Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Jeff Sessions resigns!

Default Re: Jeff Sessions resigns!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Trump is terrified. He knows how much he has to keep hidden, and he's scared sh!tless he won't be able to anymore.
    Iím thinking heís afraid people will find out heís not an American Billionaire after all. Then thereís all that association with dirty money. And his tiny mushroom appendage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett
    The election of Trump and his toadies is as predicted a direct attack on the integrity, polity and decency that at one time exemplified much of American politics. Anybody with eyes to see and a mind to contemplate will have had that underscored by Trump's lack of control yesterday. He was neither clever nor on point. Shame on his supporters.
    His supporters are shameless.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

OK then guys! You're right. Shaming them isn't effective anyway. We'll get them again at the ballot box. That's the American way.

You know, maybe it's better to take it back in pieces anyway. It seems most of his peeps don't understand what a split congress means to Trump and his presidency so the reaction has been denial rather than anger, sturm und drang.

There will be fewer letter bombs and synagogue massacres if they don't realize things have changed.

By the way, Jeff Sessions is a ____________(fill in the blank). No love lost only the realization that in Trump land things never get better so there's worse to anticipate ahead.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Iím thinking heís afraid people will find out heís not an American Billionaire after all. Then thereís all that association with dirty money. And his tiny mushroom appendage.
    I think it's more serious than that, and much more specific. He can tolerate embarrassment, bluff his way through it. Whether it's active collusion with the Russians to influence the election, or clearly criminal financial dealings that would come out if someone looked into his tax records in any depth, or something we don't know about yet, I think there's something definite he's very, very worried about.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

The next AG???

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

But, Christie is a loser, Trump doesn't like losers!

According to the SC law wouldn't he also be required to recuse as well since he worked on the campaign which is why Sessions recused himself.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    According to the SC law wouldn't he also be required to recuse as well since he worked on the campaign which is why Sessions recused himself.
    A bit different I think, being on Trump's campaign does not say he met with the russians as sessions admitted doing. The thing this guy discussed was a serious hate for the investigation which should be cause. Getting rid of Mueller would be an example, you can' be blatantly biased about not being happy with the investigation and Mueller and then, given a perfect excuse for following through on it.Also, Trump knew his position, appointed him knowing he'd follow through.
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 11-08-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    OK then guys! You're right. Shaming them isn't effective anyway. We'll get them again at the ballot box. That's the American way.

You know, maybe it's better to take it back in pieces anyway. It seems most of his peeps don't understand what a split congress means to Trump and his presidency so the reaction has been denial rather than anger, sturm und drang.

There will be fewer letter bombs and synagogue massacres if they don't realize things have changed.

By the way, Jeff Sessions is a ____________(fill in the blank). No love lost only the realization that in Trump land things never get better so there's worse to anticipate ahead.
    Not if they don't turn up to vote, and not if gerrymandered electorates are allowed to remain, and not if State governments continue to be allowed to committ voter fraud, and for that matter not if political lies continue to be classed as free speech, not fraud.

Not a good lookout is it Lew?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    The next AG???

Dang Skip, Trump Is considering Christie. Cristies is a very patient follow, got to hand that to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    What do you have against Sessions?
    Another question Rick-Mi won't answer.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Because there is always wiggle room in the execution and enforcement of the law, democracies rely on informal norms. One of those norms is the independence of federal law enforcement, without which, the ruling party could use the law as a weapon against its enemies while shielding itself.
    This isn't a democracy, and we aren't obligated to rely on informal norms, but otherwise, bullseye.

It illustrates why it is an excellent thing that we aren't a democracy. In a democracy, there is no rule of law, apart from the will of the majority, which is unworthy to be called law.

A republic can turn its norms into law, which is not informal.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    The "resistance" has been waging this war since before Trump was sworn in. If people want to burn it all down, hey, let's get started.
    The perpetual war of the ambitious on the people's government is the backdrop of the Constitution. If you want a starting point, that would do. Of course the war is much older than that.

