Thread: Welsford Navigator Build, First Time Build

Default Welsford Navigator Build, First Time Build

Good afternoon to all of you fine folks

I have the plans in hand for a Welsford Navigator. I will start the build in earnest after February, 2019.

I live near Annapolis, Md. I have a source for the plywood to be used but I am unsure what I should use for the centerboard, rudder, etc. I was leaning towards white oak but have heard differing opinions on adhesion difficulties. Which species would be recommended for these items?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on starting some pieces of the build in my basement workshop before being able to start the hull in my garage.

Have a great day.

Chris

Default Re: Welsford Navigator Build, First Time Build

Make them out of the same plywood you make the hull out of. Laminate it up to the thickness needed. CB and Rudder are great things to get started on.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Hi Chris

Welcome to the Club!

I used oak on the centerboard case (I think the plans call for it) and I had no adhesion problems. The whole assembly is stoutly glued and screwed. I also used oak for the external stem, but on everything else I used douglas fir.

Happy to answer any questions you have. You should look up Slip Jig and Spartina - I think they're in your neighborhood.

Kenny

BTW, I started in my basement in February and I was able to get all the bulkheads done by the time it was warm enough to work outside.
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

We used solid cypress for our Penobscot 14 rudder blade and centerboard, there was nothing to glue. For the rudder yoke we laminated pieces of okume plywood together, it finished out nice. Have been very happy with the blades.

Here is a video to get you thinking about other bits you'll gather to outfit a small boat.

Good luck on the build!

Chris, Douglas fir is also a good choice or "eastern shore mahogany" AKA southern yellow pine would work as well. I still owe you some photos of the interior layout of "slip jig" and I'll try to get them this weekend. I'm less than an hour north of you so if you ever wanted to come up and look her over real well I'd be willing to oblige. She's in a garage so weather isn't a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by cgchris View Post
    Good afternoon to all of you fine folks

I have the plans in hand for a Welsford Navigator. I will start the build in earnest after February, 2019.

I live near Annapolis, Md. I have a source for the plywood to be used but I am unsure what I should use for the centerboard, rudder, etc. I was leaning towards white oak but have heard differing opinions on adhesion difficulties. Which species would be recommended for these items?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on starting some pieces of the build in my basement workshop before being able to start the hull in my garage.

Have a great day.

Chris
    Good luck with the build, have fun, and please keep in touch.
    Do, if you can, catch up with Kevin, looking over Slip Jig will be very helpful in your own build.

John Welsford

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Use what you like for the centerboard, but since the rudder is a bit of a showpiece I'd go for solid wood. I have had no issues gluing white oak with quality epoxy, and the G-flex product is supposed to be good for that also. Smith & Co make an "Oily Woods" epoxy and I think West does too, so you can use epoxy on woods that might have been questionable choices in the past.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.