Thread: The right paint over epoxy

Default The right paint over epoxy

In my previous boatbuilding in the US I used oil-based Rustoleum marine paint directly over two coats of epoxy, with good results. Now I'm building my third boat here in Greece, the epoxy supplier tried to talk me into using a special primer (polyurethane I think) and epoxy paint. Is there any reason to listen to them? I'm not sure I can find marine grade oil paint but there are plenty of good exterior ones. The boat will not be spending much time in the water between outings.

Default Re: The right paint over epoxy

No - don't listen to them. Unless they have some sort of proprietary knowledge about the epoxy that makes it atypical. Epoxy itself is an excellent primer. Just let it cure well, scuff it lightly, and paint. I've painted over epoxy with water-based paints (enamels of various gloss), oil-based paints (porch & deck paints, single-pot polyurethanes, etc.), and catalyzed paints (2-pot polyurethanes from Interlux, Epiphanes, Sherwin-Williams, Miller, PPG, Dupont, and more). Zero problems to date.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I agree with David and I will add that the epoxy surface must be well sanded in order to create a mechanical bond since there is no wood grain for the paint to soak into for bonding.
    jay

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I like to use an epoxy primer/under coated (interlux 404/414). It goes on like paint. It sands easier than straight epoxy. It has no blush. It is not nessesary, but makes a better job, especially if your final coat is trying to be a fine yacht finish.

Petit Skip Sand worked for me on epoxy...it leaves a tacky surface for the paint to grab. I epoxy resin coated a 30' wood hull and used the skip sand for prep under International oil base. No blush prep was required with this stuff.