Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456 LastLast

Thread: the results

Default Re: the results

He's speaking, backing and filling and generally looking and sounding defensive, and beaten. At some point soon he will begin to sense the truth he's incapable of voicing.
    The excuses for losing the House are flowing.

He likes Oprah Winfrey. How sweet!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobell View Post
    Soon as possible, I hope.
    Hear, hear. Stand up for civility and bipartisanship. Country first!
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

He has just named and shamed a bunch of GOP "losers" who "refused the embrace". What a vindictive Richard.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    Now they are saying Tester won.
    If he's ahead percentage wise he appears to have. No word about a recount of anything to suggest he may not have.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    He has just named and shamed a bunch of GOP "losers" who "refused the embrace". What a vindictive Richard.
    Have you noticed that the sniffling is back?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Does that all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett
    I thought that word was spelled "sniveling."
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

The tax returns are too complex for people to understand. No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    I thought that word was spelled "sniveling."
    It is but, to err is human!

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    The tax returns are too complex for people to understand. No doubt.
    it'd be interesting to see how much debt he's in and to whom. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Fake news. Enemy of the people. Love Nancy, but Democrats suck. Great start.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    it'd be interesting to see how much debt he's in and to whom. . .
    Debt, what's that?

One small note...

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Trump won the night...
    Ed Rogers is channeling my outlook on it...

While Tuesday night was not a complete win for Republicans, there was no blue wave, either. By most measures, Republicans beat the odds of history and nearly everyone’s expectations, while Democrats were left disappointed as the fantasy of Beto O’Rourke, Andrew Gillum, Stacey Abrams and others winning fizzled. Not one new progressive Democrat was successful bursting onto the scene. It will take a few days to process the meaning of this year’s election returns, but the instant analysis is clear: Democrats may have won the House, but Trump won the election. As I always say, in politics, what is supposed to happen tends to happen. I predicted in August that the Democrats would take the House but that alone was not enough for most Democrats. As much as this year’s midterms offered an obvious opportunity to rebuke President Trump, little of what the arrogant Democrats and members of the mainstream media expected would happen actually did. So much of what they said turned out to be wrong that it will take a while before the significance becomes clear. And if the 2018 midterms prove anything, it is that Trump is standing strong while Democrats and their allies who thought Trump would have been affirmatively rejected are in fact the ones who have themselves been denied.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...=.20ce49de2f23

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    One small note...

Wheee!
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post

So does Mr. Ed.

Nosce te ipsum

Donald Trump endorsed 31 Republican candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives. 28 of them lost.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    One small note...

No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Donald Trump endorsed 31 Republican candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives. 28 of them lost.
    Not only endorsed some put held campaign rallies for them!

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Thats pretty interesting. Where did you find that?

I listened to Trump's wandering, low-energy press conference. I've never heard a man announce that he really won in such a beaten voice. If a high school football coach tried to justify a loss this way, you'd be wondering if he thought his job was in danger.

Did anyone yet mention that Colorado voted to end slavery? They are right on the cutting edge of society...

Any comments on the increasing divide between rural and urban voters. Seems to me that this election has just pushed the two groups even further apart.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Did anyone yet mention that Colorado voted to end slavery? They are right on the cutting edge of society...
    Did Trump come out against ending it?

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

There's some truth in his analysis but I think he misses some things.

Of course strong opponents wanted to see strong repudiation of Trump. Instead they got a solid win. What he misses is that this is not over in 2018.

The Democrats improved their farm system and get out the vote machine.

More importantly, Democrats made major gains in terms of wins and narrowing of margins especially in the Midwest.

Florida: In 2016, Trump won by 1.3 percentage points. This time DeSantis wins by 0.6 percentage points, Scott by 0.4. CNN's tally shows total votes for House candidates to be 3.575 million for Democratic candidates and 3.194 million for Republicans.

Ohio: Trump won by 8.6 percentage points. This time Democrat Brown wins by 6.2 points, Republican DeWine wins by 4.4 points.

Michigan: Trump won by 0.3 percentage points. Democrat Whitmer wins by 9.5 points, Democrat Stabenow by 6.6 points

Iowa: Trump won by 9.4 points. Republican governor Reynolds wins by 3.0 points, and three of four House seats switch from R to D.

Many more House races were close, with Democrats winning or coming close in districts where Trump got big margins in 2016. Democrats moved more centrist in this election, the Republicans further to the extreme right.

I think you can say fairly that the suburbs indeed had a blue wave and that Trump's Midwest base is seriously weakened. He now depends on the rural South and prairie West in 2020, which is not enough.

He made this election about immigration, and a showdown with a caravan which may or may not show up. Will he continue to beat that drum, or will he return to attacking the press, Mueller and Angry Democrats as we saw in his performance today?

Quote Originally Posted by Sobell View Post
    New waterfront property.
    For a decade or so. What's your point?
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    For a decade or so. What's your point?
    I didn't think she needed on?

