Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about this Bicycle ?

Default What about this Bicycle ?

I miss riding, and I'm thinking of getting a new bike. Just looking on Amazon I came across this Colnago.
    Colnago C-RS ULTEGRA 6800

Price: $1,904.41 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 12.28.49 PM.jpg
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: What about this Bicycle ?

Please enjoy this short musical interlude chosen specifically for you while the experts research your question. Youíll be offered considered opinions on the subject presently.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

What frame material?

Evidently the depreciation on bikes is severe, I have found some good deals of late. There is a Titanium road bike across the state and he'll be coming to my town over the holidays, $550. (A bit too small for me or I would grab it, I've referred it to a friend who is a bit shorter.) Another one in Idaho, Ti with carbon rear stays, $750 OBO. These are bikes that retailed for well over $5000 new. And are still good riders. However both are 9 speed cassettes, which is fine for me, but others would want the latest stuff. Also the small one appears to be 650c wheels, I've asked. (He's selling for his daughter so is not knowledgeable, she was given the bike and it's always been too small for her.)

^^ I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night, awesome.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I miss riding, and I'm thinking of getting a new bike. Just looking on Amazon I came across this Colnago.

It does look sexy, you are approaching custom bike prices. You might need to ride one first.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

A few minor comments on the Colnago: I don't like radial front spokes, but that's the trend. I don't like cranks that only accept proprietary chainrings. I prefer the old spiders of 5 arms on 130mm bolt circle. The rear cogs need a clear spoke protector behind them, yes its not race-fashionable but prevent tearing up the spoke roots if the chain comes off inboard of the largest cog. I used to take mine off as soon as I buy the bike, now I know better. Never buy a bike without riding it, even if new, unless you can return it after a test ride. Key thing on that bike will be handling and ride, as you know those things vary a bit on road bikes. Were you looking for nimble criterium geometry, or more stable hands-off road geometry? I also like to make sure there is sufficient space for up to 32mm tires in case I want a better ride. On my road bike, to fit tires that were labeled 26 but ran larger, I had to file the slightest bit off the front derailleur arm for clearance, any larger would not fit.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

• Frame: Carbon Monocoque, QR dropout
    • Fork: Carbon Monocoque, straight blade, tapered

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Please enjoy this short musical interlude chosen specifically for you while the experts research your question. You’ll be offered considered opinions on the subject presently.
    Saw "Bohemian Rhapsody the other night - the Live - Aid Concert at Wembley was dead on recreation of the actual one. I have to say Ronnie Malik embodied Freddie Mercury

Donít do it.

Youíll never ride crampandslowgo again.

Those Shimano cranks are the stiffest Iíve ever pedaled. Period. Those RS80s are tough enough for whatever. The rim strength on these modern wheelsets is crazy. Any harshness from the radial lacing is more than compensated for my the fork. It looks brutal, but itís carbon. This bike will ride exactly like a colnago, but smooth and stiff at the same time.

Peace,
    Do It!

Nice specs, nice reviews, lots of cafe appeal, damn good price. Now all I need is to convince my wife I need a crit bike......

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Nice specs, nice reviews, lots of cafe appeal, damn good price. Now all I need is to convince my wife I need a crit bike......
    Every cyclist needs a crit bike. Emperor For Life said so.

Peace,
    Robert

My racing career was on this crit $h!t tour of Somerville

What about a pro deal? I bet you can make a call.

Are you planning on joining a group or riding team?
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Thatís 1200 bucks worth of parts and wheels.

Peace,
    Robert

Sounds about right for a $2k bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    What about a pro deal? I bet you can make a call.

Are you planning on joining a group or riding team?
    Those days are LONG LONG LONG gone. Please see my OLD BULL thread.

When I had my Basso my old riding buddy ( he still rides hard ) came out to SoCal and we rode the 1984 Olympic course and he just pulled away from me as I died I used to crush him. I have another riding buddy my age who lives in San Clemente and he still rides hard with a A+ group ride and he will absolutely destroy me. Again I used to be the better rider by far of those two guys, now I just suck wind

I’d like to get into biking and I’m hopeful that my new position may provide me with time to do so.

With my *ahem* advancing age, and manageable back condition, I’d like to see if this can find its way to my garage this spring.

Last edited by Beowolf; 11-07-2018 at 08:20 PM.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Those days are LONG LONG LONG gone. Please see my OLD BULL thread.

When I had my Basso my old riding buddy ( he still rides hard ) came out to SoCal and we rode the 1984 Olympic course and he just pulled away from me as I died I used to crush him. I have another riding buddy my age who lives in San Clemente and he still rides hard with a A+ group ride and he will absolutely destroy me. Again I used to be the better rider by far of those two guys, now I just suck wind
    you need to get on the saddle - it would a fantastic way to manage stress and new business. Begin with a good bike and work your way to what you want in the month and years to come. Your heart, lungs and legs will catch up. You underestimate where you can be just by doing. You can move up as you go. Besides the social aspect will do you good.

That seems to be an amazing price, we get stiffed in NZ. I can't find anything available directly in NZ from Colnago apart from bare frames ($6000 NZ for a C60) but a 3-year-old model (but brand new from the dealer) carbon Cervelo with 105 groupset is $4000 NZ, that's about $2700 US.

