Thread: Have you seen the BYTON

Default Have you seen the BYTON

It's a new EV company founded by ex. execs. from BMW and Tesla. Designed in Germany, Engineered in California and made in China. byton.com.
    I saw a presentation by their Director of Engineering yesterday in Seoul at Korea Invest Week conference. They claim to change the experience of a car.
    I think he said that they will be available in 2019. They are pushing the envelop! byton.com
    Last edited by john l; 11-08-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Default Re: Have you seen the BYTON

I'm not sure what to make of it.... in some respects, it looks more like a cell phone, than a car.

Of course, start-up car companies don't exactly have a strong record of success. About the only one of note is indeed Tesla, and they've burned through nearly $4 BILLION worth of investor money so far (the supposed 'profit' they made in the most recent quarter is an accounting fiction).

When driving, I'm looking less for 'an experience', and more for transportation.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

I'm not sure what to make of the Byton experience concept. They sure are packing a lot of stuff into it. Level 4 autonomous at highway speeds is going to require some serious computing power. And that full dashboard screen appears to be a great distraction. I think level 4 means no driver required. A lot to digest. At first blush I thought the design was odd too! Kind of Audi meets Prius. A second look of computer screen and it looks a little better. Maybe Adi become more familiar with it, I will be able to absorb it all. It's hard to believe that these top caliber execs could be off course. They may be simply ahead waiting for others/me/you to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by john l View Post
    It's hard to believe that these top caliber execs could be off course.
    I'd say that history demonstrates that they can indeed be 'off course'.....

Consider DeLorean, Fiskar, Bricklin, Tucker, and dozens of others.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

k-byte-concept Page 003.jpg

K-Byte looks wierd with those oil filter cans just aft of the front wheels. Fully Autonomous Driving in 2019?

In watching the video they have a "gesture sensor" in the cabin, later in the video it shows folks using all kinds of gestures to make calls, appointments and drive I guess.

Not too sure that any pushrods are involved on this rig.

Thanks for sharing this John!
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Billy Currington

^ Style-wise that doesn't look very different from a UK Vauxhall Insignia. I would have expected something a bit more innovative.

It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

At least, like Tesla, they understand that not everyone wants an electric car that looks repulsive. Like a Leaf or a Prius. Ughhh!

It looks like the sensors for autonomous operation pop out when needed. Manufacturing in China is a really smart move for an automotive startup - a massive emerging market right out the factory gate, and relatively low setup costs. I reckon they will either fail spectacularly, or whip Tesla at their own game.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

And also China to Europe by rail! Volvo is already doing that! Shortens delivery time vs ship, is cleaner environmentally (will eventually be all electric rail) and reduces finance charges by 45 days.
    I thought the Byton didn't look that great initially. But the more I look at it, I think it looks better and may have a better appearance in person. There are many cars that haven't photographed well because the photographer wasn't able to capture the forms with light, shadow, angle but look much better in person. I reserve judgement on the appearance for now, but acknowledge that at first they don't appear to be a match for Tesla, Audi or BMW. But I suspect they are! My bet is that they will do well in ASIA and once they get manufacturing and sales going, may be ripe for a buyout by a Chinese or Japanese company. The SUV should be referenced in comparison to the Jaguar I-Pace or Tesla X.

Byton are actually slicker than they first seem if you study the fotos. Sure there are heaps of historical ego driven auto failures, but that is no secret to anyone, even those venturing into the same territory. That's why I think this effort may be different. I can't explain it, but I don't think founders and investors would fall for the type of effort that was a Delorean or Tucker once again. But, you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I'd say that history demonstrates that they can indeed be 'off course'.....

Consider DeLorean, Fiskar, Bricklin, Tucker, and dozens of others.
    I'm not sure I'd include Tucker on that list. Had the SEC not shut him down I think he would have succeeded.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi