Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 140 of 237

Thread: Another multiple shooting today

  1. #106
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,850

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    What about those who aren't members of the guard or the military? Doesn't stop them when bringing up a well regulated militia?
    Well, what are the parameters of a well regulated militia? Perhaps that needs to be defined?

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    Its not a need because you have no NEED to be in the bush. Aside from that, being out there is not healthy as a couger may get you and the gov needs to mandate due to the fact it covers your health bill, you stay out of the bush.

    Ah yes, I hadn't considered the twisted illogical logic

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    41,424

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    From this
    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    I'll all comes down to who is allowed to set the standard for "need". I don't do it for other people, and I don't like it much when they attempt to do it for me.
    To this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    I comply with the laws and rules of my society, but always question that which I see as illogical or unjust.
    Shifting ground or what?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    51,522

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    Well, what are the parameters of a well regulated militia? Perhaps that needs to be defined?
    National guard.

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,850

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    From this
    To this.


    Shifting ground or what?
    I dont see your meaning? He seems on point to me.

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Isle of Mull, Scotland
    Posts
    3,280

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Re. post #105
    Not even .22 in the UK, Nick.
    Had a friend who went target shooting at a club with a single shot .22 target pistol, and had to give it up.
    Much as I am for gun control, that was a bit extreme in my view.
    You need a licence for air guns now in Scotland, but not in England.

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,850

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    National guard.
    Id have a hard time arguing that, but until that is put into the constitution, its not there.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    The only difference then is that the UK has decided no short barrelled guns modern guns (over .22 I think). Log guns are OK if no more than three cartridges, two in mag and oner in breech, so you are not so far in your level of responsibility as the UK and far more responsible than the ammosexuals posting on here.
    As I said, I comply with the laws. Having said that, if we were allowed to carry pistols here, I wouldn't see the need, other than when hunting. If I lived south of the border I likely would. Many Canadians apply for and receive carry licences for when they spend time down south.


    Im still curious as to your answer to my antique question

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    From this
    To this.


    Shifting ground or what?
    Not in the slightest. I comply with laws, but make my views known. I don't make choices for other people, and say nothing unless their decisions affect me

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    30,671

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    So to bring this all scarily home, the end of last month Renee & I went to a fun burlesque show that her highschool friend was promoting. He lives in LA and he's a musician / actor/ promoter. Super nice guy, lots of fun, and a sweet hearted man.

    Renee just called me to tell me - HE WAS THERE LAST NIGHT !!!!!



    Lucky for him he set up and had to leave because of a bad asthma attack.

    Sh!t gets real fast.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    58,587

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    Its not a need because you have no NEED to be in the bush. Aside from that, being out there is not healthy as a couger may get you and the gov needs to mandate due to the fact it covers your health bill, you stay out of the bush.
    Need? Interesting term, very personal sleek.

    I had a friend, a guy who has done a lot of research on grizzlies. Wrote a book on them in fact. Many of the bears he photographs have cubs and, they can be nasty. I asked him whether he carried a gun? Yes, he said but, in 20 yrs on the bush, he's never come close to having to use it. Takes it like a third arm. As to cougars, how many deaths? There have been a few, a few people have been killed by a dog too. Do you carry a gun there?

    PS, cougar conflicts happen when cougar territory is usurped by human activity now and even though it happens, it is still rare. FEAR drives your need for a gun sleek, face it. Oh, there's a big rattlesnake, got your gun?

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,850

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Need? Interesting term, very personal sleek.

    I had a friend, a guy who has done a lot of research on grizzlies. Wrote a book on them in fact. Many of the bears he photographs have cubs and, they can be nasty. I asked him whether he carried a gun? Yes, he said but, in 20 yrs on the bush, he's never come close to having to use it. Takes it like a third arm. As to cougars, how many deaths? There have been a few, a few people have been killed by a dog too. Do you carry a gun there?

    PS, cougar conflicts happen when cougar territory is usurped by human activity now and even though it happens, it is still rare. FEAR drives your need for a gun sleek, face it. Oh, there's a big rattlesnake, got your gun?
    So, no mater how few lives are saved by having a gun, the loss of their life is better than lives lost because a killer used a gun? Its better people die because they cant defend themself than people die because a person decidwd to kill with a gun?

    Btw, shot a copperhead a month back.

    Sounds like you are deciding whos life maters and whos doesnt. And ypu make that decision based on if they agree with you or not. I will keep my guns thanks.

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    41,424

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    Well, what are the parameters of a well regulated militia? Perhaps that needs to be defined?
    Here is a learned discussion on that:
    In particular, the Second Amendment reconfirmed that even though the national Congress would have the primary responsibility for arming and organizing the state militias, the states could maintain their own militias, if Congress failed to do its job.
    <snip>
    The Second Amendment arose out of the conflict between Federalists and Antifederalists over those portions of the Consti- tution that dealt with the militia and the national army. But it was ultimately tied to the larger Federalist-Antifederalist conflict over the nature of the new government itself. 39. Letter from James Madison to Tench Coxe (July 30, 1788), in 11 THE PAPERS OF JAMES MADISON, supra note 25, at 210, 210; see also RUTLAND, supra note 12, at 301. 40. Letter from James Madison to Tench Coxe, supra note 39, at 210. CHICAGO-KENT LAW REVIEW II. THE CONSTITUTION, THE MILITIA, AND THE NATIONAL ARMY The framers in Philadelphia gave Congress and the president shared responsibility for the ultimate control of the militia. They also gave state governments important responsibilities and powers in organizing and training militias, while at the same time taking ultimate authority from the states. Article I of the Constitution gives Congress power to "declare War, '41 "to raise and support Armies, ' 42 to "maintain a Navy, ' 43 to make "Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces," 44 to "provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions," ' 4 1 and "to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia." 46
    <snip>
    a system of state militias, essentially organized and under control of the states, but subject to regulation by Congress and to "federalization" at the command of the president. Part of that regulation included the idea that the national government had the power-and the obligation-to provide arms for the local militias. 1 As Rufus King explained at the Convention, "arming meant not only to provide for uniformity of arms, but included authority to regulate the modes of furnishing, either by the militia themselves, the State Governments, or the National Treasury. ' 52 Thus, the defense of the United States would rely on both the state militias and the standing army.
    https://scholarship.kentlaw.iit.edu/...xt=cklawreview
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    41,424

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    As I said, I comply with the laws. Having said that, if we were allowed to carry pistols here, I wouldn't see the need, other than when hunting. If I lived south of the border I likely would. Many Canadians apply for and receive carry licences for when they spend time down south.


    Im still curious as to your answer to my antique question
    If it is a breech loading short gun capable of firing modern loads it is no different from a brand new hand gun.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Need? Interesting term, very personal sleek.

    I had a friend, a guy who has done a lot of research on grizzlies. Wrote a book on them in fact. Many of the bears he photographs have cubs and, they can be nasty. I asked him whether he carried a gun? Yes, he said but, in 20 yrs on the bush, he's never come close to having to use it. Takes it like a third arm. As to cougars, how many deaths? There have been a few, a few people have been killed by a dog too. Do you carry a gun there?

    PS, cougar conflicts happen when cougar territory is usurped by human activity now and even though it happens, it is still rare. FEAR drives your need for a gun sleek, face it. Oh, there's a big rattlesnake, got your gun?
    Fear causes you to lock doors and not jump out of aircraft without a parachute. Fear is a chemical reaction in the brain saying "take heed!" Nothing wrong with fear if it's appropriate.

    One my my uncles was attacked and nearly killed by a cougar. Luckily he had a gun. Two kids from my old high school were attacked and hurt badly by Cougars years after I left. A cyclist was attacked not long ago up island and defended himself with his bike. Etc etc.

    If I am concerned about Cougars here, in the place that has more than any other place on the planet, who are you to tell me what I should or shouldn't be feeling?

  16. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    58,587

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    So, no mater how few lives are saved by having a gun, the loss of their life is better than lives lost because a killer used a gun? Its better people die because they cant defend themself than people die because a person decidwd to kill with a gun?

    Btw, shot a copperhead a month back.

    Sounds like you are deciding whos life maters and whos doesnt. And ypu make that decision based on if they agree with you or not. I will keep my guns thanks.
    You win sleek


  17. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    30,671

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    28056226_10157000340139691_7302298077981399990_n.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    So, no mater how few lives are saved by having a gun, the loss of their life is better than lives lost because a killer used a gun? Its better people die because they cant defend themself than people die because a person decidwd to kill with a gun?

    Btw, shot a copperhead a month back.

    Sounds like you are deciding whos life maters and whos doesnt. And ypu make that decision based on if they agree with you or not. I will keep my guns thanks.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  18. #123
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    If it is a breech loading short gun capable of firing modern loads it is no different from a brand new hand gun.
    I agree. But legally I can carry one, and not the other. Is one more dangerous? Am I more dangerous with a pistol of any description on my hip than a .338 win mag rifle in my hand? There are quite a few people carrying these guns in the bush. There are quite a few criminals carrying pistols in cities here, and yet gun deaths are few and far between.

  19. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    41,424

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    I agree. But legally I can carry one, and not the other. Is one more dangerous? Am I more dangerous with a pistol of any description on my hip than a .338 win mag rifle in my hand? There are quite a few people carrying these guns in the bush. There are quite a few criminals carrying pistols in cities here, and yet gun deaths are few and far between.
    I expect that guns lying about unsecured and loaded in homes and motor vehicles are also few and far between. Yes?
    How many penis extensions do you see when out shopping?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  20. #125
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,850

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I expect that guns lying about unsecured and loaded in homes and motor vehicles are also few and far between. Yes?
    How many penis extensions do you see when out shopping?
    Only my own when trying on new thongs

  21. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I expect that guns lying about unsecured and loaded in homes and motor vehicles are also few and far between. Yes?
    How many penis extensions do you see when out shopping?
    More guns out than you'd guess.

