Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the results

Default Re: the results

Looking good in Minnesota, if a bit preliminary. Seems like a Democratic governor, both Senators, all state officers.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Looking good in Minnesota, if a bit preliminary. Seems like a Democratic governor, both Senators, all state officers.
    Can I move in with you?
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

The House gets subpoena rights. Finally a check on that horrible man. Modest expectations are more easily exceeded and the House is all I'd expected. I'm pleased by the possibilities. Shame if Beto goes down, but the ship is turning there. Congrats Oz and Glen. Very depressing about Tennessee.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

NBC News is now calling that the Dems have taken the house.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Golly, the enthusiasm here is sky high. Think you blokes can hold it down a bit?

Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up!

Trump will not be pleased but of course it's not his fault.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Golly, the enthusiasm here is sky high. Think you blokes can hold it down a bit?
    Taking the House is very good news, but it's tempered by the knowledge that Donald Trump, that vile little man, is still in the WH. I'm hoping that the House committees makes Trump's life a living hell.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Republicans seem pretty happy. The Blue Wave did not materialize and Florida has come through, despite great fears. Senate control gets stronger. Appointments and confirmations continue. Superstars like Beto and Gillum go down in flames.

It's a pretty good night for Republicans.

It’s just beginning.

5CA58FFE-DF58-4B01-B5F4-A998CB19AE47.png

Republicans seem pretty happy. The Blue Wave did not materialize and Florida has come through, despite great fears. Senate control gets stronger. Appointments and confirmations continue. Superstars like Beto and Gillum go down in flames.

A good night for fascists, autocrats and traitors, you mean.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    That's another thing that's good for Republicans tonight. It just got a lot harder to get to 2/3. Mueller just got a lot less important tonight.

Like I said, it's a good night for Republicans.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I don't quite understand the call on Texas since so many large Blue counties are only partially reporting. I'm sure it's exit polling, but I just don't think that race is over yet.

Gonna be an ugly war in the Democrat Party, too.
    Let the internal strife begin! Leadership elections, committeeships, Nancy.

That's another thing that's good for Republicans tonight. It just got a lot harder to get to 2/3. Mueller just got a lot less important tonight.

And the spin begins.

That's true with respect to impeachment, but that has seemed unlikely for a very long time.

It is not true with respect to 2020. If Democrats are disciplined in how they approach subpoenas, life will be hard for Trump. If I were in charge, I'd focus only on his tax returns until they are released, and then pursue the many, many loose threads.

And the spin begins.
    Don't worry about the troll. Democrats are going to have good numbers in the House, and good results overall in gubernatorial races. The Senate was always going to be tough, but Democrats will have a much better map in 2020.

Jeff C

And an interesting time too!
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Billy Currington

Any else tuning in the Colbert show in a couple of minutes? It’s going out live tonight, not pretaped like usual.

The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I'm just saying I don't detect a celebratory mood here. That tells me that the hoped-for rebuke of Trump did not materialize. Voter engagement is as high as its been in a generation and everybody got something tonight, but somehow it's a bit of a letdown.

So why are y'all so deflated?

I'm just saying I don't detect a celebratory mood here. That tells me that the hoped-for rebuke of Trump did not materialize. Voter engagement is as high as its been in a generation and everybody got something tonight, but somehow it's a bit of a letdown.

Seems more sober than deflated, but surely those who oppose Trumpism were hoping for a bigger Blue Wave.

You’re not paying attention.

The governors races are where the real gains need to be. It's the only way to undo all the gerrymandering. 2020 is a census year, maps get redrawn due to it.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    The governors races are where the real gains need to be. It's the only way to undo all the gerrymandering. 2020 is a census year, maps get redrawn due to it.
    I'm trying to get a view of state legislature elections. They are slow to report.

The national elections are one thing, but will the composition of state legislatures change, and will they be pragmatic or ideological? What do the farm systems for national elections look like?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Seems more sober than deflated, but surely those who oppose Trumpism were hoping for a bigger Blue Wave.
    Sure, nothing wrong with hopining for more, but control of the House and lots of good gubernatorial results work just fine. There are 22 GOP Senate seats up for grabs in 2020. I like our chances there, and I'll be watching, popcorn in hand, as the indictments and subpoenas start flying in the weeks to come. The Trump crime family will have a tough time over the next couple of years.

Jeff C

Some good news in Wisconsin, were we kept Democratic Senator Tammy Baldwin from what I can see.

Very close on the governor--I'm hopeful that Scott Walker will finally get tossed out, but it'll be down to the wire on that, looks like. The Democratic challenger, Tony Evers, is ahead by about 0.5% right now with 83% of the vote in.

Edit to say: Evers leads by 717 votes, with 85% in.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 11-07-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

SB does have a point - Trump now has has a foil. His gets to show his honed chops when he has a someone like Pelosi a face that rural America despises. The locked up congress means he does not need legislative approval as he will do more by executive order. He will twist the system to make it appear it works for Trumpians. He also knows he can get McConnel to negotiate with the House to pass compromise bills that have little republican compromise. Corporations are the real winners tonight. No tax reforms for middle class. No progress on health care. Status quo on Medicare and social security. Like Reagan in 82 - Trump could ride this into running 6more years of National Trumpism.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Michigan voted marijuana in but North Dokata said no.

I'm trying to get a view of state legislature elections. They are slow to report.

The national elections are one thing, but will the composition of state legislatures change, and will they be pragmatic or ideological? What do the farm systems for national elections look like?
    Minnesota House flips from R to D. Any other state legislature results?

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Kim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk who was jailed in 2015 for declining to grant same-sex marriage licenses, lost her bid for re-election Tuesday.

Wisconsin looks likely to remain solidly R in both houses. I can't figure people out. You'd swear some of them must be relatively decent but then they prove you wrong by voting for the Trump party.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

^^ Jimmy, to a fellow she refused a license to, no?

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    ^^ Jimmy, to a fellow she refused a license to, no?
    It seems the person that you are referring to lost the primary. The winner might be another bigot, but said he would go by the law.

Walker is a colorless dullard with a perpetual look of stupidity on his face. His main political virtue is his obstinancy. That the good people of Wisconsin are not yet tired of him is a phenomenon that should be studied by political scientists. It is incredible to think that he was the flavor for 2020 until Trump came along.

Maine Senate goes blue.
    Last edited by SMARTINSEN; 11-07-2018 at 12:40 AM.
    Steve Martinsen