I predict that Sessions will be gone very soon. With the increased Senate majority, spoilers like Collins and Murkowski have been defanged. Trump will have confirmed an AG with a spine and subpoenas will largely be ignored, just like they were when Eric Holder held the office.
    You certainly got the prediction right! We will see if there is any defanging, though I expect that Whittaker (being a Trump sycophant & not the "normal" next in line for the position) will toe the Trump line & do his best to subvert Mueller. IOW - being a Trump supporter means he is necessarily spineless - as T won't allow anyone with one.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I watched the Election results here last night and took note of something!!!
    Remember the Mass Shooting at a College campus ( I think it was last year) where huge numbers of students marched.
    They were carrying placards that said "I'm 18 and I vote".
    In last nights coverage, it was clearly shown that only 13%...(THIRTEEN PERCENT) of registered voters aged 18-25 voted.
    What happened to the other 87%...couldn't be bothered to get off there A** and go out and do their democratic duty and vote.
    I think it was Jefferson??? who said "You have your Republic if you can keep it".
    The next time there is a mass shooting at a College Campus, and there will be....
    All your young folk need to look in the mirror and know that is the person to blame.
    They had the chance to vote for the change they marched for....and DIDN'T do it.
    Gun control changes.....it'll never happen!!!
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

And most of 'em Republicans...

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I didn't find Tom's, but this looks interesting.. esp (for me) Sanders' success..

Trump endorsed 75 candidates, of whom 21 or 28 percent won. This was the lowest win rate of the other national figures—nearly 50 percent of Vice President Pence’s endorsements won, and over 50 percent of Obama’s and Biden’s endorsees won. Sanders does the best, as his endorsees won 66 percent of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post

Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery

Thats pretty interesting. Where did you find that?

The simplest way to get a high average of candidates you endorse winning is to only endorse people who will win anyway, so that's not the best measure of the importance of the endorsement.

Interesting take from Vox:
    https://www.vox.com/2018/11/7/180717...elections-2018
    Moderate Democratic candidates were the big winners of swing congressional districts in the 2018 midterm elections, flipping most of the 28 key House districts from Republicans’ control and winning key gubernatorial races, including Michigan, Wisconsin, Kansas, and Illinois. Democrats’ net gain in the House was 26 seats.
    Progressive candidates flipped few of thoseseats. For the most part, the biggest upsets for the left occurred during the summer primaries; most of those districts were already blue and primed to elect Democrats. Many of the left-wing candidates who tested the theory of turning out their base, even in more conservative districts, lost on election night.

"Overall, though, we've gone from what looked like what looked like about D +33 House and R +3-4 Senate late Tuesday night to what now could wind up more like D +36-40 House and R +1-2 Senate. Probably enough to merit a reassessment" Nate Silver

Looks like Sinema will overtake McSally, and Nelson is still in it, too!
    Steve Martinsen

Perhaps there is hope for the Georgia race after all?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Florida just can’t seem to figure out this election business.

Something Very Odd Happened With Broward County’s Ballots in the Florida Senate Election

Florida has retained the championship belt for election shenanigans, as three statewide races could be headed for a recount.
    The gap between Rick Scott and Bill Nelson, in the election for the latter’s Senate seat, has only continued to narrow. The race was already within the 0.5 percent margin needed to trigger a recount on Wednesday, when Scott had roughly a 35,000-vote lead. That’s been cut in half to about 17,000 as ballots have continued to come in. While Scott is still the favorite to ultimately win, FiveThirtyEight has shifted the race from “likely Republican” to “lean Republican.”
    One reason for hope for Nelson is that a traditionally Democratic area, Broward County, has so far reported fewer votes for the Senate race compared with the gubernatorial race, according to data compiled by MSNBC’s Steve Kornacki. In other Florida counties, no such discrepancy exists. While some of the discrepancy could be due to genuine undervotes—for instance, the design of the ballot may have led some voters to miss it and not vote in that race—it’s possible that the county hasn’t correctly counted all the ballots. About 24,000 ballots in Broward County registered a vote in the governor’s race but not for the Senate race.

The discrepancy with the Senate race tally is consistent down the ballot, with more votes cast in lower-profile races like commissioner of agriculture, chief financial officer, and attorney general than in the Senate race, according to the preliminary county results. As of Thursday afternoon, a total of 675,216 votes had been counted in the Senate race in Broward (466,321 for Nelson and 208,895 for Scott). By comparison, the gubernatorial race had 701,080 cast in Broward, and even the commissioner of agriculture race had 685,440 total votes while the chief financial officer race had 685,017 votes.
    Democratic election lawyer Marc Elias told the Sun Sentinel that he thinks the undervotes were due to voting machines not detecting genuine votes. “I am pretty confident what you are going to see are markings that were not picked up by the machines or a calibration issue that was not registering that part of the ballot,” he said.
    Meanwhile, the count in Florida’s gubernatorial race has also tightened, meaning that there could be an automatic recount there too if it ends up with a margin of less than 0.5 percent. Republican Ron DeSantis now has a 38,515-vote lead, or 0.47 percent. While Gillum conceded late Tuesday night, he said in a statement Thursday that “it has become clear there are many more uncounted ballots than was originally reported” and that the campaign “is monitoring the situation closely and is ready for any outcome, including a state-mandated recount.”

In a third statewide race, Democrat Nikki Fried has eked out a 575-vote lead over Republican Matt Caldwell for agriculture commissioner, a margin well under the 0.5 percent requirement for seeking a recount.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...medium=twitter