    Very few penis extenders. Mostly silicone implants. Of course, if you are making a comment on those idiots that carry rifles into K-mart rather than products to assist the less well endowed (shall we start calling them "trumps"?), we see none here at all. Legally, I can walk down a city street with an unloaded, but not loaded rifle, and walk into a store with it, but it would cause public consternation, and I see no value in that, and neither do any other gun owners here.

  22. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    41,424

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    More guns out than you'd guess.

    Very few penis extenders. Mostly silicone implants. Of course, if you are making a comment on those idiots that carry rifles into K-mart rather than products to assist the less well endowed (shall we start calling them "trumps"?), we see none here at all. Legally, I can walk down a city street with an unloaded, but not loaded rifle, and walk into a store with it, but it would cause public consternation, and I see no value in that, and neither do any other gun owners here.
    Just so.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  23. #128
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    58,587

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    More guns out than you'd guess.

    Very few penis extenders. Mostly silicone implants. Of course, if you are making a comment on those idiots that carry rifles into K-mart rather than products to assist the less well endowed (shall we start calling them "trumps"?), we see none here at all. Legally, I can walk down a city street with an unloaded, but not loaded rifle, and walk into a store with it, but it would cause public consternation, and I see no value in that, and neither do any other gun owners here.
    And one or two gus are never enough!

  24. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,850

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    So, feeble grandma gets attacked by a bad dude. Grandma should or should not have a gun to defend herself?

  25. #130
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    30,671

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    Id have a hard time arguing that, but until that is put into the constitution, its not there.

    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  26. #131
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    15,257

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    You win sleek

    It only takes one gun for that. A colt peacemaker will do a number on a human head. Did I mention it’s been a rough summer?

    Peace,
    Robert

  27. #132
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    58,587

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    So, feeble grandma gets attacked by a bad dude. Grandma should or should not have a gun to defend herself?
    Probably grandma is too afraid to use it and can't hit a barn door if she did.

  28. #133
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    41,424

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    So, feeble grandma gets attacked by a bad dude. Grandma should or should not have a gun to defend herself?
    Bad dude takes gun off feeble grandma, hits her over the head with the butt and goes on to use it to commit several more crimes including several shootings.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  29. #134
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    30,671

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    It only takes one gun for that. A colt peacemaker will do a number on a human head. Did I mention it’s been a rough summer?

    Peace,
    Robert
    As indicated above I came marginally close to having someone I met involved in last night's action. I can't imagine how your family is dealing with what happend to you and yours. My heart goes out to you far more than thoughts and prayers.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  30. #135
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,850

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Bad dude takes gun off feeble grandma, hits her over the head with the butt and goes on to use it to commit several more crimes including several shootings.
    So she should be defenseless because she may not be effective in her own defense, so you keep her from having any chance at all and guarantee her to be defensless?

  31. #136
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    58,587

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    It only takes one gun for that. A colt peacemaker will do a number on a human head. Did I mention it’s been a rough summer?

    Peace,
    Robert
    Sorry about that cartoon, didn't realize you were still lurking. You've said what's happened in your life and I should have taken that into account. Wanted to make a point about what I thought about arguing with sleek. My deeepest apologies!

  32. #137
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    15,257

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    As indicated above I came marginally close to having someone I met involved in last night's action. I can't imagine how your family is dealing with what happend to you and yours. My heart goes out to you far more than thoughts and prayers.
    Thanks, Yo. It is what it is, you know? Every day is easier. Halloween sucked. Especially for the older kids.

    I still have not, at all, addressed the two suicides of the summer. Those are hard. I’m ignoring them until I get some alone time on a boat after softball. Then, I imagine I’ll spend some time getting dust in my eyes...

    The sudden death of suicide is somehow easier to take than a sudden murder, though. In the former case, there’s reason to believe some suffering has ended. In the latter, the suffering has only just begun.

    There is a reason I love everyone and endeavor to make every day the best I can, for myself and everyone around me.

    Today may be my last, and I want my last day to be well lived.

    Peace,
    Robert

  33. #138
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,850

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    It only takes one gun for that. A colt peacemaker will do a number on a human head. Did I mention it’s been a rough summer?

    Peace,
    Robert
    Dont dwell and go into depression man. You keep posting like that, and im gonna worry about you.

  34. #139
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    United States of Stupid
    Posts
    10,622

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    So, feeble grandma gets attacked by a bad dude. Grandma should or should not have a gun to defend herself?
    Most grandmas don't have the physical ability to responsibility discharge a firearm never mind drive a car. I've certainly heard the story's of old folks protecting themselves with a firearm but the number is far too little to justify the balance of innocent people dying from gun violence and suicide. Hell, a boy used his grandfathers gun to kill his grandmother for giving a crap and teaching the kid some responsibility. Why was that gun available?

    I'd like to see the numbers of old folks who die by their own gun via suicide vs those that successfully defend themselves with it . . . oh, wait, the CDC is prohibited from studying such things. But then, maybe old folks need that way out because our country is not interested in taking care of them.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

    ~C. Ross

  35. #140
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Baltimore Maryland
    Posts
    11,356

    Default Re: Another multiple shooting today

    Here another wacko gained the fame he desired at his death.....at the expense of so many innocents.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •