Thread: America for sale

Default America for sale

America for sale: 38% of all election funding comes from 0.0001% of Americans (and just 2,210 people account for 25% of the total)

0.5% of Americans given $200 or more in campaign contributions, accounting for 66% of all campaign funding, but that's nothing: only 0.0001% give $10,000 or more, and their donations are 38% of all the money sloshing around in US electoral campaign coffers.

That means a mere 37,000 people account for more than a third of US campaign finance, out of a population of 325,700,00 people. But even these 37,000 are small fry compared to the 2,210 people who account for 25% of all campaign spending: $1.1 billion in total.

And of course, that's just the money we know about. Thanks to Citizens United, which allowed for unlimited, anonymous campaign spending, there's billions more spent by "dark money groups" whose funders are a secret.

https://www.ibtimes.com/campaign-spe...-comes-2729895

(Now, I disagree with the central premise of the article, because I think campaign spending is also a problem; campaign spending limits would even the democratic playing field and reduce candidates' reliance upon donors to whom they are later indebted.)

What are you doing about it?

Default Re: America for sale

Itís such a simple fix. You should only be able to give money to candidates and causes where you are eligible to vote. Corporations and other non voting entities would be ineligible to give money. Lobbyists would be ineligible to give money to campaigns for for any reason. Simple stupid. Never gonna happen. The inmates are running the asylum.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Yes, it is simple. Those in power under present rules are NOT going to change the rules.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Other countries have managed to bring in campaign finance reform, along with electoral district reform and other neutral-third-party solutions to electoral challenges, but it seems to require a basic sense of fair play on both sides of the aisle... which seems to have been conspicuously lacking in US politics since at least Watergate, and arguably since the country was founded.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    America for sale: 38% of all election funding comes from 0.0001% of Americans (and just 2,210 people account for 25% of the total)

0.5% of Americans given $200 or more in campaign contributions, accounting for 66% of all campaign funding, but that's nothing: only 0.0001% give $10,000 or more, and their donations are 38% of all the money sloshing around in US electoral campaign coffers.

That means a mere 37,000 people account for more than a third of US campaign finance, out of a population of 325,700,00 people. But even these 37,000 are small fry compared to the 2,210 people who account for 25% of all campaign spending: $1.1 billion in total.

And of course, that's just the money we know about. Thanks to Citizens United, which allowed for unlimited, anonymous campaign spending, there's billions more spent by "dark money groups" whose funders are a secret.

(Now, I disagree with the central premise of the article, because I think campaign spending is also a problem; campaign spending limits would even the democratic playing field and reduce candidates' reliance upon donors to whom they are later indebted.)
    If I wished to contribute, I would find $10K to be well within my means. I am sure many people here could afford to give at least $10K. They just make a choice not to.

https://www.opensecrets.org/overview...mographics.php seems to be the source of the statistics. It appears both parties benefit from large donations.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Itís such a simple fix. You should only be able to give money to candidates and causes where you are eligible to vote. Corporations and other non voting entities would be ineligible to give money. Lobbyists would be ineligible to give money to campaigns for for any reason. Simple stupid.
    ^^^^
    THIS!!!

Never gonna happen.
    Yes.

The inmates are running the asylum.
    Absolutely.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

America may be for sale, but I think I'd rather live in the suburbs. I'm thinking Nova Scotia?

"When there is an accumulation of money and power into fewer and fewer hands, people with the mentality of gangsters come to the fore. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" -- Lord Acton <Keep in mind that he's British, and he said this in 1877. This is not the first time the pattern has played out>

It's an old pattern... and pernicious. The longer you let it go, the further embedded the tendrils become.

But it really IS reversible. We have a number of historical examples that show that.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Yes. The question is whether it's too late to reverse it within the structure of the country as it exists, or whether it is necessary to make a new one out of the ashes of the old. There are structural problems with the current constitution that highlight the question.

Yes. The question is whether it's too late to reverse it within the structure of the country as it exists, or whether it is necessary to make a new one out of the ashes of the old.
    Trump will fix it. Let him burn it down. Only he has the wherewithal to remain independent. Only he has the ability to self fund campaigns. Only he can fix it.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    "When there is an accumulation of money and power into fewer and fewer hands, people with the mentality of gangsters come to the fore. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" -- Lord Acton <Keep in mind that he's British, and he said this in 1877. This is not the first time the pattern has played out>
    It is too sad that out of 11 million households in the top 10% so few gave substantial amounts of money to support their desired outcome. But perhaps most of them see little to no difference between the Democrats and the Republicans.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    It is too sad that out of 11 million households in the top 10% so few gave substantial amounts of money to support their desired outcome. But perhaps most of them see little to no difference between the Democrats and the Republicans.
    Very few of the rest of the households in the households have the kind of money to sway the election - they're more concerned with day to day expenses. Do you really think that the top 10% should be influencing the elections?

There should be less money in politics, not more.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

It’s such a simple fix. You should only be able to give money to candidates and causes where you are eligible to vote. Corporations and other non voting entities would be ineligible to give money. Lobbyists would be ineligible to give money to campaigns for for any reason. Simple stupid. Never gonna happen. The inmates are running the asylum.
    This...plus a limit of ten dollars per person. That gives every donor equal weight and still has the potential to raise more than $2 Billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Puttputt View Post
    This...plus a limit of ten dollars per person. That gives every donor equal weight and still has the potential to raise more than $2 Billion.
    Just a quick note that it is estimated that over $6.5B US was spent in the 2016 election.
    -William A. Ward

It’s such a simple fix. You should only be able to give money to candidates and causes where you are eligible to vote. Corporations and other non voting entities would be ineligible to give money. Lobbyists would be ineligible to give money to campaigns for for any reason.
    That is taking a rather parochial view of the world. We have national issues, not just those in our backyard and for better or worse our system of government is run by the Speaker of the House and the President Pro Tempore (I had to go look that up). Why shouldn't I be able to support or oppose either of them?

Lobbyists always get a bad rap, unless they are on your side. I've said it before and will say it again, we are all part of at least one special interest group or another. How many organizations do you think there are working to improve or maintain our access to the water so we can navigate our little wooden boats in and out of the harbor? They represent the collective interests of the group. Why should I not be able to support an organization dedicated to furthering my interests?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

You’re just trying to distract us from the odious Russian meddling. What’s 4 billion worth of influence compared with the diabolical Facebook ads?
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseLockedLoop View Post
    You’re just trying to distract us from the odious Russian meddling. What’s 4 billion worth of influence compared with the diabolical Facebook ads?
    I am prepared to concede that both could be a problem.

Is it possible some of that $4 bn went to Facebook? Trolls don't have to be Russian. They could be homegrown.

Politicians have always been for sale, everywhere to one extent or another. Some political systems facilitate the trade more than others.