Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Acosta barred from WhiteHouse

Default Re: Jim Acosta barred from WhiteHouse

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Why do you reds love being lied to?
    Easy one. Blatant lies, then demonising the media from pointing out the untruths, allows more blatant lies to follow. Eventually you get submerged in lies so deep, conspiracy theories so arcane, a view of non-trust between people and state and news and sources, Trump wakes up one morning looking exactly like Mussolini.

He's 90% there already. He's got the blustering blowhardiness off to a tee.

You wait.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Just a by the by. I watched the video, and anyone who says an attack or assault happened, on either side, has political blinders on. A minor tussle over a mic. does not assault make! Let both sides tone down their rhetoric.

As to the rest of it...personalities like Acosta's and Trump's are bound to come to loggerheads. I would like to see the press display some respect for the office, regardless its member's feelings about the man who currently holds it.

The cry "HE STARTED IT!", is the complaint of petulant children. I mean, com'on folks.
    So many questions, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie
    So you're into recycling Tom?
    No.

But we are witnessing that you are what you eat.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    I would like to see the press display some respect for the office, regardless its member's feelings about the man who currently holds it.
    Are we discussing the same thing?

I strongly suspect that all the media respect the office, and many are offended by the current incumbant's lack of respect for that same office.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

THE MEDIA IS THE ENEMY!Trump

Wow, the respect is JUST nonexistent! Respect is a two way street Ish!If you show respect, you'll get respect in return!

Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    Just a by the by. I watched the video, and anyone who says an attack or assault happened, on either side, has political blinders on. A minor tussle over a mic. does not assault make! Let both sides tone down their rhetoric.

As to the rest of it...personalities like Acosta's and Trump's are bound to come to loggerheads. I would like to see the press display some respect for the office, regardless its member's feelings about the man who currently holds it.

The cry "HE STARTED IT!", is the complaint of petulant children. I mean, com'on folks.
    A less than realistic appeal for comity when the president has targeted the press as the enemy. Jack you can play devils advocate all you want but it’s the Press’s job to hold gov’t actions to light, if you don’t have the backbone to hold the POTUS accountable it doesn’t mean everyone else has to waffle around ignoring the elephant in the room.

After consulting with his Saudi investors, Trump may ask Acosta to come back to the White House to fill out some paperwork.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-08-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    What a putrid excuse for a human that two scoops is.
    same might be said for at least one 'colourful' participant here.

And Jack, the incumbent shows no 'respect for the office'.

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Sarah Huckabee Sanders is a lying sack of sh!te like everyone in this administration

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...box=1541685293
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

New Rules!

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Are we discussing the same thing?

I strongly suspect that all the media respect the office, and many are offended by the current incumbant's lack of respect for that same office.

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    New Rules!
    1. When a verifiable lie is pronounced from the White House Press Secretary or the POTUS, surely they are bringing the office of the President into disrepute?
    2. When this is happening on a regular basis and as a deliberate strategy, do the checks and balances built into the political system begin a process of accountability? The press have a duty enshrined in the constitution to remain vigilant in calling out lies, be they from the Right or the Left. A blatant strategy of lying to the people of America should be confronted if democracy is to remain functional.
    3. When these lies are approved by supporters of a political perspective they are intended to serve and confronted by supporters of an opposing political perspective we have the polarisation we see here.
    4. The problem becomes very serious when the press are co opted to "political sides" as FOX has so obviously become. Then the accountability role of the press is compromised.........

CNN are arguing that they are fulfilling their role, while Trump has been vilifying "the press" and manipulating his base into seeing the press as partisan with the result of shutting them down and weakening their effectiveness as a check and balance......
    America is in deep doo doo
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

when a verifiable lie is announced by the Press Secretary...
    She should certainly make sure she and her children should have Secret Service protection.

Because, New Rules!

The lies are verifiable!

Because, we say so!

Time to bring out the good book.......

The BBC doesn't like Acosta on this one. They're right.

https://www.bbc.com/news/46147166?oc...alflow_twitter

On some level I'm looking forward to the day when the pendulum swings and all of the new rules, all of the conduct now normalized by the "resistance" is turned around and brought to bear on the Democrats and their representatives.

I don't think they're going to like being made to play by their own rules. They never are.
    The pendulum has swung as far as it is going to, in the direction of your ugly, Fascist fantasy.

It has begun to swing back, and you’re not going to like it.

The schadenfreude is delicious.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Rattling the teacups.

from your above linked article:
    "Pull him up for his lies, yes. But not for wanting to widen the conversation."
    and......

"What worries me is the wider question of how Trump and the media interact.
    When you watch the US morning shows - and evening shows come to that - what you notice is how things have changed.
    Even those who were not originally taking sides are now nailing their colours to the mast. Fox and MSNBC have always played to their own bases. But now CNN, too, has editorialised its evening slot with Chris Cuomo - who gives us an essay, a comment piece, on whatever is getting him fired up."

now in the light of my post #48 ......

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    1. When a verifiable lie is pronounced from the White House Press Secretary or the POTUS, surely they are bringing the office of the President into disrepute?
    2. When this is happening on a regular basis and as a deliberate strategy, do the checks and balances built into the political system begin a process of accountability? The press have a duty enshrined in the constitution to remain vigilant in calling out lies, be they from the Right or the Left. A blatant strategy of lying to the people of America should be confronted if democracy is to remain functional.
    3. When these lies are approved by supporters of a political perspective they are intended to serve and confronted by supporters of an opposing political perspective we have the polarisation we see here.
    4. The problem becomes very serious when the press are co opted to "political sides" as FOX has so obviously become. Then the accountability role of the press is compromised.........

