Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobody is above the law! Time to protest

Default Nobody is above the law! Time to protest

Well it looks like tomorrow is the day. Lots of folks will be protesting tomorrow afternoon at 5pm. Click the link to see where you can join in protest tomorrow, Thursday, November 8th at 5pm.

Progressive organizations have announced coordinated protests to take place in cities and communities nationwide on Thurdsay, November 8th at 5 PM (local time) in the wake of President Donald Trump's firing of Attorney General Jeff Sessions.Right after Trump forced Sessions to resign, the White House announced that Matthew Whitaker—a DOJ official who has shown open hostility to the probe by Special Counsel Robert Mueller—would now serve as acting AG and be put in charge of the ongoing investigation.
    "Trump just put someone who has openly trashed Special Counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation in charge of it," Robert Weissman, president of Public Citizen, one of the advocacy groups behind the rapid-response demonstrations, explained in an emergency email Wednesday evening. "Trump thought that by waiting until after the polls closed on Election Day, our voices would be silent. He was wrong."
    Anna Galland, executive director for MoveOn.org, said: "This is a red line crossed, an attack on rule of law."”

Default Re: Nobody is above the law! Time to protest

Nobody is above the law? Who are you, Rip Van Winkle?
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

I'm on that e-mail list too. Seems to me they're jumping the gun. God knows what will happen tomorrow, though.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Al Franken grilling Jeff Sessions seems a lifetime ago.

Democrats are silly. They pulled out all the stops to prevent his confirmation. Now they take to the streets to protest his firing.

What a bunch of crazies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post

Democrats are silly. They pulled out all the stops to prevent his confirmation. Now they take to the streets to protest his firing.

What a bunch of crazies.
    Bluey, you’re funny! Of course you know no one is protesting Sessions being sacked.

No one is celebrating that racist homophobic lying right wing totalitarian. But Sessions has been fired for his one act of genuine compliance with the law. By law, he could not participate in any way in an investigation into campaign activities of a campaign in which he participated. Sessions recused himself when he got the hard word from the DoJ ethics people. Trump respects that law about as much as he respects the law that makes his interim appointment of Whitaker unlawful.

So where were all you guys who are so concerned about law in 2008 ? When Obama was in the White House and had full control of the DoJ ? When Eric Holder spent 1,000 times as much effort busting a few dope dealers than he did on massive bankster fraud ? Wall Street in collusion with Timothy Geithner and Ben Bernanke ripped off the country to the tune of several trillion dollars but I didn't hear a murmur from any of you.

Why does it seem like you don't actually give a rat's behind about "law" ?

Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    So where were all you guys who are so concerned about law in 2008 ? When Obama was in the White House and had full control of the DoJ ? When Eric Holder spent 1,000 times as much effort busting a few dope dealers than he did on massive bankster fraud ? Wall Street in collusion with Timothy Geithner and Ben Bernanke ripped off the country to the tune of several trillion dollars but I didn't hear a murmur from any of you.

Sadly, many believe the rule of law does actually work, and not actually meant for the little people only. Global financial crisis of 2008/9 caused by fraud, no major convictions, and the laws that were in place supposedely to prevent that from happening, have been removed, making what was illegal....legal. Nobody above the law? Right..........

It may have been possible to jail a dozen or 3 bankers, nobble wall street, cause several large banks to fail………… and then what?
    Yes they deserved to be jailed, they do not deserve to retain their jobs, but when you look for the skills to actually do the job they are in fact te most qualified. The biggest failing since is that they have been allowed to just go on as if nothing untoward had happened.
    And again I doubt whether either major would have behaved differently.

what about...

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    It may have been possible to jail a dozen or 3 bankers, nobble wall street, cause several large banks to fail………… and then what?
    Exactly. I am too important to be bothered with those silly law things, nanner nanner ...

Ergo, law is a joke, a farce.

But we're all equal, right ?

btw, "qualified" ? Qualified to do what, steal trillions of dollars ?

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Fallacy: One evil justifies another, one mistake justifies another, 'but what about . . . .'

Whatever should have been done ten years ago, that's utterly irrelevant to Trump, Mueller, and what should be done now.

You convinced me. I'm going to the protest today in St. Paul.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

I'm going to the protest in Traverse City.

Jeff C

Take photos and post them here.

Will do. It'll be getting pretty dark by the time it starts, though.

