Thread: Solar Powered Vent

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Solar Powered Vent

Anyone have experience with these?
    I'm thinking of swapping my 3 traditional vents for 2 of these.

vent.jpg

Says 900 cubic feet an hour, that'd be my whole boat refreshed in 30mins.
    I'm wondering about efficacy, durability, longevity and can it take someone standing on it when they lose their footing......?
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Default Re: Solar Powered Vent

Yep, they work. Don't know what brand you have posted there. I've had 3 different brands in two boats. One was quite old but kept on chugging away. They make some noise -- enough to bother some people but not most. Most have a battery so they keep running after dark.

There is a switch that on some is hard to find and operate. Also, closing and opening is easier on some. If you can get your hands on the models you're interested in and play with them, I advise you check out these features.

Understand what they do is prevent the air from getting stale -- especially when the boat is otherwise locked up on the mooring or in a slip. Don't expect a cool breeze on a hot night from one of these. You need a lot more fan for that.
    -Dave

Thanks Woxbox, that's helpful.
    Just keeping the air moving and fresh is exactly what i want.
    The on/off and noise factor is a good call - glad you mentioned that.
    Cheers
    T
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."

I had one that was cheap and did not last. Ordered a replacement vent, kept the housing once, went out again. About 4 years ago I bought the Nicro, it has worked well. So far seems good, but not cheap.

I have one that’s piped into a composting head. Does the trick nicely.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

My friend has an older wood schooner that had a bunch or mold/mildew and a little rot in his LONG schooner lazarett.
    I did a repair, was difficult to even GET back there. Wood shavings and crap from a job 30 years earlier.
    It had a passive bronze mushroom vent, which I replaced with two solar vents.
    Last year I made the trek into the wayback to see how things are going...things were nice n fresh.

One model that I have on aft deck had a rechargeable battery that died - then it did not work at all. Had to take the battery out, works now ok...

Good, but pricey. Get the one with the stainless cover. The plastic ones crap out quickly.

That said, many have saved a lot of money with a DIY job. A small solar panel, which could be detachable, and a "pancake" fan from an old computer, which run at 7 volts DC, IIRC, placed beneath a ventilator did the trick.

Had a cheap, and the motor gave out fairly quickly. Just got a new one (Nicro), that seems more substantial. Basic idea is good, although there used to be a brass option that doesn't seem available anymore.

Default Solar Powered Vent

I was thinking of this one; https://www.wheelsnboats.com.au/Mari...-P5073904.aspx

One forward in the chain locker - which has a vent into the V berth.
    And one aft behind the cockpit, it would vent the engine space and all the lockers. Both extracting.
    I'm thinking the air would then be pulled in through the cabin top passive vents and circulate through the boat that way. Gotta remember to keep the engine/saloon door open....

I would place over the bee berth, but concerned about shipping water when the bow takes a wave.
    Last edited by gypsie; 11-07-2018 at 01:55 AM.

Our "Nicro Day/Night plus" has been working well for a few years but is loud (right over our berth) so I turn it off at night. It has both a suck and a blow fan which is easy to exchange but we only use the exhaust version. Even without the fan on it works well as a passive vent.

Hope that helps,

Alan

I installed a Marinco solar vent in the spring and it worked fine all summer. Around mid September it quit, not getting enough light probably. I am in Southeast Alaska around 58 degrees N. I attached a computer type fan wired into the boats 12v system and it runs all the time now and I can't hear it unless my ear is practically touching it. It is much quieter than the inbuilt fan. I regret installing the solar vent. I wish a similar vent was available that ran on hard wired 12v.
    Last edited by Fritz Koschmann; 11-07-2018 at 01:28 PM.

I have one in my forepeak. No battery, runs from dawn to dusk, even on cloudy winters days. Makes me feel good. Haven't had the boat out in rough weather since I installed it, so don't know what it's like at keeping serious water out. Fingers crossed. Planning to install one or two more.

I'll be buying 2 then i think.
    The lower profile will also de-clutter the decks a bit. But lose that more traditional look, which i'm okay with. i can always re-install later if i feel nostalgic.