CNN are arguing that they are fulfilling their role, while Trump has been vilifying "the press" and manipulating his base into seeing the press as partisan with the result of shutting them down and weakening their effectiveness as a check and balance......
    America is in deep doo doo
    Can you response to this.....?

Why bother? You agree with CNN; I clearly don't.

Obviously I have a problem that the President's press secretary needs Secret Service protection for her person and children because elements of the Left have threatened her safety as punishment for lying.

Once again, I suggest the Left will not like being made to live by their own rules.

Why bother? You agree with CNN; I clearly don't.

Obviously I have a problem that the President's press secretary needs Secret Service protection for her person and children because elements of the Left have threatened her safety as punishment for lying.

Once again, I suggest the Left will not like being made to live by their own rules.
    Nah, not good enough by a long shot!

This one:

"Why bother? You agree with CNN; I clearly don't."

Is a total cop out. I don't agree with CNN. It's not the issue at all. Its a red herring. This is not about You and Me being opposite politically.......

This one...

" Obviously I have a problem that the President's press secretary needs Secret Service protection for her person and children because elements of the Left have threatened her safety as punishment for lying."

.......is a cherry picked excuse for not answering the question I have posed in my comments.

And this one:

"Once again, I suggest the Left will not like being made to live by their own rules"

......sounds like a sort of revengeful threat!

To me it seems you don't want a healthy functioning democracy for your country, however if you get what it seems you want, there will be nothing to protect you or your side when democracy is no longer functioning and those in power decide you are no longer needed................ then the prospect of this statement.....

"Once again, I suggest the Left will not like being made to live by their own rules"

will be the one you will have turned on your self with devastating consequences you seem incapable of imagining.

They don't like Trump either.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Huckabee lies saying Acosta “ placed his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a WhiteHouse intern”

https://mobile.twitter.com/ParkerMol...91690379374592

Not a lie, just a mistaken description. He actually placed his forearm on her arm and pushed it down so she couldn't take his mic

Acosta has heard the old saying, "The press is the 4th branch of government" so much he apparently believes it. He thinks he is as important as the president, and he is PO'd because Trump and the public do not agree. He is incensed over "fake news" and "enemy of the people." He is furious that anyone would dis the Holy Righteous Press in such a manner.

I wonder at the tactic of putting an inexperienced young woman in that position at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Looked fair to me given the high level of violent aggression the Trump aids are ordered to bring to these press events.
    Yessiree, Bob. That was one violent young lady...

I reckon Sobel has earned one of these as well…..

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Video footage is often slowed to allow a viewer to see what is unclear at normal speeds. It is done all the time -- including by TV networks.

This reminds me of all the Trump haters who posted a campaign video purportedly showing Corey Lewandowski "violently grabbing" Michelle Fields' arm. She even tweeted out the bruises on her wrist and forearm, pooah widdle Michelle. But what the video shows is somebody grabbing the fabric of the upper arm of Fields' blazer. You can't even tell whether it's Lewandowski's hand or someone else's. The clencher -- Fields has made similar allegations about others.

Re: Acosta, what I've seen on another forum is a very short clip of the press briefing incident in slow motion -- the whole clip, slow motion -- which shows the intern reaching for Acosta's mic and Acosta's wrist coming down on her forearm and lowering it considerably.

I must say, coming from people who are apparently part of the community that believes women are strong and can do anything a man can do, I'm rather pleasantly surprised by the shows of chivalry toward the female White House aid.

Acosta DOESN'T belong in press room!

Quote Originally Posted by donsmarine View Post
    Acosta DOESN'T belong in press room!
    Nyet. Belong in.. gulag!
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

If someone, anyone, approached me while reaching for my face/neck I would also put my hand out reflexively to block them.
    And regrettably a "block" can be interpreted in many ways. I thought he handled that with grace and aplomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    If someone, anyone, approached me while reaching for my face/neck I would also put my hand out reflexively to block them.
    And regrettably a "block" can be interpreted in many ways. I thought he handled that with grace and aplomb.
    yeah but a forearm isn’t a hand. If Huckabee wishes to make a forearm and hand the same I guess one could make a shoulder and breast the same, or Central American migrants and Middle Easterners the same. An IRBM and an ICBM. It’s not lieing, it’s just that words are tricky. The mean different things so easily after they come out of one’s mouth. Trump doesn’t lie, it’s the words fault, or those divisive Liberals and their fraudalent voters from Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobell View Post
    Video footage is often slowed to allow a viewer to see what is unclear at normal speeds. It is done all the time -- including by TV networks.

This reminds me of all the Trump haters who posted a campaign video purportedly showing Corey Lewandowski "violently grabbing" Michelle Fields' arm. She even tweeted out the bruises on her wrist and forearm, pooah widdle Michelle. But what the video shows is somebody grabbing the fabric of the upper arm of Fields' blazer. You can't even tell whether it's Lewandowski's hand or someone else's. The clencher -- Fields has made similar allegations about others.

Re: Acosta, what I've seen on another forum is a very short clip of the press briefing incident in slow motion -- the whole clip, slow motion -- which shows the intern reaching for Acosta's mic and Acosta's wrist coming down on her forearm and lowering it considerably.

I must say, coming from people who are apparently part of the community that believes women are strong and can do anything a man can do, I'm rather pleasantly surprised by the shows of chivalry toward the female White House aid.
    Slowed down? Sure. This one was speeded up, to imply more force/ aggression. Nice try- but yer busted!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....