Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Sessions resigns!

Default Re: Jeff Sessions resigns!

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    It is high time that an investigation into the Mueller probe be commenced, looking first to relevant conflicts of interest, probe expenditures, leaks, and the conduct of plea negotiations. Additional probes of the conduct of the FBI in the months leading up to the 2016 election should be commenced.

Comey, McCabe, Rosenstein and Strzok should get their measurements taken for their new wardrobe. Orange is looking good this season.
    Uh yeah, I’m down with that. Mueller’s a republican, appointed by a republican ag, who was appointed by a republican president and confirmed by a republican senate.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Uh yeah, I’m down with that. Mueller’s a republican, appointed by a republican ag, who was appointed by a republican president and confirmed by a republican senate.
    Paper towels required.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-Mi View Post
    Hooray!
    What do you have against Sessions?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Uh yeah, I’m down with that.
    Sure. Deep State "Republicans" are quite popular with the Trumpies, donchaknow

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-Mi View Post
    Would you please write an explanation of that and float if off in a bottle, in the hope that those stranded on an ideological island might someday get the message?
    A little inflamed rhetoric is fun now and again. Trump has no intention of being sold down the river by an invisible AG that failed to disclose his intention to recuse himself as to various matters. The Democrats will need to decide just how hard they want to push. There will be pushback.

Holding no candles for Sessions, but not having to work for a total a-hole must be a plus, eh?

Oh, and I bet Democrats will live to regret (much as they have the Reid Rule) the precedent set by Eric Holder in his decision to ignore subpoenas from House investigative committees. Trump and his officials should ignore all such subpoenas. They can have a contempt citation, just like Holder got.

A little inflamed rhetoric is fun now and again. Trump has no intention of being sold down the river by an invisible AG that failed to disclose his intention to recuse himself as to various matters. The Democrats will need to decide just how hard they want to push. There will be pushback.
    He didn't offer to recuse himself until after he was caught lying about meeting with Russians high in Putin's government.

Trump waited until after the election!
    Exactly. He needed to wait until McCain was gone, Flake, Corker. He needed to remove Collins and Murkowski (and now Romney, soon to be rehabilitated by Democrats) as spoilers to his AG pick, who is going to need to jump in swinging axe and mace.

No, the Red Wave washing over the Senate last night is a huge deal. That's why Trump campaigned so hard for it.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Exactly. He needed to wait until McCain was gone, Flake, Corker. He needed to remove Collins and Murkowski (and now Romney, soon to be rehabilitated by Democrats) as spoilers to his AG pick, who is going to need to jump in swinging axe and mace.

No, the Red Wave washing over the Senate last night is a huge deal. That's why Trump campaigned so hard for it.
    McCain wasn't gone! That false statement is as far I even bothered to read.

It is high time that an investigation into the Mueller probe be commenced, looking first to relevant conflicts of interest, probe expenditures, leaks, and the conduct of plea negotiations. Additional probes of the conduct of the FBI in the months leading up to the 2016 election should be commenced.

Comey, McCabe, Rosenstein and Strzok should get their measurements taken for their new wardrobe. Orange is looking good this season.

Hard to have a red wave when the house controls the purse strings, life just got tuff for Trump, he will get a bunch of judges, but also a ton of investigations about his administration's appointments and family. Also not only will Mexico not pay for Trump's wall you could see from space, neither will hard working Americans, round one Trump's phone records, round two Trump's money laundering for Russians, who knows after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    I think Donald Trump has a small penis.
    Isn't that part of a man?
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

The new New York State Attorney General promises to " shine a light" into every corner of our current president's business dealings. My feeling is that she will find some indictable stuff.