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Fallacy: One evil justifies another, one mistake justifies another, 'but what about . . . .'
    Hypocrisy: When your guy does it, "There was no one better qualified, we couldn't allow the law to damage our bank accounts !"

When the other guy does it, "No one is above the law ! We must protest this vile action !"

Whatever should have been done ten years ago, that's utterly irrelevant to Trump, Mueller, and what should be done now.
    It's totally relevant. It shows exactly what you are.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

on the border, yup it must be tough trying to make more money screwing people!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Take photos and post them here.
    will do!
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

You do know Bush was president in 2008 and signed tarp in early October.

Hypocrisy: When your guy does it, "There was no one better qualified, we couldn't allow the law to damage our bank accounts !" When the other guy does it, "No one is above the law ! We must protest this vile action !" It's totally relevant. It shows exactly what you are.
    Sorry, dude. First, I said nothing at all about the wisdom or foolishness of how the crisis ten years ago was handled - and whatever my opinion, there's nothing any of us can do about it now. Second, there are far worse faults than not objecting to all evils equally.

Defend Trump if you want. But trying to defend him by bringing up what you think were mistakes made in 2008? This is absurd. All we can do is try to deal with the evils of the present in the best way we know how. I'm off to the protest. It probably won't do much good, but it may do more good than what I was planning to do instead.

Richard Feynman

Laguna Beach - Nobody is Above the Law Sign up to Attend

Thursday, November 8 at 5 p.m.
    Hosted by Joe M.
    Main Beach, Laguna Beach
    Laguna Beach, CA 92651
    868 attendees

It's getting dark early, so bring a flashlight, if possible, layered clothing, protest signs (I will have a few), and a spirit to protest the potential firing of Special Counsel Robert Mueller. Trump fired Attorney General Jeff Sessions and installed one of his cronies. Elected officials and the people need to know how we are on a dangerous slippery slope veering towards authoritarianism. Trump will continue to obstruct justice. Hold Trump accountable. Join us tomorrow on Main Beach in Laguna Beach.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    You do know Bush was president in 2008 and signed tarp in early October.
    I should probably post a link,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trou...Relief_Program

We like to believe no one is above the law. In movies the bad guys always get caught. Same on tv.

Real life is not always the same.

Part of me thinks investigations should continue where they can, and indictments wait till Trump is out of office, especially if a Dem wins in 2020.

If I were running the DNC, I'd be inclined to put less public emphasis on the investigations and put efforts into passing legislation in the house.

Raise minimum wage, infrastructure, lower the cost of prescription drugs, a tax bill that actually helps the lower/middle class, etc..... Develop a record of popular bills the house, under Dem leaders passed. That would help Dems win seats in both chambers and, hopefully, the White House.

I do wish Mueller had subpoenaed Trump before the elections.

We are where we are. Senate is NOT going to convict, unless something absolutely bad surfaces, which, with today's GOP, still wouldn't convict Trump in the senate.

Ah, but once he's out of office, anything is possible.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

492F9EF9-E71E-4005-8AB1-F7564C2E69A2.jpg

Well over 100 people here. Not bad for TC

Jeff C

Heading out the door Now..
    The only way I have, legally to voice my stance.

Wife and I are with ya.

Sorry, can't make it to Laguna Beach, Sequim Home Depot will have to do.
    Last edited by paulf; 11-08-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post

What a bunch of crazies.
    Ain't it great? Folks who think, change with the times.
    PaulF

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Ain't it great? Folks who think, change with the times.
    Sessions saved his butt, from the Der perspective when he recused himself from the mueller investigation SB. Two resoundingly positive decisions appreciated by Democrats, he ever made; stomping on Trump and NOT following orders.

Here you go: in front of the capitol in St Paul. It was snowing; you can see it on the hat of the person in front of me. I'm not good at estimating crowd size; but I'd say maybe 1000 people, or a bit less? There were several others going on at the same time at various locations around the city.

(The upside-down 'Vote No' sign was recycled from something else; the lettering on the front was right side up)
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 11-08-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Richard Feynman

About 5-600 here in Portland. My daughter is pretty good at estimating crowd sizes. She used to do it for a job she had while in collage. They had a few people speak and we sang a couple of protest songs and chanted a little. Over in about 40 minutes.

14C8288C-A7E3-4647-9CB0-7BC28B4B723D.jpg

FB9BA132-3FA1-4383-A31F-7EFDA1956C80.jpg

Glad I went.

Good on you!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Perhaps it is required that protesters are white, grey-haired and middle aged or older.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment