amazingly, actually, defending this dingbat judge... someone please let me know. I'll be forced to take him OFF of the Ignore List... and put him, instead, onto a higher-level Super Secret Double Ignore List!!! <G> But even sleek wouldn't do THAT... would he?
    Here you go.

Un block him, you coward.
    Steve Martinsen

Well shut ma mouth, you elect judges you get a proportion of turkeys, bigots, mental pygmies and incompetents. What do you expect?
    And now you've gotten an AG who fits the model.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie

READ MY POST SLEEK, VOTED OUT! You're post makes absolutely NO SENSE!

I made plenty. I agreed with you, and took it further.

No you didn't but, it's obviously not worth arguing with you.

I think I am missing something. As much as Sleek and I do not agree on many things.. that post makes perfect sense. That judge deserves to be voted out and then sued for negligence by anybody those youths commit crimes against in the future. More or less exactly what Sleek was saying.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I think I am missing something. As much as Sleek and I do not agree on many things.. that post makes perfect sense. That judge deserves to be voted out and then sued for negligence by anybody those youths commit crimes against in the future. More or less exactly what Sleek was saying.
    You inserted "the Judge" which isn't in sleek's original post!,Only the last bit suggests he's talking about those people releasee. READ it AS POSTED, not what you added. Art. I was talking about the judge.Voting the judge out is penalty enough. The rest? Where does it say or can you say it's a dereliction of duty as judges have the right to add to the yrs one would spend in jail, remove them, throw the offense out or give them a different punishment?
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 11-08-2018 at 04:17 PM.

This forum needs a "breathe, dude" emoticon.

Devlin and another Harris County juvenile judge, John Phillips, accounted for more than 20 percent of all youths sent to the state’s juvenile prisons last year, according to the newspaper. They also sent younger juveniles to prison, and for less serious offenses, than the county’s other juvenile court judge, Mike Schneider.

All three judges were defeated in a Democratic sweep of 59 Harris County judicial seats.

“The voters of Harris County clearly wanted a change in the juvenile courts, and Judge Devlin today is showing us why the voters may have wanted change,” said Jay Jenkins, a policy attorney with the Texas Criminal Justice Coalition.

WOW, 59 reds kicked to the curb. THAT is an ass whoppin'! And being judges makes it that much sweeter.

"The law isn't what the LAW says, it's what the JUDGE says the law is."
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    I don't think he can be sued, he's protected by the fact that he's acting as a judge, even if he's doing it incompetently. But if he had any hope of a political future, it's dead now.

John, I think judges have some leeway here. If the rulings become excessive ( numbers) and punishments either way, it raises eyebrows

John, I think judges have some leeway here. If the rulings become excessive ( numbers) and punishments either way, it raises eyebrows
    It doesn't take away their immunity.

By the way, I really object to what you're doing on this thread. Sleek took the same side you did. I don't understand why you're attacking him.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    It doesn't take away their immunity.

By the way, I really object to what you're doing on this thread. Sleek took the same side you did. I don't understand why you're attacking him.
    NO I DIDN"T! I rarely if ever take sleek's side on anything! This is no exception. Here we go, if the judge acts the way this judge did, I'd vote him out! Clear enough?

NO I DIDN"T! I rarely if ever take sleek's side on anything! This is no exception. Here we go, if the judge acts the way this judge did, I'd vote him out! Clear enough?
    And Sleek agreed, and added more that should happen to him. I don't think you're reading his post correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    And Sleek agreed, and added more that should happen to him. I don't think you're reading his post correctly.
    You know, I'm not going to argue, I'm more in agreement with you than sleek so to me, this is completely ridiculous. Maybe I did misinterpreted it, then again others may have.. It came across as the judge should be what ever he said because the judge was the last reference point, partly he copied in my post I paraphrased it above for you. He did not include a name prefacing his sentence, what was in the post, I posted, I mentioned the judge AND not those he released which he's definitely referring to at the end of his sentence. Why can't we just drop it John?

You know, I'm not going to argue, I'm more in agreement with you than sleek so to me, this is completely ridiculous. Maybe I did misinterpreted it, then again others may have.. It came across as the judge should be what ever he said because the judge was the last reference point, partly he copied in my post I paraphrased it above for you. He did not include a name prefacing his sentence, what was in the post, I posted, I mentioned the judge AND not those he released which he's definitely referring to at the end of his sentence. Why can't we just drop it John?
    Jamie - you absolutely did misread his post. Not sure why (maybe because I'm an unstable genius?) - but the first time I read sleek's post I said "Good for him & I agree". Same result when you misinterpreted it (IMO you misinterpreted) - he still said sue, etc.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Garret, I was responding to sllekwho posted a far longer sentence than Good for him! And the first and only noun I used was the Judge Lest's just say I misread it and make everyone feel happy, how does that sound?