This is just another battle.

One of those norms is the independence of federal law enforcement, without which, the ruling party could use the law as a weapon against its enemies while shielding itself. -- Jonathon Chait

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    This isn't a democracy, and we aren't obligated to rely on informal norms, but otherwise, bullseye.

It illustrates why it is an excellent thing that we aren't a democracy. In a democracy, there is no rule of law, apart from the will of the majority, which is unworthy to be called law.

A republic can turn its norms into law, which is not informal.
    Eh, that old "this isn't a democracy" argument is simplistic and misleading. Of course the S. is a democracy. And a republic. They're not mutually exclusive. You're mistaking "democracy" to mean "direct rule of the people." But a representative democracy is still a democracy.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

In a democracy, there is no rule of law, apart from the will of the majority
    In other words, an absolute democracy? Like an absolute monarchy or absolute dictatorship?

Would you agree that the US (like all other democratic governments) is a constitutional democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    The next AG???

More important than defense - Trump wants Christie because of photo ops... Christie makes Trump looks trim.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

It illustrates why it is an excellent thing that we aren't a democracy. In a democracy, there is no rule of law . . .
    That is not the normal meaning of 'democracy'. Reminds me of a quote from Through the Looking Glass:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean- neither more nor less.""The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master-that's all."
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    More important than defense - Trump wants Christie because of photo ops... Christie makes Trump looks trim.
    That may be a picture from 2 years ago?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Eh, that old "this isn't a democracy" argument is simplistic and misleading.
    It was meaning of the term as used by the people drafting and ratifying the Constitution. The dangers of what they understood democracy to be is what the Constitution aims to protects us against. In that context, the term, as they used it, is indispensable. What justifies re-defining it?

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Of course the S. is a democracy. And a republic. They're not mutually exclusive. You're mistaking "democracy" to mean "direct rule of the people." But a representative democracy is still a democracy.
    Exactly. Still a democracy.
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 11-09-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    That may be a picture from 2 years ago?
    Christie polishing up his resume.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Let the fat shaming begin!

You blokes don't miss a trick. There's not a slippery slope you won't venture down.

Let the fat shaming begin!

You blokes don't miss a trick. There's not a slippery slope you won't venture down.
    let's go beyond fat shaming to also having a record of showing really really poor judgement. . .

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

...There's not a slippery slope you won't venture down.
    You oughta read your guy's tweets.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

That is not the normal meaning of 'democracy'. Reminds me of a quote from Through the Looking Glass:
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean- neither more nor less.""The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master-that's all."
    QUICK! To the Sorbell thread!
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

The President says he "doesn't know" Whittaker. Not a happy day for the acting AG.

Christie seems unlikely to me since he put Jared's dad in prison.

That's a celebration of fat. A lovely big, big body.

The stuff that guy stuffs in his face! What the hell is it?
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I think it's more serious than that, and much more specific. He can tolerate embarrassment, bluff his way through it. Whether it's active collusion with the Russians to influence the election, or clearly criminal financial dealings that would come out if someone looked into his tax records in any depth, or something we don't know about yet, I think there's something definite he's very, very worried about.
    Not necessarily. In his hyperbolic truthfulness/self narrative bs he can be afraid simply that the facts are thrown up for public view. His lifelong method of self-promotion is rendered completely impotent. People will see his finances and not his non-stop blather which is all important to him. I don’y think he has any sense of wrong doing to be revealed. If he channels Russian oligarchs money he’s just being a business man. Whether he knowingly facillitated laundering Russian oligarchs money is irrelevant, it’s business. If he hired fixers to intimidate, coerce or bribe others it’s ok, it’s business. Hey, you scratch my back I’ll scratch yours, it’s business. Pay off women? Hey, marriage is a business.
    It’s a mistake to attribute feelings to Trump your average person might have. I think he likes maintaining an edge of excitement in others about him and then when you expect him to show shame or embarassment he owns up and says “so what, I’m winning and you’re not”