Meanwhile, I have every expectation that should the worse befall the Mueller investigation it will be picked up amd carried on by a newly Democratic House and state AGs in places like NY, CA, and WA.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

It makes political sense to axe Sessions after the election, especially when doing so before might have swayed voters into not giving Trump a majority in the senate. Now that he has like minded cronies firmly ensconced he feels he is good for at least two years. No matter how it plays out Trump will leave office with millions more due to foreign emoluments and any other corrupt schemes his cronies are helping to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    It makes political sense to axe Sessions after the election, especially when doing so before might have swayed voters into not giving Trump a majority in the senate. Now that he has like minded cronies firmly ensconced he feels he is good for at least two years. No matter how it plays out Trump will leave office with millions more due to foreign emoluments and any other corrupt schemes his cronies are helping to conceal.
    That and by doing so After the election when housecleaning is common and acceptable, no one on the left can scream foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    I think Donald Trump has a small penis.
    That's what Stormy said: she wasn't impressed.

He has an even smaller, and much harder, heart.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    How is it possible someone like you can support Trump, that absolute disaster of an excuse for a human being? What have you sold that allows you to do that? You can’t possibly think he is good for the country.
    The Donald upsets normal people to no end. Bluey likes that.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

So who’s marching Friday afternoon?

If Sessions is such a turkey then Trump is a fool for appointing him into the position. I still wonder how Reps can ignore the fact that if Trump has to fire and abuse so many of the people he appointed, he must be an incredibly poor judge of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    If Sessions is such a turkey then Trump is a fool for appointing him into the position. I still wonder how Reps can ignore the fact that if Trump has to fire and abuse so many of the people he appointed, he must be an incredibly poor judge of character.
    You mean you didn't realize Trump wasn't a fool before that?

Oh, come on........ it's been apparent for eons. The point is that it's hard to see how Reps can ignore the fact that the self-proclamed genius must be a poor judge of character when he has to sack so many of the people he appointed.

I didn't recognize the sarcasm, you're a formite I really didn't recognize Chris!.

Perhaps they think they are in line for a job? The more knocked off the top, the better.

If they can ignore his blatant lies, hypocrisy, ignorance, crudity, etc., etc. ad infinitum - why not ignore his tendency to never appoint anyone more competent than he is, and fire them if he happens to make that mistake?

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

A pickup of 1 seat with 3 still open is a Red Wave?

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    A pickup of 1 seat with 3 still open is a Red Wave?
    rip·ple
    /ˈripəl/

noun: ripple; plural noun: ripples

1. a small wave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Those millions won’t mean anything when that unspeakable POS is burning in hell.
    Rattling the teacups.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Or, your team could just burn down the Reichstag. Better visuals, and quicker.

In the light of the video the lame excuse that the reporter 'put his hand' on the woman attempting to take the mike is risible, the opposite is true. In the strict sense of the law she could be charged with common assault. Police use such small contact to lay that charge all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Or, your team could just burn down the Reichstag. Better visuals, and quicker.
    we are in a postmodern time; the Reichstag is now only metaphorical.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Here's Jonathan Chait this morning (source). Sky Blue's every post on this subject confirms what he says.

Trump Has Found His Roy Cohn in Matt Whitaker
    By Jonathan Chait

Before the forced resignation of Jeff Sessions as attorney general, it was possible, however optimistically, to dismiss Donald Trump’s authoritarianism as mere rhetoric and affect. It is not possible any longer. Sessions’s departure, and his replacement with Matt Whitaker, is Trump’s plan to corrupt the Department of Justice. It is the most dire threat to the republic since Trump’s election itself.

If you study literature of democratic backsliding, the frightening conclusion is that nobody has devised a system of laws comprehensive enough to guarantee the survival of a democratic government. Because there is always wiggle room in the execution and enforcement of the law, democracies rely on informal norms. One of those norms is the independence of federal law enforcement, without which, the ruling party could use the law as a weapon against its enemies while shielding itself.

