Thread: Fuse question

Default Fuse question

I'm trying to repair instead of replace. I think this guy is called a micro mini. It is 10 mm long. 3amps.

IMG_20181106_124842319.jpg

I'd like to replace it in a string of Xmas lights. This fuse sits inside the plug along with another just like it.

I'm only able to find replacements rated at 2.5 amps, which may be fine. But they are 2.5A 250V.

Is that a suitable replacement? I'm guessing that 2.5 amps at 250v will be heavier than intended but there are probably conventions I am not aware of.

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: Fuse question

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

It is just fine. The voltage only describes the maximum voltage the fuse will stop. If you put that fuse into a 480 V circuit, it may arc and not break the circuit if overloaded. In a 120 V circuit, it will work correctly.

Got a chuckle out of that.

That makes sense. Thanks!

.22 short

hahahhahah!!!

I miss Jack Grebe! RIP Jack!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

It might actually work as a fuse, but a fuse blowing is supposed to contain the damage within itself. And it might take a bit more than 3 A to make it pop.

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    It might actually work as a fuse, but a fuse blowing is supposed to contain the damage within itself. And it might take a bit more than 3 A to make it pop.

you try it first!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I think the stories about cartridges being used as fuses, and then exploding, are purely apocryphal.

In a typical installation, the wires would probably burn, long before the cartridge heats up. There wouldn't be enough resistance in the brass shell and metallic bullet, to generate much in the way of heat.

Makes for a good myth, though

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-bullet-fuse
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Re: .22 short as a fuse - don't laugh. My mechanic showed me a car that was brought in for repair that had this fuse type installed, right beside the driver's left leg. Never underestimate the possibility of criminally stupid people operating in society unchecked.

Ooops - cross post with Norman. I guess what I saw with mine own eyes did not exist.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

So, it is effective. Probably not as a fuse, but it will keep the headlights on.

A cartridge exploding not encased in a barrel will result in the brass rupturing. The lead projectile being heavier than the brass will be less affected. There wont be much energy carried by the brass shrapnel. Id be worried about a eye injury but little else.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

^you try it first!
    Skip

Have had first hand experience that bullets do fly out of cartridges with some velocity.
    Aged 7, my pals and I stuck a belt of .303 bullets in a tin can, and stuck it on a fire.
    It did a merry dance, with bullets going everywhere; probably not a lot of velocity but enough to make holes in the can and kick up dirt..
    We were peering over the top of a dry ditch about 30 feet away.
    My pal next door used to clamp them in the vice in his dad's garage, and bang them with a nail; the bullets went through the timber end wall.
    We survived, by luck.

ETA a bit of info.
    Last edited by birlinn; 11-06-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    A cartridge exploding not encased in a barrel will result in the brass rupturing. The lead projectile being heavier than the brass will be less affected. There won’t be much energy carried by the brass shrapnel. I’d be worried about a eye injury but little else.
    Exactly. Many times a burning helicopter would have M-60 (7.62 mm) rounds cook off. Lots of noise but not much to it except the tracers would sometimes spin through the air like fireworks. No real velocity, just spinning willy-nilly. I'm sure the ball ammunition goes flying too but it's not visible.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

My BIL dug spent casings out of their 2nd storey roof after the Fort Mac fires.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.