At those prices, there's no point in starting low and trading up, just get that bike and ride it. And unless you're going to race, there's no point in going to Dura-Ace, it's functionally the same as Ultegra, just lighter, but more expensive and breaks more easily.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Does it fit?
    Is the geometry right for what you want to do?
    Right material?
    Good components?
    Only you can answer

Saw "Bohemian Rhapsody the other night - the Live - Aid Concert at Wembley was dead on recreation of the actual one. I have to say Ronnie Malik embodied Freddie Mercury
    Rami (damned spellcheck) is wonderful
    Compare Freddie with this guy. Amazing performances.
    Michigan seems like a dream to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Does it fit?
    Is the geometry right for what you want to do?
    Right material?
    Good components?
    Only you can answer
    I'm nothing if not a insane researcher I found a local Colnago dealer that had a few sizes in stock at over $3,000. I took the Vespa down and I found out that I actually need a 48 cm sloping because the top tube slopes down. I usually take a 52 cm. The frame is Monocoque carbon which has been all the rage for years. It's light and stiff, the frame is light years away from what I used to ride, and it's not matte black like every other Monocoque.

The components are more than acceptable even though the crank looks like a teflon frying pan ( where is the old Campy jewelry ? ) They are mid range components but still miles better than anything model T like I rode The biggest complaint from reviews is weight but its 17 freaking pounds I used to ride sub 23 lb bikes. Now I just need to justify $2K to Renee Hey but FREE SHIPPING

I'm nothing if not a insane researcher I found a local Colnago dealer that had a few sizes in stock at over $3,000. I took the Vespa down and I found out that I actually need a 48 cm sloping because the top tube slopes down. I usually take a 52 cm. The frame is Monocoque carbon which has been all the rage for years. It's light and stiff, the frame is light years away from what I used to ride, and it's not matte black like every other Monocoque.

The components are more than acceptable even though the crank looks like a teflon frying pan ( where is the old Campy jewelry ? ) They are mid range components but still miles better than anything model T like I rode The biggest complaint from reviews is weight but its 17 freaking pounds I used to ride sub 23 lb bikes. Now I just need to justify $2K to Renee Hey but FREE SHIPPING
    Ultegra is NOT middle of the road. It is competition grade hardware.

Read up on that crank, spindle, and chainring. Like I said, itís stiffer than anything youíve ever ridden. The power transfer is phenomenal.

Peace,
    Robert

/\

Wot 'e said. It's second from the top of the Shimano range. Around here, at any rate, no one really cares what grade your gear is anyway - they're just interested in how you ride it. I used to race on a bike where the good stuff was Sora and no one ever mentioned it.

I knew a Cat 2 racer who rode an unpainted steel frame sprayed with clear coat. Universal 68 brakes.
    Good racer.

I miss riding, and I'm thinking of getting a new bike.
    I prefer electronic shifting and I am thinking about hydraulic brakes. I went to electronic shifting because my shift cables froze up if I did not ride for a couple days. My rear brake almost never works because of stuck cables.

But if you cannot keep up with your buddies, it is time for electric motors.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I prefer electronic shifting and I am thinking about hydraulic brakes. I went to electronic shifting because my shift cables froze up if I did not ride for a couple days. My rear brake almost never works because of stuck cables.

But if you cannot keep up with your buddies, it is time for electric motors.
    What era of bike do you have that the cables “get stuck”? I have never seen a stuck brake cable since the introduction of lined housing in the late 70’s. Before that the only stuck brake cables I saw were unlined house on girls/mixte frame where the rear cable housing was routed upwards from top tube to seat stay allowing water to run down the cable and rust. Even unlined housing with greased cables wouldn’t rust unless it was left outside for a year.

OMG! It's PLASTIC!!!!

DSC_0068.jpg

Steel is REAL!
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    What era of bike do you have that the cables “get stuck”? I have never seen a stuck brake cable since the introduction of lined housing in the late 70’s. Before that the only stuck brake cables I saw were unlined house on girls/mixte frame where the rear cable housing was routed upwards from top tube to seat stay allowing water to run down the cable and rust. Even unlined housing with greased cables wouldn’t rust unless it was left outside for a year.
    New enough that I should not have a problem. But I do. Even with lined housings.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    New enough that I should not have a problem. But I do. Even with lined housings.
    Then there is a problem. A serious problem. I would inspect the brake caliper.

Wait, is it one of the bikes with internal cable routing? That is always bad. Always.

Peace,
    Robert

Did somebody say internal cable routing?

Just started building this hot rod up last night...

Remember back when this bike was the one you wanted.

1982_schwinn_varsity.jpg

Or this one if you dreamt of being competitive.

vintage-steel-bikes-gear-patrol-2-bianchi.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-08-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post

Luckily tri bikes don’t need rear brakes that work. Seriously, Those u dear brakes are great and terrible. Is yours a cam, or a sidepull type? Also, is the front brake one of the fork integrated jobs, or a bolt on caliper?

Peace,
    Jealous You Can Achieve That Hip Angle, Still

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post

You can't be married or co-habituating if that space is other than a man cave.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    How do you know it’s not FOR his wife?

Really, the nanny wife schtick irks me.

Peace,
    Not Henry Youngman
    Very few of our better halfs would want a build happening in the living room even if it is for them.

Cheers,

Turk Henpecked

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Remember back when this bike was the one you wanted.

1982_schwinn_varsity.jpg

Or this one if you dreamt of being competitive.

vintage-steel-bikes-gear-patrol-2-bianchi.jpg
    I made a couple of decent city bikes out of Varsitys. Put 700c wheels with 35 mm tires. Upright bars. Got rid of the outer ring and ran the 13-34 on the rear. US had tariffs on all kinds of imported bicycle components in the 60’s that ensured Huffy and Schwinn could make crap bikes and they’d sell.
    I replaced the Huret derailleur on my 5 spd Schwinn Suburban with a Suntour and I was with Suntour unril they disappeared.

Bianchi must have been east coast.