Of course, presidents have the leeway to choose their own attorney general. It is mere tradition that dictates that the attorney general, once selected, operate at arm’s length from the president’s political interests. There is simply no doubt that Trump’s entire rationale for firing Sessions is his refusal to quash the Russia investigation, because he has not even bothered to conceal his motive. Trump has repeatedly lambasted Sessions for failing to “stop this Rigged Witch Hunt right now.” Sessions is an original Trump loyalist, an unusually committed believer in and effective implementer of the president’s ethnonationalist agenda on immigration and crime. Sessions’s sole failure (in Trump’s eyes) was having to recuse himself from the Russia investigation, and refusing Trump’s demands to reverse the decision. Corruption is literally Trump’s only motive for turning against him.

What’s more, he has frequently expressed the overarching ethos with which the Department should operate. Trump told the New York Times that President Obama’s attorney general, Eric Holder, covered up what Trump claims to be multiple serious crimes by Obama and that this is the correct way for him to operate. “Holder protected the president,” he said. “And I have great respect for that, I’ll be honest, I have great respect for that.” At other times, reaching for a more familiar example, he wished the attorney general would be “my Roy Cohn,” referring to the architect of Joe McCarthy’s notorious smears, who went on to mentor Trump.

Trump has every reason to believe that he has found his Roy Cohn in Whitaker. The archconservative new acting attorney general has run for office and appears to see his future in Republican politics. As a candidate, he publicly declared that judges should be “people of faith” who had “a biblical view of justice.” In practical terms, he has interpreted the biblical view of justice the way most of his fellow Christian conservatives do: a combination of stern, Old Testament punishments meted out to Democrats combined with New Testament forgiveness toward any sin by a Republican.

Whitaker has publicly attacked the FBI for failing to indict Hillary Clinton for using a personal email. He defended Donald Trump Jr.’s decision to meet with a Russian operative promising dirt on Hillary Clinton. He opposed the appointment of a special counsel to investigate Russian election interference (“Hollow calls for independent prosecutors are just craven attempts to score cheap political points and serve the public in no measurable way.”) Whitaker has called on Rod Rosenstein to curb Mueller’s investigation, and specifically declared Trump’s finances (which include dealings with Russia) off-limits. He has urged Trump’s lawyers not to cooperate with Mueller’s “lynch mob”:

And he has publicly mused that a way to curb Mueller’s power might be to deprive him of resources. “I could see a scenario,” he said on CNN last year, “where Jeff Sessions is replaced, it would recess appointment and that attorney general doesn’t fire Bob Mueller but he just reduces his budget to so low that his investigations grinds to almost a halt.”

More recently, having been installed in the Department of Justice, Whitaker has reportedly operated as a kind of White House spy to keep tabs on officials who might be suspiciously independent of Trump. Trump’s Chief of Staff John Kelly “has privately described [Whitaker] as the West Wing’s ‘eyes and ears”’ in a department the president has long considered at war with him,” the New York Times reported two months ago.

At his press conference this morning, President Trump reveled in the defeat of several Republican House candidates who had declined his “embrace.” He warned the incoming House Democrats not to investigate him or his administration. He is demonstrating the confidence of a man who believes he can reduce every political question, however indisputably wrong or corrupt his own position, into a partisan conflict. And in such a conflict he has every reason to believe he commands the loyalty of the party base, and his own party will join his side.

The federal government has awesome and terrifying legal powers, which have been held in check since Richard Nixon nearly shook them from their moorings. Republicans have ignored every warning sign of Trump’s designs on these powers. The one thing we can know for certain is that he will not stop here.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

The "resistance" has been waging this war since before Trump was sworn in. If people want to burn it all down, hey, let's get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    The good news is, only three more to go and the shows over!

The "resistance" has been waging this war since before Trump was sworn in. If people want to burn it all down, hey, let's get started.
    What's left of the Republican party already have. The election of Trump and his toadies is as predicted a direct attack on the integrity, polity and decency that at one time exemplified much of American politics. Anybody with eyes to see and a mind to contemplate will have had that underscored by Trump's lack of control yesterday. He was neither clever nor on point. Shame on his supporters.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

They have no shame Lew.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"